College student kills home-invader

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good job by this dude...

A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they’re thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment.

“They just came in and separated the men from the women and said, ‘Give me your wallets and cell phones,’” said George Williams of the College Park Police Department.Bailey said the gunmen started counting bullets. “The other guy asked how many (bullets) he had. He said he had enough,” said Bailey.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19365762/detail.html

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chilling, chilling stuff. I can't help but wonder about the ways that might have gone wrong - they could have seen him reach for his bag, etc. Granted, I don't think things could have been much worse as things stood. I'm glad it turned out well. Best wishes for the student who was shot.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chilling, chilling stuff. I can't help but wonder about the ways that might have gone wrong - they could have seen him reach for his bag, etc. Granted, I don't think things could have been much worse as things stood. I'm glad it turned out well. Best wishes for the student who was shot.

If it had not been for his actions, the headline probably would have read "11 college students murdered."

This is a perfect example of a situation where the risk of what may happen if you fight back is outweighed by the near certainty of what will happen if you don't.

It's just too bad he didn't bag them both...

On a side note, this is a great illustration of why college students should be allowed to CCW if they choose.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's Georgia's laws on this? I believe in Texas it's justifiable, and in NY the college kids would most likely be cited for failure to fluff the robbers pillows.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's just too bad he didn't bag them both...

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree here. Overall I tend to err on the anti-gun side (I'm not shaking my finger here, so don't flame me!) But this is as clear-cut as it gets.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder how many 'anti-gun' college students and their parents will be rethinking their decisions based on this issue. It certainly sounds like the armed student made a well-reasoned and intelligent decision.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good for the student, the home invader got what he deserved. As for the woman shot in the crossfire (which the anti-gun crowd could, and probably will, use for fodder) best wishes for her recovery

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's Georgia's laws on this? I believe in Texas it's justifiable, and in NY the college kids would most likely be cited for failure to fluff the robbers pillows.

As I've posted before, in GA you are within your right to use force, even deadly force, if it is percieved as being used against you or a loved one, when in a place you have a right to be. That means in your home, or even in a public place; you have no "duty to flee."

This guy has nothing to worry about from the state; however, civil law is a bit different.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As I've posted before, in GA you are within your right to use force, even deadly force, if it is percieved as being used against you or a loved one, when in a place you have a right to be. That means in your home, or even in a public place; you have no "duty to flee."

This guy has nothing to worry about from the state; however, civil law is a bit different.
That's one thing I can't fathom about the US' judicial system. How in the name of hell can the shooter, who would have been a victim, be charged -- or sued, whatever -- with/for doing something wrong when, if he didn't act, it could have cost him his life and the lives of several others?

Under what line of reasoning does that work?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's one thing I can't fathom about the US' judicial system. How in the name of hell can the shooter, who would have been a victim, be charged -- or sued, whatever -- with/for doing something wrong when, if he didn't act, it could have cost him his life and the lives of several others?

Under what line of reasoning does that work?

You got me...but it's not considered double jeopardy.

I doubt he would lose a wrongful death suit in this case, but can you imagine the headache it would cause?

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You got me...but it's not considered double jeopardy.

I doubt he would lose a wrongful death suit in this case, but can you imagine the headache it would cause?
Hell, if he gets sued for this, all someone would have to do is set up a website asking for funds to cover legal costs. Considering the stupidity behind such a (hypothetical) civil suit, I don't think it would be a financial burden for him.

The NRA would probably be a major supporter...

Other headaches on the other hand...

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chalk on up for the good guys.

Glad this turned out well. Just think how many more students wouldn't have died on colleges in the last few years if more students had the means to protect themselves in like manner.

Mark

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chalk on up for the good guys.

Glad this turned out well. Just think how many more students wouldn't have died on colleges in the last few years if more students had the means to protect themselves in like manner.

Mark
Provided they're trained, I agree. If you're talking about those who buy guns because they're cool, not so much.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rape, or murder is something that should never be tolerated by anybody, pacifist or other wise. It seems all we hear about in the news, is the aftermath of crazies gone wild. I don't condone violence, but self defense, when justifide, in my book, is music to my ears.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the video clip on the web page? :eek:

The armed perps told Bailey that they had been watching him for awhile. The perp that was killed lived one building away from Bailey.

They are all very lucky to be alive.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope the process doesn't cost the defenders too much money or grief and that they have help as appropriate for dealing with the possible emotional effects.