Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu Video Clip!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian let me ask you a question when those four attack him how many times do you think he would be hit before he could turn all the people around, seriously the movement was great good flow with the techniques but how on earth can somebody do any of that against a real attacker?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Terry as I do not practice Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu then I would probably not be the best person to answer your question on this demonstration. However, in order for the sensei to do what he did would require them to be grabbing him and probably not striking at him. It does show some underlying principles that are true though, that if you can get one person moving and entangling others then they will work against each other. That does require certain things to be in place though.

Multiple attackers are nothing to scoff at even if they are untrained.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian let me ask you a question when those four attack him how many times do you think he would be hit before he could turn all the people around, seriously the movement was great good flow with the techniques but how on earth can somebody do any of that against a real attacker?

Terry, I don't practice Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu, but I do practice Aikido. In a real attack, he wouldn't have been standing there waiting to be attacked, he would have been moving and the attackers would have had to continually track him and try to keep up. He would also have been lining up the attackers so he would only have to face one at a time and keeping them off balance and/or using them as weapons against each other, and yes he would probably have been hit a couple of times, multiple attackers aren't easy and even the best practitioners have to realize that when there are multiple attackers who are actually trying to hit you, you are going to get hit.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I don't practice Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu, but I do practice Aikido. In a real attack, he wouldn't have been standing there waiting to be attacked, he would have been moving and the attackers would have had to continually track him and try to keep up. He would also have been lining up the attackers so he would only have to face one at a time and keeping them off balance and/or using them as weapons against each other, and yes he would probably have been hit a couple of times, multiple attackers aren't easy and even the best practitioners have to realize that when there are multiple attackers who are actually trying to hit you, you are going to get hit.

Thanks Morph and Brian for the answer, since I do not practice these arts, I was just curious.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Terry, in addition to the good points that Brian and morph4me made, I think we should also bear in mind that this demo, like pretty much all MA demos, is intended to be visually impressive. It's clear that the attacks are choreographed and the attackers are compliant. IMO there's nothing wrong with that - it's true of most demos. For example, just about every Hapkido demo I've ever seen is done the same way.

Having said that, what's going on in the demo is not representative of basic Daito-ryu training. Basic training consists primarily of kata-based practice of the 118 core techniques against a single attacker. As in any Jujutsu-based art, the level of intensity of the attacks depends on the individual students and their experience.

Defenses against multiple attackers is pretty advanced stuff.

Latest Discussions