D.C.'s money-saving plan: Free inmates

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the article: "If each eligible inmate earned an average of five days of good time, it would reduce the average inmate population by about 65 people."

Truly, a massive crime wave will be upon us.

This is actually going on all over the country, including places like Texas.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used to do it all the time anyway... The Lorton B&B wasn't particularly good at keeping the prisoners on the right side of the walls & fences...

And DC Jail doesn't exactly have a stellar track record, either.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Crime wave may be the whole point.

More crime, more need for cops and with all those guns going across the border (NOT!) then they crack down on gun owners. Disarmed good people sparks more crime since they can't fight back as well and thus more need to crack down on gun owners to stop all this crime (and at the same time release more prisoners to cut cost some more.)

Kind of like a vicious cycle except it's maybe designed that way.

Deaf

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crime wave may be the whole point.

More crime, more need for cops and with all those guns going across the border (NOT!) then they crack down on gun owners. Disarmed good people sparks more crime since they can't fight back as well and thus more need to crack down on gun owners to stop all this crime (and at the same time release more prisoners to cut cost some more.)

Kind of like a vicious cycle except it's maybe designed that way.

Deaf

Ya know, I'm as pro-2nd amendment as you can get and so are many (hell... most) of my co-workers. Sometimes people come off like broken records with the "Turner Diary" responses to every news article that comes down the pike. Are some politicians pursuing a gun-control agenda? Darn tootin they are. Does everything boil down to "jackbooted cops" rounding up gun owners? I don't think so.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm as pro-2nd amendment as you can get and so are many (hell... most) of my co-workers. Sometimes people come off like broken records with the "Turner Diary" responses to every news article that comes down the pike. Are some politicians pursuing a gun-control agenda? Darn tootin they are. Does everything boil down to "jackbooted cops" rounding up gun owners? I don't think so.

Arch,

No need for jackbooted thugs. We will just slowly disarm, bit by bit. Increatmentalism. Just like England did. At least if it wasn't for the NRA it would have been that way along time ago.

Deaf

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read recently (in an article by Senator Jim Webb) that the US has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the world's incarcerated. So...either we are the most criminally insane group of individuals ever assembled or a lot of our laws are and sentencing guidelines are absolutely ridiculous. I'm thinking its the latter.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't you get the memo? Jack-boot fitting is on Monday if your last name is A-M, and Tuesday if it's N-Z. Wednesday, all the cruisers are replaced by black SUVs with lightbars, and Thursday the black helicopters arrive.

Let's be real. Crime rates WILL rise over the next few years. The economy sucks. The chasm between the haves and have-nots will do nothing but get bigger. And the reality that President Obama can't deliver on his implied or actual promises is going to hit... Things ain't gonna be pretty.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read recently (in an article by Senator Jim Webb) that the US has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the world's incarcerated. So...either we are the most criminally insane group of individuals ever assembled or a lot of our laws are and sentencing guidelines are absolutely ridiculous. I'm thinking its the latter.
Or our system actually puts more people away effectively. In much of the world, the justice system is beyond corrupt. People don't make it to jails, for reasons ranging from bought "judges" to bought "police" and more. Or the jails are used as much for political purposes as criminal justice.

And then there's the whole issue of reporting. We actually DO report our jail rates, etc. Reasonably honestly. Hard to track people who simply disappear...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
DS, that is the worst sort of paranoid raving I have heard in a good long while. The last gun control bill currently has, lessee, yep ZERO cosponsors in the Senate. Not even Schumer or Feinstein want to touch it. But somehow the DC mayor and police are engaged in a nationwide plot to increase crime so that that Congress' secret plan to outlaw guns will suddenly develop overwhelming political support.

Aliens kidnapping Billy Bob to shove a probe up his chocolate starfish is more plausible.

The fact is, we cram more people into jail than anyone else. That includes China's political prisons. We have five percent of the world's population and twenty five percent of its prisoners. One in five adult Black men is incarcerated, on parole or on probation. But we still gibber about how we're "soft on crime". And our crime rate spiked under the Shrubus Minimus' police state.

It looks like the lock 'em all up and throw away the key philosophy is simply not working. And it's costing us a horrendous amount of money. The private prisons that were supposed to make it "efficient" have ended up costing an arm and a leg even when the owners aren't corrupting judges in order to pad their head count with children.

But none of that matters. Somehow it's all the fault of the evil liberals who want to take your toys away.

Gimme a damn break.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. Violent crime seems to be top of the charts across the boards.

http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/glance/tables/corrtyptab.htm

Lets let em all out...just to be fair.

What the DOCJ needs is to do away with mandatory minimums that take the offenders history and the Judges/Jury's discretion out of the equation. I have never agreed with those. Or with the 3 strikes rule. There are plenty of people who deserve to be locked away and the key thrown that have never managed 3 felony convictions. And some with 3 convictions that dont deserve life long imprisonment.

Latest Discussions