Collapsing arches

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
My arches are going. I can wear arch supports and shoes when needed in class, but need some help for sparring because I'm pulling arch muscles pushing off. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carl

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
try taping it with 2 inch tape, 2x wrap around the instep and arch. not tight or loose. might take some practice to find the snug spot. see how that feels. I had to do it for a while, but incorporated the wrap into a ankle/arch figure 8 2 times. not a roll of tape, just 1 piece, 2 layers (twice).

hard to explain.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
try taping it with 2 inch tape, 2x wrap around the instep and arch. not tight or loose. might take some practice to find the snug spot. see how that feels. I had to do it for a while, but incorporated the wrap into a ankle/arch figure 8 2 times. not a roll of tape, just 1 piece, 2 layers (twice).

hard to explain.

Thanks. Where do you tension the tape, pulling up on the inside at the arch? The only other thing I've thought about is taping some kind of arch support to my arch, since it will be inside the footpads anyway.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Where do you tension the tape, pulling up on the inside at the arch? The only other thing I've thought about is taping some kind of arch support to my arch, since it will be inside the footpads anyway.

hi carl. Im no dr, just an athlete with experience. having said that,

Yes, wrap the tape so the bottom of your foot the tape is going inwards towards the other foot, then wrap the tape "pulling" the arch up. When you wrap the tape across the bottom lift your foot, when you begin to pull up on the inside of your foot in the direction of the other foot, place your foot on the ground with some wieght and "lift" the arch as you wrp the tape up and over the top. When you apply wieght to your foot, you will feel the tape gets tigher than if you had applied it with weight already on the foot. Applying some (not all) weight while taping will help prevent taping too tight. I am having a hard time explaining it in writing. its easier to show you, but i hope you can understand what i am trying to describe. and it will take a few tries to find the right tension of the tape that works for you. BLUE TOES IS BAD!!!!!

I WOULD NOT tape arch supports to your foot. To me, the idea is good inside shoes for daily walking and running and other activities. however, in TKD or any other barefooted martial art, you will be prone to slipping and falling. they will collect sweat and the tape will come loose. I think its really just useless and a waste. Besides, you should be spending a majority of your time on the "Balls" of your feet anyway, especially when sparring.

The barefoot training should stregnthen your foot muscles and is limited to time, whereas your daily activities in shoes would require arch supports to prevent overworking your foot muscles that are collapsing. My opinion i believe. The arch supports will help rest your feet inshoes. Barefoot training will strengthen them.

somthng else to keep in mind, when i first started taping my feet, the tape would snap when i kicked someting hard. I found it was because the foot was expanding on impact and the tape was TOO tight. I adjusted my tape wraps until i found the spot that worked for me. so if this happens, try a little looser wrap of tape. And get good athletic tape, preferably clothe medical tape. cheap and easy.

hope this helps.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your arch supports are off the shelf, you need to get a pair made for you and your feet. They're expensive (400-500 bucks) but it will be the best money you ever spent. They'll last at least ten years, too.

Good luck, bro.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've got custom arch supports/orthotics, and they're a help in shoes. It's been a slow recovery from meniscus surgery late last fall, and now developing arch issues on the same side. Rebuilding conditioning takes time. Did find some arch taping videos on Youtube and some exercises. Patience is always a harder part of the challenge. D1jinx, thanks for the detailed explanation; I get what you're saying.

Carl

Latest Discussions