States may free inmates to save millions

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/ap_on_re_us/prisoners_early_release

Lawmakers from California to Kentucky are trying to save money with a drastic and potentially dangerous budget-cutting proposal: releasing tens of thousands of convicts from prison, including drug addicts, thieves and even violent criminals. Officials acknowledge that the idea carries risks, but they say they have no choice because of huge budget gaps brought on by the slumping economy.

Isn't this like robbing Peter to pay Paul? You save a little money today, and tomorrow have to pay twice as much cause of costs related to all the reoffenders?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't this like robbing Peter to pay Paul? You save a little money today, and tomorrow have to pay twice as much cause of costs related to all the reoffenders?

Hmmm...you're right...I don't see how this is going to save any money, because chances are, once the dirtbags are out, they'll do something to land themselves right back into the same place they left.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

They should start with the non-violent drug possession offenders. They are only a danger to themselves. The others should stay.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
What?

Budget cost problems for criminals?

Hell a box of .30-06 only runs about 12 bucks for 20, that's 20 inmate problems fixed for 12 bucks.

these people really need to prioritize their spending, I'm tellin ya.

On a more serious note:

Right.

Anyone who still blindly insists we are NOT poised on an inevitable and imminent societal collapse can shut up now, thank you very much.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What?

Budget cost problems for criminals?

Hell a box of .30-06 only runs about 12 bucks for 20, that's 20 inmate problems fixed for 12 bucks.

these people really need to prioritize their spending, I'm tellin ya.
.22 rimfire is much cheaper, you just need better aim...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'd have to keep'em all aimed in the "T"......

Five-five-six might be a suitable cost effective compromise....?
Rope! Rope is reusable, that will make the environmentalists happy. One 50 foot length could be used for five at a time hangings.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Rope! Rope is reusable, that will make the environmentalists happy. One 50 foot length could be used for five at a time hangings.

Hmm.

And those selected for the exercise would indeed "go green"....you may be onto something there.

I had been going to suggest perhaps surreptitiously altering their prescriptions or perhaps their last day's meals....but THAT would be "cruel and unusual".....

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
These are state governments, remember. It is not so easy for a state government to just print money or make a loan from a world bank. You kind of have to make due (unlike the federal government) -- sometimes, the buck DOES stop here with regard to states (or commonwealths, as in my case).

Anyone who still blindly insists we are NOT poised on an inevitable and imminent societal collapse can shut up now, thank you very much.

This would not include me. I am convinced of it.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
non violent drug offenders could be let go, that would free up some space. Or Andy's idea, which ever

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like John Carpenter's idea better. Turn the entire island of Manhattan into a maximum security prison and put all of the dirt bags in there to fend for themselves, a giant wall around the surrounding area, helicopter and radar sweeps to monitor and take out any possible escapes and there ya go.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Attachments

• $Snakeprison.jpg
    $Snakeprison.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 125

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
I spend way to much time at my unit dealing with criminals that are not necessarily dangerous to anyone but themselves. I think it would be very wise to give the minimum security offenders lots of probation, parole, and stiff fines as well as community service and other alternative sentences. The problem is that criminals don’t take responsibility for their life. Most of them believe that they are in prison because society or the man is keeping them down. For example, when I do a cell search and write a prisoner up for possessing contraband the most common reaction is that I am wrong for enforcing rules and correcting their bad behavior. Most criminals lack the intelligence and or the maturity to acknowledge the fact that they are wrong.

Most of the inmates in Texas prisons did not get sent to prison on a first offense. The bulk of the prisoners in my unit are repeat offenders. Most started young and there has been numerous attempts to reform them. There has to be consequences for criminal behavior. What do we do with these people when they flat out refuse to go along with their probation or parole? If they will not work a straight job a Taco Bell they will most likely not show up for their community service to work for free. It is very likely that the non violent offenders will be put right back in prison because most will not stay out of trouble and conform to what ever alternative sentencing measures that are prescribed.

As an aside, every Texas state corrections officer that was killed the line of duty was murdered by a minimum security inmate.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/ap_on_re_us/prisoners_early_release

I just read the article.

I like Carver's idea.

Manhattan Island.

And if anything should happen to the President of the United States landing on that island I elect Carver to go rescue the President because this was his idea. hehe. Carver has experience in scary places (I read the sub forum of how he survived the wrath of ladies in love with chocolates).

We also could make this prison like a reality tv show, because we need more of them.

Manhattan Island Survivor.

Latest Discussions