Dear Ninjutsu Practioners....

C

chaosomega

I'm very curious as to how you train. What types of striking, grappling, blocking, etc... techniques you do.

I became quite interested after I watched some videos on a website where most of the competitors (they were MMA type matches, held in someone's backyard) were trained in some form of ninjutsu. As my primary form of training is not unlike MMA, I was wondering also how well ninjutsu would work in this type of competition. Thanks for your time!

OP
M

Mon Mon

Ninjutsu is not about competitions. I feel its degrading to compete in a sport fight if your learning ninjutsu because of its tradition and history. Ninjutus is ment for combat and protection of yourself country and family it is not to be used for entertainment this is degrading to the skills of the art.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by chaosomega
I became quite interested after I watched some videos on a website where most of the competitors (they were MMA type matches, held in someone's backyard) were trained in some form of ninjutsu. As my primary form of training is not unlike MMA, I was wondering also how well ninjutsu would work in this type of competition. Thanks for your time!

I do not think you would be interested in true ninjutsu. The guys you saw may have been fakes, or they may have been some Bujinkan members who train in ninjutsu along with other arts. But they were probably not doing real ninjitsu.

Real ninjutsu was used to escape from a blown mission, not stick around and beat the other guy up. Had they tried to do so, the rest of the guard force would have surrounded them and they would be dead. Thus, ninjutsu is basically about getting away when you can. This would not make it difficult to be effective in a competetive situation where you are not allowed to run away as a condition of victory. For a woman trying to avoid a rape, yes it is good. But the purpose of ninjtsu is not to stick around long after being discovered, and that is exactly what you have to do in a competition.

You might try a Bujinkan dojo anyways. As I said, one part fo the training is ninjutsu, but other aspects like Takagi Yoshin ryu with its joint locks may be of help. But honestly, I do not think it will help much. Too much time is spent in most dojos I know dealing with things you don't have to deal with in the ring, like knives, running away and multiple attackers. If you spend too much time dealing with these matters you will be giving the advantage to your potential opponents who spend all of their time just dealing with what they will see in the ring.

Latest Discussions