Crazy monitor problem

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright. Here's what's happening. I have an older Dell. 17 inch monitor. The monitor will suddenly go black and the LED beside the power switch on the monitor will begin flashing on and off. After a while the monitor will come back up and work for a few seconds and then do the same thing over again. I'm actually typing this without seeing the screen right now as it's doing one of it's "things" at the moment. I've done a virus scan and come up with nothing. Unplugging it doesn't help, killing the tower doesn't help. What's going on? Do I need to replace the monitor or what?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Top guess is that the power-supply is on the way out as I had the same thing happen to my old 21" (which was a shame as she was a beauty). Certain voltage regulating elements eventually give up the ghost and altho' they are usually replaceable, these days the costs are higher than replacing the whole monitor.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds to me as if you're monitor is on it's way out, but on a positive note, you did a great job typing without being able to see the screen, well done :highfive:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Sukerkin said. Sounds like a good excuse to go flat-panel. You'll never look back!

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Sukerkin said. Sounds like a good excuse to go flat-panel. You'll never look back!
Flat panel is what I've got. It's back on now, for the moment at least. We have several computer "fix it" stores in the area. Maybe I can find a new power cable or just another monitor. I don't want to spend much as we're planning to replace the whole thing later in the year.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds to me as if you're monitor is on it's way out, but on a positive note, you did a great job typing without being able to see the screen, well done :highfive:
Tom, the monitor went out about three words into the post. Ain't it a sad statement to how much time I spend on this site that I can not only type out but submit a post without seeing the screen?:lol:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe I can find a new power cable or just another monitor. I don't want to spend much as we're planning to replace the whole thing later in the year.
It actually sounds more like the actual internal power supply, rather than the cord. Repair costs would probably be close to the price of a new monitor.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try borrowing a different monitor. If that fixes it, it's the monitor.
If it happens with a different monitor, it might be the video card.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good advice, Bob. It's always an excellent idea to swap parts out when diagnosing a problem - of course that's easy to say when I'm sitting in a room with five of them to hand :lol:.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It actually sounds more like the actual internal power supply, rather than the cord. Repair costs would probably be close to the price of a new monitor.

I would go along with Kreth on this one.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, this is possible. Although, IME graphics card issues usually either manifest as a complete lack of video, or issues crop up when using graphics-intensive apps (newer games, for example). This intermittent issue really does sound power related.
Still, it's worth a shot to check the card manufacturer for a newer driver, or the chipset manufacturer. It beats buying a new monitor.
I have been wrong before, but that's usually when arguing with my fiancee... :lol:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been wrong before, but that's usually when arguing with my fiancee... :lol:

I think we can all understand that.
icon6.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fixit stores often have spares that people have traded in on new items - monitors are right up there on the list of available items. If you can't borrow one from a friend, I'd ask at the store if they have a trade-in you can have cheap.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll second this... Had almost the same experience with several computers at work where the video cards went back. But I've also seen pretty near identical behavior by power supply problems (Or other problems) in the monitor.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On a side note, unless you "need" an inch thick monitor, consider visiting a thrift shop or two. I paid $20 for my current monitor at a thrift shop, it works great, looks fine, and has lasted 2½ years for me, so far. Retail is fine, but, if you don't have to pay it, don't.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Alright. Here's what's happening. I have an older Dell. 17 inch monitor. The monitor will suddenly go black and the LED beside the power switch on the monitor will begin flashing on and off. After a while the monitor will come back up and work for a few seconds and then do the same thing over again. I'm actually typing this without seeing the screen right now as it's doing one of it's "things" at the moment. I've done a virus scan and come up with nothing. Unplugging it doesn't help, killing the tower doesn't help. What's going on? Do I need to replace the monitor or what?

thats crazy i got the same thing as you and it does the same thing that yours does, here is what i do ,,when it flashes i hit the back , but you have to be in time with the flash, i know that this sounds crazy, but it works, btw i think that we all need a new one,anyway that is what i do, don't hit it hard just a tap,and it will work, now you might have to tap it up to 6 times before it works, but sometimes i hit it just once,let me know:eye-popping:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I want to say something that might be of interest. At the house where I live I have two boxes using one monitor with a KVM switch -- this is a nice, hardware KVM switch of some kind that someone gave me, and I have confidence that it is "known good".

Okay, the PRIMARY box is running OpenBSD, that is my firewall, but I also have X on there and a browser and so forth. I will use it without fail. The monitor never fails with this box.

Now, I have a SECOND box with the Vector Linux on there. I boot this box up occasionally, to watch videos and so forth (it has more proprietary CRAP software on there to render videos and so forth -- I do not want such things on my firewall).

Now, when this Vector Linux box is running, SOMETIMES the monitor will do this -- it will go black, and the led lights will flicker, in a line, from left to right.

At that point, I kill X, with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and start it again, with `startx`. Okay, the window manager starts again, no problem, and away I go.

I say that to say this -- this suggests to me that at least in my case, the problem is NOT with the monitor, as the monitor has never done this while the KVM puts the video output of the Primary box to the monitor.

Regrettably, I have never "switched" the KVM while the problem was happening, as that would be the way to prove this one way or the other.

EDIT -- this monitor is some kind of cathode-ray oldschool monitor, not a flat panel one.

Oh -- and to type with no echo to the screen -- the able martial artist can do this kind of thing, no problem, as we see here!!! Especially the Aikido person -- once they have contact, they know where everything is!

Latest Discussions