New Daylight Savings Dates?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not verified this but thought I would share:

Currently, daylight time begins in the United States on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October. On the first Sunday in April, clocks are set ahead one hour at 2:00 a.m. local standard time, which becomes 3:00 a.m. local daylight time. On the last Sunday in October, clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 a.m. local daylight time, which becomes 1:00 a.m. local standard time. These dates were recently modified with the passage of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Pub. L. no. 109-58, 119 Stat 594 (2005). Starting in March 2007, daylight time in the United States will begin on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November.

Not all places in the U.S. observe daylight time. In particular, Hawaii and most of Arizona do not use it. Indiana just recently adopted the use of it beginning in 2006.

* In 2007, daylight time begins on March 11 and ends on November 4. [New law goes into effect.]
* In 2008, daylight time begins on March 9 and ends on November 2.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have not verified this but thought I would share:

Yes, my work verified this. The major pain is now the IT guys have to reset much of our online scheduling to comply with the new change and hopefully this will not screw up our system. I'm not sure if I like it as it is going to take a while to get used to this when I'm already used to changing in April and October. :disgust:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well our government can do anything they like they own all of us.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tell me again what is the real reason for changing the Daylight Savings time? I really don't see how much of a difference it makes other than drive us nuts trying to adjust physically for a week twice a year.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, my work verified this. The major pain is now the IT guys have to reset much of our online scheduling to comply with the new change and hopefully this will not screw up our system. I'm not sure if I like it as it is going to take a while to get used to this when I'm already used to changing in April and October. :disgust:

Whats worrying me is that I haven't heard much from my customers. I hope they either have their gear straight or they get it straight before hand...and not complain to us after the fact that it didn't work.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tell me again what is the real reason for changing the Daylight Savings time? I really don't see how much of a difference it makes other than drive us nuts trying to adjust physically for a week twice a year.

It goes back to getting the children who worked on the farms more daylight to work on the farm before or after going to school.

So do we truly need it, and is is just something that has carried over that has out lived its' usefulness, but is there because of tradition?

Also Indiana does not change and the reason why was based upon Train Timing. Not sure why they choose trains as the reasoning, but it might be that they had something.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It goes back to getting the children who worked on the farms more daylight to work on the farm before or after going to school.

So do we truly need it, and is is just something that has carried over that has out lived its' usefulness, but is there because of tradition?

Also Indiana does not change and the reason why was based upon Train Timing. Not sure why they choose trains as the reasoning, but it might be that they had something.

Arizona isn't complaining and they haven't lost their farms because of not changing. I think we should follow the lead of Arizona and Indiana.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a Y2K bug hidden in all of this.

The JAVA engines that have populated internet servers have proliferated across the globe. Determining what the ramifications of this time shift is keeping program managers awake at night. What apps use which run-time engines .... AArrgghhHH!!!! ?

I suppose the good part is .... that even if it turns out to be hell on Earth, it will only last three weeks. ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From FamilyInternetAbout:

History of Daylight Saving Time:

• First thought of by Benjamin Franklin in his 1784 essay, "An Economical Project".
  • On March 19, 1918, an Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States was enacted. Daylight Saving Time was set to begin on March 31, 1918 until the end of World War I.
  • It was repealed in 1919.
  • President Roosevelt instituted year-round Daylight Saving Time during World War II. He called it War Time and it lasted from 1942 to 1945.
  • Daylight Saving Time was not a law after 1945 and some locations still used it, which created difficulties for scheduling.
  • The Uniform Time Act of 1966 was signed by President Lyndon Johnson. It had Daylight Saving Time begin on the last Sunday in April and end on the last Sunday in October. States that wanted to be exempt had to pass a State law to do so.
  • During the energy crisis in the 1970's, President Nixon signed into law, the Daylight Saving Time Energy Act of 1973. This extended Daylight Saving Time to longer periods in an effort to save energy.
  • In 1986 it was amended to start Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April and kept it ending on the last Sunday in October.
  • April 2005 - Starting in April 2006 Indiana will join 47 other states in observing DST.
  • On August 8, 2005, President Bush signed an energy bill that increased Daylight Saving Time from the second Sunday in March, to the first Sunday in November. (see pros and cons below)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<snip>
Pros and Cons of the Change in Daylight Saving Time in 2007

• Pros:
  • Energy use will be curtailed.
  • Halloween trick or treaters will get more daylight.
  • Longer "synthetic sunshine".
  • Cons:
  • Daylight Saving Time may reek havoc on computers and electronics. Microsoft plans an upgrade for their operating systems but items such as DVD players and VCRs are programmed for the old dates and are not able to be upgraded.
  • Other countries (Canada specifically) feel compelled to change also because their economy is so integrated with the U.S.
  • Airlines are opposed to the changes because of scheduling International flights.
  • Farmers are opposed because of the impact on livestock.
Personally, I would just as soon they got rid of it - I think that in today's society, where so many activities occur early in the morning, late at night, or around the clock, and artificial light is so prevalent, that it is time to stop changing to and from Daylight Saving Time each year.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's still controversial here in Indiana, somehow...and various counties keep trying to change their status.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a Y2K bug hidden in all of this.

The JAVA engines that have populated internet servers have proliferated across the globe. Determining what the ramifications of this time shift is keeping program managers awake at night. What apps use which run-time engines .... AArrgghhHH!!!! ?

I suppose the good part is .... that even if it turns out to be hell on Earth, it will only last three weeks. ;)

You're right about that! Except for the hell on Earth part. There actually may be two hell on Earths (hells on Earth?). . .the expansion of DST put on the front end of the old DST, and the expansion of DST put on the back end of the old DST.

I'm getting tired of DST at work. Just about everything needs a patch, from NetWare to Windows servers and from groupware and it's calendaring and scheduling entries to Blackberry services and their related devices. Making sure the JREs are up to date may be the worst.

Latest Discussions