Common expressions that are wrong....

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is an oft-used graphical representation of how learning/revision works for cognitive tasks. Itā€™s only an assumption itā€™s similar for motor tasks.
View attachment 29338
I think the distinction isn't about cognitive vs. motor tasks, it's about explicit vs. implicit memory. A fine, but important distinction.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to Long Beach Polytechnic High School. Graduated in 1989. We had metal detectors because so many firearms and weapons came in. Many students were gang members and people were regularly shot/stabbed/beaten in those days. I havent seen a movie that properly depicts my high school experience. My school wasnā€™t even the most dangerous in the area. Anyone here grow up in L.A. in the 80s? I lived in the Rolling 20s Crip/ICG neighborhood. Less than 3 years after graduation, I lived through the 1992 LA riots. We traded our guitars for shotguns at the pawn shop during it. Ah good timesā€¦
In my 80s school, a pupil once kicked the thoroughly nice music teacher, Mr Archer, on the ankle. It was scandalous and the miscreant was suspended. It was a nice comprehensive school in a leafy suburb of Manchester.

Now in my friendā€™s school (Central High School) was really rough and the music teacher was stabbed several times and stuffed in a cupboard. They only discovered her when blood was found seeping from under the door. That made the evening news. She made a full recovery and continued working in the school!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to Long Beach Polytechnic High School. Graduated in 1989. We had metal detectors because so many firearms and weapons came in. Many students were gang members and people were regularly shot/stabbed/beaten in those days. I havent seen a movie that properly depicts my high school experience. My school wasnā€™t even the most dangerous in the area. Anyone here grow up in L.A. in the 80s? I lived in the Rolling 20s Crip/ICG neighborhood. Less than 3 years after graduation, I lived through the 1992 LA riots. We traded our guitars for shotguns at the pawn shop during it. Ah good timesā€¦
Just for contrast... there were rifles in peoples vehicles all the time, because hunting after school. And pretty much everybody carried a pocket knife. Because useful tool. We also had a school-sponsored competitive shooting team. The shooting range was at the Middle School. So we regularly took firearms there.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
ā€œWell my style only needs to work on untrained peopleā€ and any variation of that.

Speaking from the American perspective here.
Traditionally the school bullies for boys are the ā€˜jocksā€™ so if youā€™re going to protect yourself from a wrestler, your style better work on trained opponents. Football isnā€™t a martial art, but all players even on offense practice tackling, your style better have some level of take down defense if you want to have a hope in hell of avoiding a tackle from a football player. Some schools still have boxing teams

Thatā€™s just speaking from the public school system perspective. From a more general perspective martial arts is constantly growing and the idea that criminals who think theyā€™re tough arenā€™t training to prove how tough they are, or to make themselves tougher is hilarious.
For women domestic violence is a bigger issue than for men, but we fairly often hear about fighters who beat their wives.

It would be interesting if a jail or a prison allowed a study to be done particularly upon intake of new prisoners with a questionnaire with one or more questions asking if they have train in martial arts or combat sports at all.
Just for contrast... there were rifles in peoples vehicles all the time, because hunting after school. And pretty much everybody carried a pocket knife. Because useful tool. We also had a school-sponsored competitive shooting team. The shooting range was at the Middle School. So we regularly took firearms there.
Sorry double quote accident

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lots of people had rifles and pistols and SMG in their car, because hunting/ being hunted by other gangs. Pretty much everybody carried knives, screwdrivers, chisels etc because useful tool for stabbing. We had several extremely competitive school shooting teams; Rollin 20s crips, West side Longoes, Barrio Pobre, Sons of Samoa, Viet Ching, MS13, ICG(insane crip gang) and others. The shooting range was the neighborhood, they regularly took firearms there. Contrast sure, quite a few parallels though.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The world often looks at how US High Schools are depicted in films and TV and we laugh and think theyā€˜re exaggerated-for-dramatic effect rendering of the schools. Now Iā€™m wondering if thatā€™s the caseā€¦šŸ˜³
Funny thing was we were in less than mildly racist area for the time. It was set off by two people (a black and a white) over a girl and it escalated until even some parents even got involved. Made the local news and everything. It was a big deal in our little town.
About a week later it meant absolutely nothing, and life went back to usual.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my 80s school, a pupil once kicked the thoroughly nice music teacher, Mr Archer, on the ankle. It was scandalous and the miscreant was suspended. It was a nice comprehensive school in a leafy suburb of Manchester.

Now in my friendā€™s school (Central High School) was really rough and the music teacher was stabbed several times and stuffed in a cupboard. They only discovered her when blood was found seeping from under the door. That made the evening news. She made a full recovery and continued working in the school!
Stabbed and stuffed in a closet sounds more scary than anything at my school except maybe the US History teacher who was beaten with a wrench by a student because of a careless comment regarding ā€œyou peopleā€.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Every example you posted was a private school ... either secular or religious, as in the case of the first one which is Catholic. And I think it does matter. I attended private schools myself and they offered all manner of programs and extra curricular-activities that most public schools can't. Martial arts and boxing, for example. :)
And bullies exist in both private and public schools.
My point still stands. Thereā€™s a good chance if theyā€™re not training in school that theyā€™re training outside of school.

This is a really minor point to be picking at though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of people had rifles and pistols and SMG in their car, because hunting/ being hunted by other gangs. Pretty much everybody carried knives, screwdrivers, chisels etc because useful tool for stabbing. We had several extremely competitive school shooting teams; Rollin 20s crips, West side Longoes, Barrio Pobre, Sons of Samoa, Viet Ching, MS13, ICG(insane crip gang) and others. The shooting range was the neighborhood, they regularly took firearms there. Contrast sure, quite a few parallels though.

SMG? Is that the same as here..... a 'submagazine gun'? If it is, why would civilians have them?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SMG? Is that the same as here..... a 'submagazine gun'? If it is, why would civilians have them?
I believe the second amendment means US citizens can have any type of gun they like? Itā€™s their constitutional right.

Second Amendment​

Second Amendment Explained
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the second amendment means US citizens can have any type of gun they like? Itā€™s their constitutional right.

Second Amendment​

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
No despite common belief we cannot, at least not easily or commonly.

We can have long barrelled semi-auto versions of SMGs but few will have a true SMG, because of the national firearms act.

Also Iā€™m pretty sure the post he was referring to was about high schoolers, in which case only seniors could legally own a firearm of any type, and none of them were legally carrying most likely.(not familiar with any stateā€™s gun laws pre2010)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So has the second amendment been modified in some way? I thought US citizens could buy guns and ammo in Walmart?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Second Amendment​

No. Machine guns, or fully automatic weapons, are rather strictly regulated by federal laws dating back to 1934 which are enforced by the ATF. I don't pretend to know much about it, but if you care you can google it.

It's not surprising to me that certain weapons are restricted. I mean would you want your crazy neighbor to have a rocket launcher?

What strikes me as most inconsistent about weapons laws is how easily some very lethal modern weapons that didn't exist when the US Constitution was first adopted are protected, while weapons in universal use in those times like large knives and swords are often prohibited.

However I live in the "Wild West". Pretty much everything is legal here with no permit necessary: Rifles, handguns, swords, knives, batons ...even the that terrible weapon of mass-destruction, the nunchaku!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Second Amendment​

That depends on which state you live in. We also have a national firearms act which prohibits sale of newly manufactured full auto weapons. However, full auto weapons that were in existence at the time the NFA was enacted may still be transferred legally as long as a $200.00 tax stamp is purchased and said transfer is legal in that state.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No despite common belief we cannot, at least not easily or commonly.

We can have long barrelled semi-auto versions of SMGs but few will have a true SMG, because of the national firearms act.

Also Iā€™m pretty sure the post he was referring to was about high schoolers, in which case only seniors could legally own a firearm of any type, and none of them were legally carrying most likely.(not familiar with any stateā€™s gun laws pre2010)
Again, gangsters donā€™t obey laws. In 1980s guns could be legally sold without a dealer or a background check. In fact a Raven .25acp semi auto pistol could be bought from a catalog and mailed to your house for around $35.00 at that time. 3 for 100.00 if I remember the ad correctly. Small compact handguns were very popular as you could shoot someone you were standing next to from inside your pants or jacket pocket. In a crowd, say at the bus stop, no one could tell who fired the shot. It used to happen quite a lot. Iā€™ve actually been within those crowd shots several times when I was a kid.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
So has the second amendment been modified in some way? I thought US citizens could buy guns and ammo in Walmart?
You can buy them in wal mart. What you can buy, depends on state. Each state has widely differing laws regarding individual firearm features, magazine capacity, type of ammunition available, background checks, waiting periods, etc. Some states are wide open like Tennesse, Texas, Alaska. Some states are nearly draconian in comparison.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Machine guns, or fully automatic weapons, are rather strictly regulated by federal laws dating back to 1934 which are enforced by the ATF. I don't pretend to know much about it, but if you care you can google it.

It's not surprising to me that certain weapons are restricted. I mean would you want your crazy neighbor to have a rocket launcher?

What strikes me as most inconsistent about weapons laws is how easily some very lethal modern weapons that didn't exist when the US Constitution was first adopted are protected, while weapons in universal use in those times like large knives and swords are often prohibited.

However I live in the "Wild West". Pretty much everything is legal here with no permit necessary: Rifles, handguns, swords, knives, batons ...even the that terrible weapon of mass-destruction, the nunchaku!
This is true, I have a concealed weapon permit, I regularly carry a loaded handgun concealed on my person. I cannot even possess throwing stars without risking a felony. I may legally walk down the street with a sharpened sword, but simple possession of nunchaku is prohibited. I may legally carry a knife of any length so long as it isnā€™t concealed, but not if it is a switchblade or automatic knife unless the blade is less than 2 inches long, in which case itā€™s perfectly legal.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
We can buy guns and ammo in Walmart, but no part of the bill of rights is beyond limits.

Civilians generally cannot own artillery (sub)machine guns, any firearm intended to be fired with 2 hands with a barrel less than 16ā€ in length (the wording on all this can be very complicated legalese), suppressors, or explosives. Incendiaries are state by state.

To get any of those weapons you need a special tax stamp, and theyā€™re almost all extremely expensive generally. A legitimate machine gun or sub machine gun will cost about as much as a new car, or a even a small house.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's submachine gun, and he's not serious. Ownership is tightly regulated, and extremely expensive, for the collectible ones. Civilians own them because they're fun to shoot. Or because they're collectors. But outside of Hollywood, you're just not going to find them being used by criminals.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions