Cross-Training in Kuk Sool Won and Tae Kwondo

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the black belt handbook linked above:
2. Black Belts shall not exchange any technical knowledge with students or Instructors from other Martial Arts styles whatsoever.
3. Black Belts may not attend Martial Arts seminars organized by other Martial Arts styles, organizations, associations, etc. Black Belts may attend Kuk Sool Won™ seminars and workshops only. Black Belts must immediately inform the WKSA if he or she has knowledge that any member attends any Martial Arts instructions, seminars or workshops organized by associations other than the WKSA.
13. Black Belts must not wear any Black Belt other than those presented by or obtained from WKSA headquarters. Black Belts 1st and 2nd Degree shall wear the standard width black belt. Upon promotion to 3rd Degree and higher, the wider width Black Belt may be worn. A Black Belt may embroider their name (if desired) on the Belt provided from WKSA HQ only. Note: Only the name- no other embellishment.
14. All Black Belt Uniforms, Generals' Uniforms, Instructor Uniform, Training Uniform, BBC Pants and Patches must be obtained from WKSA or suppliers approved by WKSA in writing. Currently the only authorized supplier of these items is GayaWon, LLC.
16. Publishing or discussion of any personal information, disparaging remarks or statements, or grievances relating in any way to another member, any do-jahng, the Association, or any employee, officer or owner of the foregoing, is prohibited. This Handbook sets forth the acceptable way to discuss and resolve issues and must be followed. The use of internet forums, blogs and social networking sites to discuss grievances or other matters relating to the Association is prohibited. Any person found to be breaking this rule may have their Association membership revoked, thus forfeiting all privileges and rights of membership.
17. Black Belts must always be addressed by their proper martial art title both in and out of the School. Using WKSA titles, even among friends, shows the highest respect and courtesy.

Yeah ... I wouldn't touch this organization with a 10 foot pole, but that's just me. Not a fan of control freaks or cult-like institutions.

Jacob

White Belt
Reaction score
Did they say what that point was? In Korea, it wasn't uncommon that when a student in an art reached 3rd Dan, they would be encouraged to pick another art and earn a 1st Dan. Then decide if they wanted to stay with the new art, or return to the first art.

But if they are going to say you must choose at some point in the colored belt levels, I would ask why. Of course, if you choose to study there, when you reach that level, you may understand why and decide on your own. I thought my limited prior study of TKD was a help when I began studying Hapkido, but I had no desire to again take up TKD.
From my understanding off it from my instructor, They want to try and prevent Kuk Sool from being watered down with other arts. Kuk Sool was passed down generationally, and In Hyuk Suh, the grandmaster, is the first to teach it largely outside of the family. He doesn't want too many other martial arts to look like Kuk Sool and vice versa.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
From my understanding off it from my instructor, They want to try and prevent Kuk Sool from being watered down with other arts. Kuk Sool was passed down generationally, and In Hyuk Suh, the grandmaster, is the first to teach it largely outside of the family. He doesn't want too many other martial arts to look like Kuk Sool and vice versa.

I can understand one's belief in the art one teaches, and that it contains good techniques. But I have seen moves and techniques that I thought were good enough to learn. That whether or not they may be techniques taught at higher belts in Hapkido. A good technique is a good technique.

A good technique does not water down other arts, including my Hapkido, unless it strongly contradicts a specific application of techniques in that art. I think that unlikely in effective MA, but it might be possible.

If my teacher were not to wish to teach that, so be it. It would be his decision for himself and his school. I would probably wish to learn it anyway, and just wouldn't flaunt it in my Hapkido classes.

EDIT: I see you haven't gone to the Meet and Greet sub-forum and introduced yourself. It gives us a chance to know you a little better. At any rate, Welcome to MT.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I run into this with my martial art as well and I have heard this rational from different people in our community over the years. I also know that every one of them eventually quit because their fervor eventually dies out. For those of us us who stick around, we understand the need for distinctiveness in what we do. We also know that the reasons we train can be different then why others train, our attitudes towards what we do changes over time, and you can tip your hat towards quality techniques provided by other systems.

The thing with the passing down generationally is that it ends up being a game of phone tag. Every instructor will give you, not what they were taught, but their current understanding of what they have. That can be either be really good or really bad, but they might be required to pass on the information regardless. There is also the attitude that a particular system is promoting in regards to their system. When you mix systems, you mix attitudes and values. That is fine if everyone agrees on what they are, but when they do not, it causes issues. All you need to do is look at all the debates between traditional martial artist and the MMA community to get a feel for that one.