Instructor Problems

G

Gumdomaster

Does anyone else feel as though there school is just around for the soul purpose to make money? I cannot tell if my school is one of these schools. My instructor makes me pay an exorbitant amount of money for supplies, which we never use, for tests, which everyone passes, etc. There are only a few exceptional students at my school that were exceptional before coming to the school. How can I truly tell if this is just a money making mcdojo?
For those who do know, is there a check off list that could be used.

Gumdomaster

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A commercial school is still a business, and it still has a lot of overhead that it needs to pay, plus salaries. So making money HAS to be a part of its operation or it will be forced to close very quickly. So expect them to charge as much as the market will allow them too, they have to to stay in business.

Whether it is worth it or not is something different.

Is the quality of instruction you are recieving worth the price you are paying? If not, shop around.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's really all about your opinion. If you feel that you are paying too much, you are. If you think the quality of the martial artists that the school produces is low, it is. In the end you have to be satisfied that you aren't being ripped off, by paying too much or not getting the skills you want.
My intitial thought would be that since asked you might not be at the right school. As for McDojos, look for long term contracts instead of monthly or weekly payments, frequent tests with high fees, everyone is always on the tests and no one ever fails. Things like that. Yeah, it's a business, but if the main focus is on the contract and the money and the art is secondary, run to the nearest exit.
Best of luck.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Worth is in the eye of the beholder, there are people that take up martial arts as a 'hobby' and are just interested in reaching black belt. There are others that are far more serious students. It really comes down to you, if you dont like what is going on, then its never a bad idea to shop around.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gumdomaster said:
... My instructor makes me pay an exorbitant amount of money for supplies, which we never use, for tests, which everyone passes, etc. ...Gumdomaster
This would be my flag.....

If no one fails, is that because the instructor is wonderful???

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Promotions are often too add value to the rank/program, nothing else.

People that fail tend to get discouraged and quit... not good for business if a good portion of your students are quitting cause they failed a test.

Think of it like grade school in those cases. Some kids are smart, some are not. Some work hard, some do not. They all get advanced at the same pace though. It is also still considered an acomplishment every time the pass a grade.

OP
C

Crom

Are there any other schools in your area? If so ask if you can sit in on a lesson or two so that you have something to compare your training to, the worst they can say is no and if its run by decent people they should be cool with it.

If you do get to there are usually people hanging around at the end of a class so you could subtley enquire about prices, gradings etc.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Promotions are often too add value to the rank/program, nothing else.

People that fail tend to get discouraged and quit... not good for business if a good portion of your students are quitting cause they failed a test.

Think of it like grade school in those cases. Some kids are smart, some are not. Some work hard, some do not. They all get advanced at the same pace though. It is also still considered an acomplishment every time the pass a grade.
True.

And hopefully at some point, some of those students become serious with their training. I'm guessing that the drop out rate (per level) from that school is pretty much similar to those from other schools.

Smaller schools do tend to retain students for a longer time better, IMHO, but it is harder to compete against the bigger schools.

- Ceicei

OP
G

Gumdomaster

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I believe I do belong to a mcdojo. I really like my instructor as a person, but I dont think I do as a teacher. Anyway, thanks again.
Gumdomaster

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People have to earn a living, and ensure the continuation of the school. But...if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, and you may wish to keep looking. Most people switch styles early on, I think!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gumdomaster said:
Does anyone else feel as though there school is just around for the soul purpose to make money? I cannot tell if my school is one of these schools. My instructor makes me pay an exorbitant amount of money for supplies, which we never use, for tests, which everyone passes, etc. There are only a few exceptional students at my school that were exceptional before coming to the school. How can I truly tell if this is just a money making mcdojo?
For those who do know, is there a check off list that could be used.

Gumdomaster

If the instructor is caring more about how much $$ he is bringing in, over the development of the students, is not too concerned with how well students can do the material, etc., then IMO, yes, its a Mcdojo. Do you feel as if you're getting anything from the school?? If not, then it would be wise to find another place to train.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
If the instructor is caring more about how much $$ he is bringing in, over the development of the students,
Well, if he doesn't bring in enough there won't be any students to care about...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well, if he doesn't bring in enough there won't be any students to care about...

True. And I agree with you when you said that he still needs to bring in money to pay bills, etc., but if hes just giving out ranks, isn't concerned with how well students do/know the material, etc.....well, thats where the red flag is raised.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are happy and who cares weather he makes a couple of buck off of you, your training is what matters and how much trainig you get out of it. Mc Dojo or not your choice.

Latest Discussions