Commands in Korean?

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I didnt get the k-kenyay Lynne was referring to either... but then i recall that IS what we say in the beginning and end of classes when bowing to the senior leading the class....

Sa Bom Nim Kay Kyung Ryet- Bow to master instructor
Kyo Sa Nim Kay Kyung Ryet- Bow to assistant instructor
Jo Kyo Nim Kay Kyung Ryet- Bow to junior instructor
Sun Beh Nim Kay Kyung Ryet- Bow to Dan leading class (one who has no other certifications and is from Cho Dan to Sam Dan)

But when bowing to a partner that youre working with during class there is no 'Kay'
So it's Sang Ho Kanee Kyung Ryet

EDIT: I see from Craigs post that the Kae is replaced with E in the 'bow to partner' context.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi tko,

When instructors command us to bow, they say "kyung yet," but when the master enters the dojang, the highest level students say, "Yuk Dan (or Sa Dan as we have several of those who teach) kee kyung yet" and they do pronounce it as k-kenyay. My gup manual says, "sah bom nim kee kyung yet kyung yet." I've never heard anyone say kyung yet twice. It's supposed to translate to, "Bow to the instructor, bow."

Lynne,

Do you refer to your instructors by their rank or their title? I'm a bit surprised that you don't refer to them as Sabomnim or Kyosanim or even Sonsangnim. I've never heard their rank used like that.

I am sure that the gup manual is just a misprint, since even in Korean, "bow to the instructor, bow" isn't right! Unless it is meant to be like saying what you're going to do, then the command to do it.

Last edited:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since Hangul is a phonetic language, and many of the characters don't translate into english well, i.e. they have sounds that we don't have and we have sounds that they don't have, there are very often both spelling and mispronunciations when Americans use the words.

So unless you have a Korean instructor who enforces proper pronunciation, chances are that at least some of what you say in your Dojang isn't quite right. Not that that's a bad thing, it just isn't how a Korean would say it. And even if you did have a Korean instructor, there are vast differences between dialects of the language depending where your instructor is from. So a Korean from Seoul will pronounce things much differently from someone from Busan. It is the same as the difference between someone from Texas and New England here.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne,

Do you refer to your instructors by their rank or their title? I'm a bit surprised that you don't refer to them as Sabomnim or Kyosanim or even Sonsangnim. I've never heard their rank used like that.

I am sure that the gup manual is just a misprint, since even in Korean, "bow to the instructor, bow" isn't right! Unless it is meant to be like saying what you're going to do, then the command to do it.
We refer to the Masters as Master *insert surname.* We refer to anyone not a Master as Mr., Mrs., or Ms. *insert surname.*

Our closing is similar to Joel's but the senior student says, "Bow to the Yuk Dan, Yuk Dan Kee Kyung Yet." Our Yuk Dan is Master R, the owner of our academy. We all bow. Then, since we have 4th Dans (other Masters), the senior student (or Master) says, "Bow to the Sa Dans, Sa Dan Kee Kyung Yet," and on down through the Cho Dans. At Cho Dan, it is the highest ranking color belt student who is in attendance who give the command to bow.

I thought the manual might have a misprint but Kee Kyung Yet was also printed twice for bowing to the Grandmaster. Still could be a misprint. There are some here and there in my manual.

Last edited:

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since Hangul is a phonetic language, and many of the characters don't translate into english well, i.e. they have sounds that we don't have and we have sounds that they don't have, there are very often both spelling and mispronunciations when Americans use the words.

So unless you have a Korean instructor who enforces proper pronunciation, chances are that at least some of what you say in your Dojang isn't quite right. Not that that's a bad thing, it just isn't how a Korean would say it. And even if you did have a Korean instructor, there are vast differences between dialects of the language depending where your instructor is from. So a Korean from Seoul will pronounce things much differently from someone from Busan. It is the same as the difference between someone from Texas and New England here.
I grew up in the South and also lived in Texas for 10 years. I am sure we could turn Cho into a 4-syllable word :D :D :D

Latest Discussions