Ninjutsu health benefits & bobdybuilding

fatninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys!, Me again, I have a question about getting lean and bodybuilding in conjunction with practicing Ninjutsu, I know stretching is paramount to maintaining body health and practicing some of the leaps and leaping rotations are good for cardio. I am aware that Hatsumi Sensei stretches every day and is limber and spry for his age.The general concensus in my class is that bodybuilding is degenerative and not practical for Ninjutsu, I'm not talking about getting huge as I'm 50, but I was trying for a more lean Bruce Lee type physique,I am a bodybuilding fan but as I have a torn bicep and rotator cuff tendonitis, I was wondering if my gym endeavors are counter productive to my Ninjutsu training? Opinions please :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's only one way ninjutsu doesn't have health benefits....and that's if you attack a ninjutsu guy when drunk lol.

Jokes aside just do what you want it won't make you any worse or better at your technique so if you want to spend time in the gym go for it if not then don't. Either way it won't make you better or worse at martial arts

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One issue you have is ninjitsu is a closed shop. They are mad keen to not let on what their training entails or how to supplement any of it. And the theory is that it is somehow unique.

This forces you to refer Any questions about your martial arts to your instructor. Rather than say in this case going to a fitness coach or on line to us to get exercise tips.

If you remember the thread on rolling. You can't just roll you have to roll in some sort of specific manner. And learning to roll in any other way will break your whole martial art or something.

Now having said that and with the knowledge I know bugger all about how ninjas,ninja. If their training is fundamentally different to anyone elses I will eat my hat. (Which is small and made of chocolate)

So basically fighting is physical. There is no getting around that. The stronger you are the fitter you are and the more flexible or the more control you have over your body the better martial artist you will be.

So a program of exercises suited to your age injury level and health will be beneficial to your martial arts.

For my martial art I do things like circuit training, body weight, doing some cool things with balance balls and some yoga. I have found leg exercises and core exercises especially helpfull if you have to maintain good posture.

In fact finding a posture and movement coach was one of the best things we did as a gym.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I would say any fitness training is a good thing from a Bujinkan perspective - the principle is to have a natural balance between strength and flexibility
In various ryuha there are specific training exercises to develop a good body for martial arts. They are nothing special really, but tailored to the kinds of movements used in the art
For example I personally like to use heavy weapons (e.g. scaffolding poles) as they develop both technique and strength simultaneously

The only observation that I'd have is that if you're pushing your body too hard for your age then you'll get injuries which will limit what you can do in training, but probably that's an obvious point

I don't think that the training is a closed shop - please feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer

White Belt
Reaction score
It really just depends on the teacher and their style of teaching class. Firstly, ninjutsu in and of itself is not a martial art. Secondly, its not going to teach you 'how to fight'. It is about self protection and survival to get away, not win fights. Its actually taijutsu (body movement art) based on and including training kobudo (weapons). Different practitioners will tell you slightly different things, because of who they train with. I train in the Bujinkan, and its just as Dunc described above. You can make your trainings as easy going or as intense as you like.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!, Me again, I have a question about getting lean and bodybuilding in conjunction with practicing Ninjutsu, I know stretching is paramount to maintaining body health and practicing some of the leaps and leaping rotations are good for cardio. I am aware that Hatsumi Sensei stretches every day and is limber and spry for his age.The general concensus in my class is that bodybuilding is degenerative and not practical for Ninjutsu, I'm not talking about getting huge as I'm 50, but I was trying for a more lean Bruce Lee type physique,I am a bodybuilding fan but as I have a torn bicep and rotator cuff tendonitis, I was wondering if my gym endeavors are counter productive to my Ninjutsu training? Opinions please :)
Bodybuilding without sufficient stretching will hamper your training. Strength/mass building WITH proper stretching and flexibility training will actually enhance your training.

As for the injuries, get with a personal trainer or physical therapist about how to recover from those and build strength/mass without making them worse.

Latest Discussions