Contracts in the DOJO

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no problem signing a contract if sufficient classes are offered for me to get my money out of the contract.

My complaint comes when only 1-2 classes are offered per week. In my job, I have to miss classes occassionally and it is beyond my control. Therefore, I have gone weeks without being able to attend classes because of work conflicts and because of the contract, no credit could be offered and no sympathy for my situation. So I paid for a lot of classes that I couldn't go to.

And that was another school that lost a student....and my money.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Contracts are only a win for the school. They rarely guarantee any sort of satisfaction, only that you have to pay whether you plan to attend or not. I have never seen a good school use one. Stay away from those that do unless it is really loose and easy to break out of.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of a contract. the school im at does block payments of about 8 weeks at a time. no tie in but they have a certain amount of security.

sholo86

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didn't have any problems with the contract I signed when I first started training. There were no third parties involved with the contract. It was just between me and the school (instructor) and because of this, the instructor had all the flexibility to adjust my payment when I had some financial problems. He never pulled the contract once in my face during those times, which deepened my respects for him.

Contracts are there to protect the school and the students. So, if you do have to sign one, read and have the instructor explain the areas you do not understand.

Latest Discussions