Daito-ryu wrist locks

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
If he's not already familiar with the movements, it seems unlikely pictures in a book will help him identify what he sees later. A video series might, since he can see the movements. Of course, he'd likely need one that's closely related to how the techniques are performed at his target school, because a relatively new student won't easily recognize the similarities between different approaches.

The way I read the OP's post is that he was planning to do in-person training and was looking to find a good book to supplement what he was doing. I believe a good book can be very effective when used in this way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I read the OP's post is that he was planning to do in-person training and was looking to find a good book to supplement what he was doing. I believe a good book can be very effective when used in this way.
His original post (the OP of the OP) stated that he was planning to take classes. That's what I was referring to. I definitely think a book can be helpful after you've started training - even a book from a related art/style. I have my students pick up a book from the mainline of our art for just this reason.

Jameswhelan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OP
L

lifelongstudent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, allow me to give an example, as again I am not looking for a "how-to" book, because personal instruction is the only true way to learn a martial art. What I am trying to find is a list and description of like say, Kote Gaeshi. The purpose of this is to assist me (possibly others), in understanding the art quicker, to in essence "speak the language" quicker. From my experience, if one has a solid grasp of the basic "language", this is one less hurdle to get past. I did not not mean to cause hate or upset people, this is not the intent. I understand where Daito-ryu came from and the history. I also, have seen the vast amount of people apply the principles and evolve them into another "modern system". I want to thank everyone for the information they provided, but I have came up with a way to do what I was looking for.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'
Okay, allow me to give an example, as again I am not looking for a "how-to" book, because personal instruction is the only true way to learn a martial art. What I am trying to find is a list and description of like say, Kote Gaeshi. The purpose of this is to assist me (possibly others), in understanding the art quicker, to in essence "speak the language" quicker. From my experience, if one has a solid grasp of the basic "language", this is one less hurdle to get past. I did not not mean to cause hate or upset people, this is not the intent. I understand where Daito-ryu came from and the history. I also, have seen the vast amount of people apply the principles and evolve them into another "modern system". I want to thank everyone for the information they provided, but I have came up with a way to do what I was looking for.
I'm back to my original answer - check with the instructor. As others have noted, there's more than one branch of Daito-ryu, and names and descriptions may (in fact, will) differ among them. You want a book/source that aligns with what you're studying, so you don't add to the confusion that is always present when starting a new style.

Later, of course, any reasonable source on Daito-ryu will be useful in expanding your understanding.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'

I'm back to my original answer - check with the instructor. As others have noted, there's more than one branch of Daito-ryu, and names and descriptions may (in fact, will) differ among them. You want a book/source that aligns with what you're studying, so you don't add to the confusion that is always present when starting a new style.

Later, of course, any reasonable source on Daito-ryu will be useful in expanding your understanding.

Yeah. He went on and found it without help.

Amazing really.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. He went on and found it without help.

Amazing really.
No, you mean he took the lesson of not being allowed to find a list of terms for his work from the enlightened members of the forum, and went on to never try to learn anything outside of his dojo ever again. That's what they all do, posts saying otherwise are just lies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you mean he took the lesson of not being allowed to find a list of terms for his work from the enlightened members of the forum, and went on to never try to learn anything outside of his dojo ever again. That's what they all do, posts saying otherwise are just lies.

Thankfully he is saved from thinking the wrong thoughts.

(Look it is definitely not my thing that is for sure. I really like the community aspect of what I do. I like that I could go across the country find a guy and say. "Show me some wristlocks" and he would and if my instructor found his response would be "show me some wristlocks")

I don't know mabye some people need that structure. But there is a reason some martial arts are popular.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank God he wasn't asking for video.

Latest Discussions