Conditioning

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMHO a good instructor will explain what he wants and the reason for it.

When I am teaching something to a student, I welcome questions, but I try to give enough information that their questions never have to be formed. I don't teach MA, but the premise is the same.

When one of our BB's teaches me something I do it whether or not they give reasons. However, those who give an explanation, their info sticks with me better.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
\

Why do Americans find it necessary to explain everything to a T. My Instructor tells me something and I do it. He hardly ever explain why and i know he is telling me to do it for a reason and it will benefit me. now sooner or later I usually find out through a story why or gets on to someone in class to make a point but not always. Its just something that baffles me about the American teacing techniques I have seen.

Could have something to do with being a nation that has never, ever been under the rule of an absolute monarch who told us to do things "just because."

It's why our ancestors came here.

Why do Europeans have such a hard time grasping individualism and liberty? ;)

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Could have something to do with being a nation that has never, ever been under the rule of an absolute monarch who told us to do things "just because."

Ah yes, those absolute monarchs and feudal lords who we Europeans still give half of our crop to in tithes ... ;)

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score

In korea you hardly ever see someone who is over-weight. We even incorporate fitness and martial arts into our schools. Sometimes too much individualism lacks motivation. Taking ones elder's word, especially if they are rich in the martial arts, will do you good. We learn by example no by a verbal history lesson.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
With a view to getting back on to the conditioning topic …

We must be wary of the idea that being lean and being fit have much to do with each other. I know people who are somewhat overweight but are quite fit. I also know very lean people who are totally out of shape. That reminds me of an aunt of mine who couldn’t understand why I trained, saying, “But you’re not fat!”.

Indeed, you rarely see overweight people in Korea, or at least I never do when I go to Busan. However, I suggest that this is perhaps partially genetic and in a very large measure due to the Korean diet.

I agree that listening to one’s elders with due respect is important, but it is also important to know when to question what they teach. This can be done directly, by asking, or indirectly, by research. I remember many conditioning exercises which high ranking masters of mine (some of them Korean) swore by, but which were either ineffective or dangerous. An example of ineffective would be hundreds of sit-ups done with the feet hooked under a wall bar. A example of dangerous would be heavy ballistic and static stretching during the warm-up.

A general question:

Most TKD schools do a certain amount of conditioning of the abs, but what kind of exercises do you use to condition the muscles of the back (I mean for core stability, not for receiving blows)?

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I personally believe conditioning is crucial to MA training. I am ashamed to admit to being one of those who find it very difficult to train and condition outside of my classes so I feel my development would really suffer if it were removed from my class structure. My instructors both in Jujutsu and Boxing both include a lot of conditioning in their class and I really benefit from this. I feel it is very important to practice fighting and executing technique when tired as in reality with the fear and adrenaline flowing I can imagine there is a good chance that fighting for real will be tiring!

My Jujutsu instructor is a real fitness fanatic so here are a couple of articles that reflect his views and fitness techniques. He even runs a gladiator workout separate to the MA classes that I am ashamed to admit I haven't quite worked up the courage to attend.......

http://www.kevinohagan.com/Webpages/Pages/Articles_Fitness_components.htm

http://www.kevinohagan.com/Webpages/Pages/Articles_Jujutsu_Impact.htm

http://www.kevinohagan.com/Webpages/Pages/Systems_gladiator.htm

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel it is very important to practice fighting and executing technique when tired as in reality with the fear and adrenaline flowing I can imagine there is a good chance that fighting for real will be tiring!

Aha, now there's a thought ...

So, you train with Kevin O'Hagan. I've heard good things about him. Isn't he based in Bristol?

I can feel some interesting conversations coming on ...

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
My teacher always did some conditioning before he started teaching. I hated it because it took away from actual learning time. I think a 5 to 10 minute warm up should be done and conditioning be left to be done at home or on the students own time. I do think however that on advanced level testing that conditioning should be included to a certain degree. What good is having the martial art knowledge if you can't even fight someone for more than one minute of non stop fighting/action. When I say conditioning I am referring to endurance level and mental conditioning. A martial artist should be able to perform a descent/average amount of push ups, sit ups, jogging, etc... There is nothing worse than to see a fat out of shape martial artist trying to teach. It brings tears to my eyes.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
SJON asked:
Most TKD schools do a certain amount of conditioning of the abs, but what kind of exercises do you use to condition the muscles of the back (I mean for core stability, not for receiving blows)?

This may not seem a likely answer, but the key to a strong lower back is hydration and strong abdominal muscles. You can also add in strengthening with back extensions and deadlifts (both straight leg and bent leg).

The upper back is a different animal altogether. I like to do rowing type exercises such as lat pulldown, upright rows, pull-ups...etc....

Swimming is also really good for the entire back, upper and lower, as well as the abs.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it varies from a good chunk of class being conditioning, to just the usual warm ups- sit ups, jumping jacks, push ups, and 3 laps. I'd definitely keep the conditioning in the class, even if you vary the regimine some.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aha, now there's a thought ...

So, you train with Kevin O'Hagan. I've heard good things about him. Isn't he based in Bristol?

I can feel some interesting conversations coming on ...

Yeah he is extremely good and fortunately for me based in Bristol. Though, to be fair and honest he is primarily concentrating on his MMA classes at the moment so the combat jujutsu classes that I attend are being managed by his senior black belts and I'm not having much contact with him personally beside the odd seminar. I'm not complaining though as his black belts, his syllabus, his seminars and his system just work for me so well. I have really found my martial art! It really compliments my boxing as well.

And for the purposes of this thread a big part of its appeal is the conditioning and fitness included in the classes. Its about being fit to fight!

Latest Discussions