Which is more effective aikido or daito ryu aikijujutsu?

MAN527

White Belt
Reaction score
I just want to know some opinions on which art is more street effective, between Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu and Aikido ?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is really another matter of "what works best for you"

What works for me in the streets may not work for you.

Personally my vote is with Daito Ryu Aikjujutsu, but again that is what would work better for me between the two choices.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The which is better debate has been beaten to death for just about every art that's out there. It really does depend on you, what you want from the art specifically and your instructor. Aikido can be very effective if that's what the school and instructor gear the training towards. Same with DRAJJ. If you have a school that is geared toward getting the kids into the dojo for after school programs then it's probably not gonna be very effective.

Now, as to which will be effective more quickly, all other things being equal, I'd have to say that the DRAJJ will be. Getting the more advanced ideas of Daito-ryu will take a long time, just as aikido, to grasp and implement. Remember that aikido traces its' lineage back to DRAJJ by most accounts and what you see in the aikido dojo you'll see a variation of in the DRAJJ dojo. Good luck and keep us posted.

Latest Discussions