Competition Teams for schools

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have what we call our competition team we hold tryouts every year for those wishing to go to the more elite type of fighting. First off everybody is encourage to do tournaments but we do about five tournaments a year just for our elite type of fighters, so anyway one mom was so upset that he son did not nake it she quit and now she is going around and telling everybody how mean I'am and that I do not like new people on my team. Well the story is he son cannot take a kick to the head without walking out of the ring or cryingin the ring, now for a regular tournament with only allows soft control hits this is fine but for our competition team we do alot of opens with full contact so he is not ready for next year maybe in a year or two and all I was doing was looking out for the athlete.

So many parents want the child to be more than they are and just cannot find the time to understand each and every person needs to be judge on there own merit and not everybody elses. Sorry she just upset me with her crap that is all.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The dojo my daughters attend has 2 of these competition teams.... people can try out for them, but it isn't required.

I wasn't keen on the idea, originally, but I've warmed to them.

It does give the young advanced students a goal to strive for, and it does enable them to perform in front of crowds.... not strictly martial arts, but how many adults to you know who cringe at public speaking or presentations? They also learn to function as a team and to practice very hard - again, useful skills later on.

As for my art... I can't even imagine what a competition Tai Chi team would look like.... and no comments here, or I will drive to Buffalo and wake everyone up at 6 on Saturday!!:boing2:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dojo my daughters attend has 2 of these competition teams.... people can try out for them, but it isn't required.

I wasn't keen on the idea, originally, but I've warmed to them.

It does give the young advanced students a goal to strive for, and it does enable them to perform in front of crowds.... not strictly martial arts, but how many adults to you know who cringe at public speaking or presentations? They also learn to function as a team and to practice very hard - again, useful skills later on.

As for my art... I can't even imagine what a competition Tai Chi team would look like.... and no comments here, or I will drive to Buffalo and wake everyone up at 6 on Saturday!!:boing2:

Since I wake up at 5 am it would not gother me so go ahead wake all the others up. I'm all for it.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an asisstant coach for our schools competition team....I hear what you're saying. We don't hold closed tryouts...but we do personal invites, though anyone is allowed to work with the team. Typically, those kids that don't have what it takes quit within a week or two.

As for not allowing a kid on the team who isn't at that level. What you are doing is for the best. Hell, you;re protecting that kid. If he can't hang with the top level competitiors, if he is shaken by taking a shot...then what Mom wants is unrealistic and could pyut her child at risk for harm.

I remember agonizing over wether o rnot to let my son compete at nationals in the full contact division. I eventually had to tell him I wasn;t going to let him fight because he wasn't ready. Maybe in a year or two...taht was my job as a coach and as a parent. It was hard, but for the best.

Don't sweat this mom...it isn't worth it.

Peace,
Erik

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The "soccer-mom" syndrome occurs all over. It's sour grapes on her part; it's just too bad it has to rebound through her son.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, I agree with you on the competition team. If a player isn't ready, then you are failing as an instructor to let them join the team with a chance of getting hurt. You are the instructor/coach, it's your call.

So Terry, how did your team do in San Jose?

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats part of being a coach, having to make tough decisions that are best for everyone involved, no matter how anyone else feels about them, and standing by your decisions.

I feel what you did was right, if someone is not ready, it is always best to keep them back, and let them try again at a later point.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, I agree with you on the competition team. If a player isn't ready, then you are failing as an instructor to let them join the team with a chance of getting hurt. You are the instructor/coach, it's your call.

So Terry, how did your team do in San Jose?

Wade did you meet MR Aguon TXBB on here? We actually had ne one compete this year his sons where going to compete but he forgot to send in the application on time. I heard from everybody that it was some pretty good fights in the 18-34 BB. Maybe next year we can get together at one of the events.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure on who I met but one gentle man did say I could talk to him on this site. I hate to say it but I was so scatter brained that I can not remember his name. Damn...................

Latest Discussions