TKD and Kuk Sool Won

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, The thread of TKD mainly a kicking art made me wonder something and I wanted some of your opinions.

I have been in TKD for a month or so and feel as though I am picking it up pretty quickly. I currently go to TKD 4 or 5 times a week. I have a friend at my law school who is a 3rd dan in Kuk Sool Won. He has offered to instruct me in Kuk Sool Won. He is also taking TKD with me and he has suggested that I not worry about kicking as I am getting it in TKD.

Any comments or issues I should have thought of?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, The thread of TKD mainly a kicking art made me wonder something and I wanted some of your opinions.

I have been in TKD for a month or so and feel as though I am picking it up pretty quickly. I currently go to TKD 4 or 5 times a week. I have a friend at my law school who is a 3rd dan in Kuk Sool Won. He has offered to instruct me in Kuk Sool Won. He is also taking TKD with me and he has suggested that I not worry about kicking as I am getting it in TKD.

Every art has either different kicking techniques or variations on existing kicking techniques. I would think it's best to learn the techniques that exist in the art first, and then make a judgement as to what is usable and what isn't.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If your friend is going to teach you KSW, then he should just teach the full spectrum of it, not just bits and pieces. Chances are the kicks will most likely be similar to that of TKD but it doesn't hurt to learn them.

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks!! I will talk it over with him. I will add, however, that the reason he wanted to mainly focus on the other parts of Kuk Sool Won is the fact that we are pretty much strapped for time. That being said, I do think it would be beneficial for me to learn the kicks.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like your KSW friend is acknowledging that the TKD kicks you and he are practicing are either the same or similar enough that he is looking to train you in the other aspects of KSW. I think that's just great.

Good luck in your training and in school!

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a 5th dahn in chan hon tkd and a 2nd dahn in kuk sool hapkido (the art kuk sool won started out as).
I would definately say learn the kicks. There are some that are almost identical but then there are more that are a lot different. Plus, the soft style approach to kikcing that kuk sool uses ase opposed to the harder style of tkd is a very good thing to learn. I spent many years being a tkd guy learning hapkido before my instructor finally gave me the biggest compliment he could and called me a hapkidoin.
Do learn all that you can.

Dusty, kj

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My friend is going to clear it with our TKD instructor before he teaches me anything. He said that it is a matter of respect and courtesy.

I can't wait. Although, I have to wonder how effective would a mix of KSW and TKD be for SD purposes?