Daylight Savings Time

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone remember? ;)

I'm borrowing this from Crushing because it's so cool...

spring_fall.jpg

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My watch automatically calibrates itself daily to a clock in Colorado. Since my watch is at least three years old, I figured that this new DST schedule would screw it up. It didn't. How do it know?!

I figured that the Colorado clock just broadcast GMT and local clocks adjusted accordingly. This new information leads me to believe that the Colorado broadcast is far more sophisticated.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
My VCR is now and forever more screwed up....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My watch automatically calibrates itself daily to a clock in Colorado. Since my watch is at least three years old, I figured that this new DST schedule would screw it up. It didn't. How do it know?!

I figured that the Colorado clock just broadcast GMT and local clocks adjusted accordingly. This new information leads me to believe that the Colorado broadcast is far more sophisticated.

All mine worked, and I went through the same reasoning...I thought only GMT was broadcast but there must be another (part of the) signal that indicates whether DST is on or off.

It's all in the little computer chip, shuto!

It must be in the signal...the chip couldn't have had this programmed in. They didn't know it would happen!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My computer is off by an hour...all the posts are showing an hour behind...:idunno:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My computer is off by an hour...all the posts are showing an hour behind...:idunno:

Nevermind...I fixed it. Had to change my computer manually and had to reset my DST in my User CP

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My computer picked up the daylight savings time change no problem.

Did I mention that I really dislike daylight savings time!
icon9.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why Brian?

Personally I think it is a waste. Here in Michigan when we turn the clocks back it is dark in the morning and dark at 5:30 pm. If you work you probably are not going to see alot of light unless of course you are outside. Then on the flip side when the clocks spring ahead it is light in the morning and light till much later at night. :idunno: With small kid's it is a hard sell job that it is time to go to bed when it is still light at 8:30 pm.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate daylight saving time it is a stupid way of doing things except you want more sunlight

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may be the lone voice out but I LOVE daylight savings time. It gets dark too quickly over here on the coast :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dislike Daylight Savings Time because it has outlived its usefulness; it was originally intended to save energy by having businesses open during daylight when they wouldn't have to pay for lighting; that's no longer relevant in today's society in many places - for example, I work in an interior room, and the lights are on regardless. It's a waste, to me.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For all of you that dislike DST, move to Saskatchewan! We don't participate in daylight savings time here. There is annual debate that rages about whether we should do it or not, and the debate continues to rage, but we still don't change our clocks. Hopefully, we never do.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DST comes in handy for the early weeks of golf league. Without it, it would be tough to finish a round before dark.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a clock radio in my bedroom that sets its time automatically. It didn't pick up the change in daylight savings time.

And as a computer professional, the last couple weeks have been a big pain in the butt. However, I really believe that the pain comes from poor planning by equipment manufacturers, software programmers, etc. Hopefully after the big expenditures from Y2K and this daylight savings time switch, people will start designing more flexible systems.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you current on Windows updates?

I think so...

I went and checked and everything seemed to be updated. It was just weird and I have never had that problem before :idunno:

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a clock radio in my bedroom that sets its time automatically. It didn't pick up the change in daylight savings time.

Interesting. My watch has an indicator that tells me if it was successful in receiving the signal. It took a couple days for it to be successful last fall which caused it to be out of sync for a short period after the DST transition. I wonder if you are experiencing a similar problem

I have a weather station that I received for Christmas last year that has an atomic clock as well. It also updated successfully. This one was not as surprising to me since it could have had software that accomodated the new DST period.

Anyone else have a screwed up MS Office calendar? Some of my meeting are correct and some aren't. I haven't determined what the difference is yet.

I wonder if things will be screwed up next fall as well?

Latest Discussions