Create a Kata.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started doing this the day before yesterday and I must say it is a lot of fun, it is definitely a breathe of fresh of air from all the bag work and drills I been doing in and out of the dojo. It is also helping me with balance and over all technique, I know not everyone here like Kata but for those of you who have done it and or enjoy it, have you ever made your own before?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started doing this the day before yesterday and I must say it is a lot of fun, it is definitely a breathe of fresh of air from all the bag work and drills I been doing in and out of the dojo. It is also helping me with balance and over all technique, I know not everyone here like Kata but for those of you who have done it and or enjoy it, have you ever made your own before?
Welcome to my world. That is all I ever do on the grave-shift. I'm the boss, and he doesn't seem to mind. :)

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a cool boss.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never really tried myself. I don't see the point as I'd just be reshuffling the movements that are already found in the old kata.

It can be fun to choreograph a fight with a partner and I occasionally have my students do this. I guess that's a kata of sorts.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never really tried myself. I don't see the point as I'd just be reshuffling the movements that are already found in the old kata.

It can be fun to choreograph a fight with a partner and I occasionally have my students do this. I guess that's a kata of sorts.
Yes, it is.o_O

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One advantage to create your new form is to add techniques (or principles) that didn't belong to your MA system so the future generation will be benefited.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't create your own Kata.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because Katas were created by guys, probably men, people who were doing and teaching Karate. You know, Karate guys. Guys who were doing Karate, living Karate, breathing Karate, dedicating their life to Karate, teaching Karate.

Let's have no misunderstanding here, these weren't just your everyday guys, these were guys who were both laser focused on, dedicated to, and well know in, Karate, then, and well known in Karate now.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because Katas were created by guys, probably men, people who were doing and teaching Karate. You know, Karate guys. Guys who were doing Karate, living Karate, breathing Karate, dedicating their life to Karate, teaching Karate.

Let's have no misunderstanding here, these weren't just your everyday guys, these were guys who were both laser focused on, dedicated to, and well know in, Karate, then, and well known in Karate now.
Whatever that means. o_O

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have not tried this myself, but I believe Ip Ching created a form that combined elements of Wing Chun's three empty-hand forms.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When you "create a kata" you are really creating an ENBU...a martial performance.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

The only difference between they and I is the famous part. Plus this kata isn't exactly serving the same purpose as theirs. It is a fun way I can practice all of my techniques in a manner that flows together.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not terribly familiar with that word, but if it is pre-arranged, it is a kata, two man, or otherwise,

Basically, it is a kata with more than one person to show the real application of the kata.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only difference between they and I is the famous part. Plus this kata isn't exactly serving the same purpose as theirs. It is a fun way I can practice all of my techniques in a manner that flows together.

Nothing wrong with that, man. If doing that keeps training fun and exciting to you, then go for it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well now I'm going to disagree with you here. Anybody can create a kata. Whether or not that kata has any value, is worth practicing, and will be successfully passed along and continued by the next generation, is an entirely different issue.

If could be a misguided waste of time.

And not all of the older kata were created equal. I have experienced some kata that, in my opinion, were very poorly designed and are very problematic. So not all of the earlier generation of folks who created the kata that are now in the curriculum of all systems, were equally good and equally deserving of respect for the material that they left behind.

The exercise of creating a kata can be a good one. The results may or may not be good. The results may be valuable for the creator, even if it never survives to be passed to the next generation. It really depends.