Combative Taekwondo

S

Shadowdean

I've been in TKD for some time now (over 10 years wtf) But after it got accepted in the Olympics as an official sport, I really feel that its degenerated completely into a fighting sport. Does anybody train in more combative TKD? If so, do you spar in a more combative mannor (punching, throws..etc?)

OP
D

Danny

No, most WTF is a sport. ITF certainly isn't.

OP
B

bscastro

I think many martial arts can be trained "more effectively." For example, I am currently training mainly in Jeet Kune Do. However, I used to be an assistant instructor in my Tae Kwon Do class at the University of Rochester. My instructor mainly concentrated on the traditional stuff such as forms, basics, three-step sparring drills, and freesparring drills. From my background in FMA and training with others, I included the "attitude"--not just drills, I developed into my classes.

For example, I had them include more movement in their pad work (and also increased the amount of padwork they did). Also, I noticed many students did not punch with "intent" for their opponent's to defend--not on target, lazy, or "too" slow. I tried to help them develop habits for their training within the system as well as giving them some supplementary training--for example, with some boxing drills and combinations and techniques.

However, I think after a certain level in TKD (from my own experience) I needed to look elsewhere. I felt my TKD school concentrated too much on traditional forms without application and I found my interests were too different than I wanted or perhaps needed. I had trained in FMA and rekindled some of my old instructor-student relationships as well as finding my current instructor in JKD.

I think one needs to look at what they want out of their martial arts. If they want more combative training, they must seek the instructors or classes that provide it. If they want sport, then they should find the schools that concentrate in that.

I am still good friends with many of my TKD friends and sometimes go an instruct for fun and to give them a different flavor, but my training has changed alot for the better (for me).

NB I'm not trying to bust on TKD or any other art, but I think one needs to see whether their school satisfies their needs. I don't think it's a matter of ITF or WTF even but a lot must look at their own school individually.

Cheers,
Bryan

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
NB I'm not trying to bust on TKD or any other art, but I think one needs to see whether their school satisfies their needs. I don't think it's a matter of ITF or WTF even but a lot must look at their own school individually.

I have to agree here. In my area, it's completely reversed, the ITF schools emphasize sport, and my school (WTF) emphasizes combat. You gotta look at things on a case-by-case basis. I'll bet there are alot of WTF schools that have people sparring with their hands down, but I've also seen alot of that from ITF.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes that's true deadhand... I think on the average though, considering it's in your rules to spar with no punches to the face, that more WTF practitioners will spar with hands down. Like you said though, it doesnt mean ALL WTF will spar that way and ALL ITF will keep their hands up. I love going to an ITF tournament and seeing my opponent bounce around with his hands down. It makes me feel all giddy inside like he just handed me the gold medal!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD