Hey, everyone else was using them!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, KT!!!
:partyon: :asian: :partyon:
:partyon: :cheers: :partyon:​

Big Tiger Hugs to you, my friend. *walks over & hugs KT* I know the past few weeks have been tough, but you made it. WOOHOO!!

Get some rest, & give us the details if/when you want to do so.

Oss (Salute),
Gin-Gin :asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations, KT!!!!

Now for those of us who are not too far off from getting our black belt (give or take a couple of years or so for me), perhaps you could share with us, either in this thread or create a new thread, how your Black Belt exam went?

*eager look*

- Ceicei

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I want to take a moment to tell you what a fantastic :jedi1: job Kenpo Tiger did on her Black belt test! It was a long and grueling day for her yesterday. Tons of calisthenics, numerous forms and sets, a personal form (which she built around her love for kicking:btg: ), 20 minutes fighting off a bunch of mostly black belts in sparring, choreographed techniques, "no mind" attacks and a wonderful thesis on team work and Kenpo! She never lost her spirit and made us all very proud of her! Wooo HOOO for a job well done! KT you look awesome in black! :ultracool

Congratulations

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations...now you're finally ready to start learning ;)

Cthulhu

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent!!!
nature-smiley-015.gif
Good Job!!!
action-smiley-033.gif
sport-smiley-001.gif

Celebrate!!!
party-smiley-020.gif

Robyn :asian: :asian: :asian:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Congratulations, KT!!!!

Now for those of us who are not too far off from getting our black belt (give or take a couple of years or so for me), perhaps you could share with us, either in this thread or create a new thread, how your Black Belt exam went?

*eager look*

- Ceicei
Hi Ceicei.

A few thoughts, because each test is different.

Ours varies between 3 and 4 hours long, depending upon how the candidate structures it. We have to do about 45 minutes of exercises/drills to show physical ability, then all 170 techniques in our particular system (through Green belt we do Tracy techniques, then from Brown III onward, we are EPAK.) After that come Forms and Sets, in any order you choose. I tried grouping like forms and sets together because that's how my mind works easiest. Next is personal form, which you have to explain and then perform. Sparring - 20 minutes non-stop, with a new partner every five minutes usually. I chose to have five people involved (why, I still have no idea. Must've been a weak moment or temporary insanity), and all but one are experienced black belts. Three men, two women. My instructor decided he wanted to see a bit more, so he didn't stop the final round at four minutes; I was in the ring with a man the size of a building for six minutes. I could barely keep my hands up. Following sparring is choreographed attacks, which was fun, and then 'no-mind' attacks for five minutes. Finally, presentation of my thesis and then the belt ceremony.

I added something after the belt ceremony. As most of you know, I teach some of the children's classes at my school. One of my Little Dragons, a five year-old boy, was particularly interested in the process of preparing for a black belt, and came to watch me practice as well as ask me bazillion questions -- which he does anyway:). I invited him to watch me test, and asked his parents to bring him in his uniform. After receiving my belt, he was called back out on the mat (I had him in my lap during the thesis presentation) to hold a hand pad for me to take my first punches as a black belt. I told him to make sure I did them correctly!

What did I take away from my test, besides the obvious?

I had fun. Not that I wasn't excited or nervous about taking the test, but I enjoyed the experience. I worked too hard and too long to reach this goal, and I wasn't NOT going to remember it. We sometimes get too wrapped up in minutiae and miss what's important.

Everyone who was there, either participating or watching, meant a lot to me, and I was honored they chose to share the day with me.

I also discovered something about myself. There were two or three times during the course of the test where I felt that I wouldn't be able to continue, and I was able to find something inside of me to keep me going. My very first instructor (not in kenpo) is actually the one who provided the mindset for this: pretend you are hanging onto a branch over the edge of a cliff and you don't know when or if help will come. Do you let go of the branch, or is your mind strong enough to make your body obey?

Now the real challenge begins.

Pete pointed out to me that some people refer to their martial arts career as a journey, and that a journey can take many forms. You choose what form your particular journey will take.:asian:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Everything begins with the first steps...........looking back at the begining and looking to where you are now.........the hard work and dedication to keep going, can only result in your SUCESS!!!!! We are proud of you.....and your new life begins again.........Aloha

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Hi Ceicei.

A few thoughts, because each test is different.

Ours varies between 3 and 4 hours long, depending upon how the candidate structures it. We have to do about 45 minutes of exercises/drills to show physical ability, then all 170 techniques in our particular system (through Green belt we do Tracy techniques, then from Brown III onward, we are EPAK.) After that come Forms and Sets, in any order you choose. I tried grouping like forms and sets together because that's how my mind works easiest. Next is personal form, which you have to explain and then perform. Sparring - 20 minutes non-stop, with a new partner every five minutes usually. I chose to have five people involved (why, I still have no idea. Must've been a weak moment or temporary insanity), and all but one are experienced black belts. Three men, two women. My instructor decided he wanted to see a bit more, so he didn't stop the final round at four minutes; I was in the ring with a man the size of a building for six minutes. I could barely keep my hands up. Following sparring is choreographed attacks, which was fun, and then 'no-mind' attacks for five minutes. Finally, presentation of my thesis and then the belt ceremony.

I added something after the belt ceremony. As most of you know, I teach some of the children's classes at my school. One of my Little Dragons, a five year-old boy, was particularly interested in the process of preparing for a black belt, and came to watch me practice as well as ask me bazillion questions -- which he does anyway:). I invited him to watch me test, and asked his parents to bring him in his uniform. After receiving my belt, he was called back out on the mat (I had him in my lap during the thesis presentation) to hold a hand pad for me to take my first punches as a black belt. I told him to make sure I did them correctly!

What did I take away from my test, besides the obvious?

I had fun. Not that I wasn't excited or nervous about taking the test, but I enjoyed the experience. I worked too hard and too long to reach this goal, and I wasn't NOT going to remember it. We sometimes get too wrapped up in minutiae and miss what's important.

Everyone who was there, either participating or watching, meant a lot to me, and I was honored they chose to share the day with me.

I also discovered something about myself. There were two or three times during the course of the test where I felt that I wouldn't be able to continue, and I was able to find something inside of me to keep me going. My very first instructor (not in kenpo) is actually the one who provided the mindset for this: pretend you are hanging onto a branch over the edge of a cliff and you don't know when or if help will come. Do you let go of the branch, or is your mind strong enough to make your body obey?

Now the real challenge begins.

Pete pointed out to me that some people refer to their martial arts career as a journey, and that a journey can take many forms. You choose what form your particular journey will take.:asian:
Very well put kenpo Tiger my hat goes to some one as humble as you are. The part about your student to hold the punch bag for you was great.
:asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian::asian:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats, kt. :D

I wish we could have been there. Maybe for the next time around...!

(((((hugs)))))