Cost of training

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought since we have members from all over the world, that it would be interesting to see the range of fees that were/are charged (if any), and where.

• What was/is the cost of monthly tuition (or how does it work in your school)?
  • What did/does it cost for the various kup/gup belts tests?
  • What did/does it cost for a first Dan?
  • What was/are the costs of gradings beyond the first Dan?
  • Are these school or organizational fees?

TAGBmark

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not certain of the conversion rate but to answer your questions:

- Monthly Tuiton is £32, but you can go 4 times a week for that, so it's only £2 for a 1&1/2 to 2 hour session.

- Each grading is £25, and these are conducted in my region (North of England) by Master Kenny Walton who travels up and down the north of England conducting the gradings.

- On the other hand, your 1st Dan grading costs £150; which is ridiculous! :mad: I don't know how much it is after your 1st Dan grading but i would imagine it's not as much.

- The grading fee is the organisational charge, and i think a part of that goes towards opening the Dojang for the day, paying for food for spectators etc.

- The dan gradings are an organisational fee and it's a bit expensive IMO - we have to travel to Bristol which is about 230 miles away; people in Scotland are having to drive nearly 500 miles in some cases, which to me seems unreasonable considering the fuel costs.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought since we have members from all over the world, that it would be interesting to see the range of fees that were/are charged (if any), and where.

On your list's order:

1.-U$D 41.00
2.-For kup test: U$D41.00.
3.- for dan test about U$D458.00.
4.-the same as number 3.
5.-I really don't know.

Manny

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score

• $138 a month for 2 students from the same family for 2 classes a week. $35 a month for Black Belt Club for 2 students, which adds 2 special classes a month, and a third class a week
  • $50 a test for colored belt tests
  • $350 a test for 1st Dan
  • $400 for 2nd, $450 for 3rd, etc.
  • It's an independent school
This is in an upper-middle class part of Houston, TX USA.

Rick

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Before I state what our tuition rates are etc (which I have done here before) I am curious if anyone is aware of schools in your area, or perhaps your school, that charge $125/month with a cap of 10 hours, presumably 10 X 1 hour classes, of training per month?

I don't know what the likes of Juan Moreno charge to train at Peak so perhaps someone like that might get away with it but I can't think of too many others that could pull off $125 for 10 hours of class per month.

The last time I paid tuition for my kid it was $150/month for roughly 30 hours of training per month. $5/hour I can accept that.

1st Poom testing for her was $650
All training for however long it took to reach 2nd poom, including testing was something like $2000 if I remember correctly. If you went from 1st to 2nd in 2 years then it averaged out to $83/month. If you spent 4 years doing it then it was 42/month. There were no limits on how many classes you attended and my kid took 4 years going from 1st to 2nd.
When she tested for 3rd Dan we had changed school. I think the new instructor charged us $220 for 3rd Dan.

All pooms and dans were Kukkiwon.

Color belt tests, as I recall ranged from $40-$60 when she was going through that process.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Currency conversion rates can be misleading due to the cost of living being different in different countries. From what I have seen if you do a straight 1:1 conversion of UK Pounds to Dollars you get a better measure of the true cost of things.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. $55 a month and you can train up to 4 classes a week.
2. $40 for gup tests which includes your new belt if you pass.
3. $100 for first dan.
4. $150 for 2nd dan $200 for 3rd $250 for 4th $300 for 5th etc.
5. School fees. We are an independent school, a very big one.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll answer this from two points of view - the club I train at (STC) and the club I'm starting in September (FT). I've also decided that although this is an international forum, I'm sure most members are from America so I've converted the fees to dollars using xe.com

What was/is the cost of monthly tuition (or how does it work in your school)?

STC - £30 ($49) per month for adults (1x1.5 hour, 1x2 hour sessions). Children pay £1.50 ($2.45) per session

FT - £2 ($3.27) per session

What did/does it cost for the various kup/gup belts tests?

STC - free - buy your own belt but get a BTCB certificate

FT - £7 ($11.44) - includes a belt and a dojang certificate

What did/does it cost for a first Dan?

STC - £120 ($196) including Kukkiwon certification

FT - I haven't thought this through that far yet - I guess £100 ($163) including Kukkiwon certification and an embroidered belt.

What was/are the costs of gradings beyond the first Dan?

2nd Dan - £140 ($228)
3rd Dan - £160 ($261)
4th Dan - £220 ($360)
5th Dan - £320 ($523)
6th Dan - £420 ($686)
7th Dan - £520 ($850)

Are these school or organizational fees?

STC - Organizational (BTCB) - http://www.britishtaekwondo.org.uk/...s/Grading/90th grading details April 2011.doc

FT - School (but as I said, for dan/poom grades Kukkiwon certification is included)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currency conversion rates can be misleading due to the cost of living being different in different countries. From what I have seen if you do a straight 1:1 conversion of UK Pounds to Dollars you get a better measure of the true cost of things.

That's actually very true. When I last went to the states I was commenting to my brother that everything was so much cheaper over there and he replied that they earn pretty much 1:1 pounds to dollars though so to them everything seems about the same price.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an additional question (as we're all posting this). Do you have a contract or even a leaving notice period at your school?

STC - no

FT - no

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my school regular tuition is $95.00 per month and with that you have six days a week and a total of 25 classes you can attend. We also have a cardio machine room with frre wieghts that is included in that price. We also have two personal trainers that you can pay and help with that aspect.
We charge $50.00 for beginners, $75.00 for mid belt and $100.00 for the advance belts. This has recently changed because I have a G.M. that charges me a % because he nows comes to every single test. This has been recieved great by everyone at the school because he is a very nice guy.
Well if you want a A.A.U. one it isaround $100.00 and so on. If you want a KKW it starts at $350.00 if the G.M. does it or $150.00 if I do it. Some like for the G.M. to conduct the test, other do not care.
It would be safe to say about $100.00 per stripe.
Some are school while some are the orgs. We have a choice on which one to do and it has worked for us so far.

The only thing I would add is my competition team fee is $75.00 per month and with that come all the extra training and having a personal trainer and nuititionist come in once a month to help with diet and exorcises. Plus it helps pay for some seminars with top teer athletes and coaches thoughout the year.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our school charges $100 per month for an individual membership and $200 per month for a family membership (unlimited number of students in family).

Colored belt testing fees are $60 each for the first two members, $15 each for third and subsequent.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My classes are at Park districts so class days / times are limited to the time we have the space.

Kids - two one hour classes a week- $40.00 a month
Adults - 3 one and one half hour classes a week $50.00 a month

No contracts

Gup tests start at $15.00 for 9th gup and go up $5.00 per gup to First Gup which is $55.00

Dan fees cover national Org. costs as well.

I - $225.00
II - $275.00
III - $325.00
IV - $425.00
V- $525.00

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently paying $150.00 per month tuition for black belt club, which entitles me to 4 classes per week. Testing fee are broken down depending on what belt you're testing for: Orange thru Green is $60, Purple through Red is $90, 1st Dan is $150, 2nd Dan is $200, I'm not sure what the cost is from there. The fees we pay are organizational fees.

Latest Discussions