The universe has a cruel sense of humor

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last fall, when daylight savings time rolled around, I decided not to set my clocks back. I figured I'd wait until March and then my clocks would be correct again. I've been waiting 6 months for my clocks to go from being wrong to being right.

Sunday, at 1:00 in the morning, my power went out. So those clocks never righted themselves. I still had to set them when power was back in the morning.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know exactly where you’re coming from with not wanting to change the clock, but I have to as you and myself: are they really that difficult to change?

Except for the clocks on VCRs. Those were impossible. I never met anyone who actually set the time or had it set longer than the first unplug/power outage.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know exactly where you’re coming from with not wanting to change the clock, but I have to as you and myself: are they really that difficult to change?

Except for the clocks on VCRs. Those were impossible. I never met anyone who actually set the time or had it set longer than the first unplug/power outage.

The clocks are ones I don't look at very much. It was easy to remember they're an hour off. The ones I use regularly either automatically update, or I made sure they were correct.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like using my smart phone to tell the time... no resets needed... I have 2 clocks, a microwave, and an oven I reset. I don't bother messing with my VCR player time...

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You still have a VCR?

I don't use it cause I have a blue ray player ,yet I haven't thrown it in the trash... it sits there collecting dust... on rare occasions I like to turn it on just to know it still works ,but thats about it...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like using my smart phone to tell the time... no resets needed... I have 2 clocks, a microwave, and an oven I reset. I don't bother messing with my VCR player time...
you have a VCR player ? blue ray is very old tech, throw it out man

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't use it cause I have a blue ray player ,yet I haven't thrown it in the trash... it sits there collecting dust... on rare occasions I like to turn it on just to know it still works ,but thats about it...
I suppose it would be a valid exercise to pop a VCR in and play it to remind yourself just how poorly they recorded video.

Everything that got recorded from my competition days was recorded on VCR and the playback is terrible. I have had it all converted to digital for posterity but that did nothing to improve the picture. Not much more than two grainy blobs moving around on the screen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose it would be a valid exercise to pop a VCR in and play it to remind yourself just how poorly they recorded video.

Everything that got recorded from my competition days was recorded on VCR and the playback is terrible. I have had it all converted to digital for posterity but that did nothing to improve the picture. Not much more than two grainy blobs moving around on the screen.

Are you sure that the recording isn't a good one and you weren't two grainy blobs?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, anything is possible. I wish I had kept an old CRT TV. I think VCR quality imagery might playback better on them.
It’s quite possible. I have a Nintendo 64. I played Goldeneye 007 a few months ago on my current TV. It looked horrendous. It was hard to read some of the stuff on the screen. It looked much better on my old CRT back in the day. People have posted side by side pics showing the same thing. Quite possibly the same thing as your VCR.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hawaii has it down right. We don't change clocks. They say out here "if you want more light, get up earlier."

Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Northern Marina Islands; the U.S. Virgin Islands; American Samoa; and Guam. none do the silly daylight savings thing.....and I like that....of course China does not do it ether....and they only have 1 time zone...so when it is 7:00am in Shanghai...it is also 7:00am in Chengdu....1,217 miles away

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer daylight savings time and wish they would just keep it all year.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s quite possible. I have a Nintendo 64. I played Goldeneye 007 a few months ago on my current TV. It looked horrendous. It was hard to read some of the stuff on the screen. It looked much better on my old CRT back in the day. People have posted side by side pics showing the same thing. Quite possibly the same thing as your VCR.
I always assumed it was more of a "back then, it looked better because I didn't know what better was". Never thought to compare it on an old tv vs. current tv.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always assumed it was more of a "back then, it looked better because I didn't know what better was". Never thought to compare it on an old tv vs. current tv.
I thought the same thing. Then I noticed it was hard to read what was clear before. And everything was far darker.

I just read up about it a bit more. Evidently it depends on your specific TV and how it upscales. Some TVs just look more pixilated, while others look darker, blurrier, etc. It’s not a better vs worse/cheaper vs more expensive tv thing; it’s about what upscaling program the manufacturer used. Or something like that.

Evidently, the hardcore retro gamers own CRT tvs because they look better than any other TVs with these type games. At least that’s what I’ve gathered from seeing a ton of posts on forums when I googled how to get it to look better.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
(Best game... the multiplayer matches we had were epic... remote mines everywhere, the race to get the golden gun... ahhh good fun)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Slappers with health settings to simulate one shot kills, now THAT was a game of skill and reflexes.

Latest Discussions