Co-ordination Set #1 & #2

B

BlackPhoenix

What are everyones vews on these sets? What do you believe it teaches you? What things in Kenpo do you think are just filler or busy work.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
What are everyones vews on these sets? What do you believe it teaches you? What things in Kenpo do you think are just filler or busy work.
You know, you've already made up your mind about the system and you're certainly not bringing anything new to these discussions. I'm glad a couple of high ranking 1st gens (Who would those people be BTW?) think the way you do but c'mon, these questions are really silly. If you don't like it, do something else, take your cupcake and be happy. There are those of us that are of the opinion that the sets, forms, and techniques have much to offer and you won't convince us otherwise. I understand the system, why things are there, how to make them work, and understand it's not category completion moves, and I certainly don't do FILLER or BUSY work. PLEASE.

Dark Lord

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

Ya know what...You shouldn't take things so seriously. I love Kenpo very much. But I like to keep an open mind to others opinions of how they like to look at things and compare it to my own notes. Thats all part of the journey man. I would never bash the art or any other art for that matter. But I will look for things that work or do not work for myself. I agree with you and I am well aware that Kenpo has much to offer and that one should learn and understand the material (what it is intended for or what we were supposed to learn from it.).

BTW. I'll tell you what 'HUK' told me when I asked him about these two sets at a seminar about a year ago. "THERE IS NO CO-ORDINATION SETS 1 & 2 !!!" . He said it was busy work and filler and not only to me, but to a few of us Black Belts. I will only learn from 1st generation students of Mr. Parker. But like I said before brother..."I LOVE KENPO!!!"

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
BTW. I'll tell you what 'HUK' told me when I asked him about these two sets at a seminar about a year ago. "THERE IS NO CO-ORDINATION SETS 1 & 2 !!!" . He said it was busy work and filler and not only to me, but to a few of us Black Belts. I will only learn from 1st generation students of Mr. Parker. But like I said before brother..."I LOVE KENPO!!!"
How very sad.

Dark Lord

OP
R

rmcrobertson

1. I think it's filler and busy-work to make up names like, "Black Phoenix."

2. I think that subjects and verbs should agree.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

BlackPhoenix said:
I will only learn from 1st generation students of Mr. Parker. But like I said before brother..."I LOVE KENPO!!!"

Other students may have some things to teach you as well. And not all 1st gen. students may be able to do as well. But that's your problem, not mine. I try to learn something from everybody. :uhyeah:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like doing the coordination sets, even if time and truth find they are fillers. I miss doing Japanese forms, because of the level of artistry present in the timing of execution; it's felt to me like there is more expectation of an artistic delivery in JMA forms than in Kenpo forms. The coordination sets feel like a harken-back to the artistry of the Japanese forms.

Now, the clarifications and disclaimers before the misunderstandings and flames start.

Yes, I know there is artistry in the kenpo forms. Duh. I also am aware that one can perform the kenpo forms in any way they good well please. That having been said, most forms execution in kenpo is quick and sharp, and if you pause to profile a stance or transition in kenpo forms in tournaments...let's just say MOST kenpo forms deliveries have the sense of being rushed through, and aren't as pretty to look at.

Yes, I know they aren't as pretty, because the forms in kenpo are SD application and conceptually oriented. SF1 & 2 and the coordination sets are about the only forms in kenpo as rudimentary as even some of the most advanced JMA forms.

Yes, I know I'm free to continue with Japanese forms, and I do. Not because I think they mystically impart the ability to fight, but because they are fun.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is exactly the type of crap that makes MANY of the Kenpo boards so disgusting. This guy (Black Phoenix) didn't state his opinion, you read into it and burned him at the stake for what you THOUGHT he was implying. He just asked a question guys! A senior told him something, he's checking around to see what others think. Where's the harm?

Black Phoenix, I'll e-mail or PM you later with my own thoughts on this.

Your Brother (Who also loves Kenpo)
John

PS: Who the heck cares what you think about subjects and verbs? You aren't grading us are you teach?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackPhoenix said:
Ya know what...You shouldn't take things so seriously. I love Kenpo very much. But I like to keep an open mind to others opinions of how they like to look at things and compare it to my own notes. Thats all part of the journey man. I would never bash the art or any other art for that matter. But I will look for things that work or do not work for myself. I agree with you and I am well aware that Kenpo has much to offer and that one should learn and understand the material (what it is intended for or what we were supposed to learn from it.).

Well, ya know something.....reading this statement, and then reading statements about the extensions (Yes, I know we're talking about kata here) really make me wonder about your outlook and method of training in the art.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brother John said:
This is exactly the type of crap that makes MANY of the Kenpo boards so disgusting. This guy (Black Phoenix) didn't state his opinion, you read into it and burned him at the stake for what you THOUGHT he was implying. He just asked a question guys! A senior told him something, he's checking around to see what others think. Where's the harm?

Actually, I changed my mind. I decided to reply to this post. If you look back at his post reagrding the extensions, he DID in fact state his opinion!! As for the Senior that he talked to.....Well you know, there are many Kenpo Inst. out there. I learned Kenpo from my Inst. but after talking to Clyde, I had a new outlook on the art. Like Kenpomachine said, I myself always try to learn from others and look outside the box. Do I take what one person says as the end all, be all??? Hell no!!!

Mike

OP
M

MisterMike

Mr. Parker did not create the coordination sets. That is why some Kenpo bloodlines do not teach them, and why Mr. Planas gave you the answer he did.

I think there are better things already in the system to run for coordination. Like things that have real application.

Filler? Maybe. Depends on the teacher.

OP
R

Rainman

Brother John said:

Black Phoenix, I'll e-mail or PM you later with my own thoughts on this.

Your Brother (Who also loves Kenpo)
John

PS: Who the heck cares what you think about subjects and verbs? You aren't grading us are you teach?

leave it to the beav to talk to some smack then blame everyone else for doing so... sheesh dude try following your own advice.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Mr. Parker did not create the coordination sets. That is why some Kenpo bloodlines do not teach them, and why Mr. Planas gave you the answer he did.

I think there are better things already in the system to run for coordination. Like things that have real application.

Filler? Maybe. Depends on the teacher.
When you understand the system, and why Mr. Parker added the sets from whoever created them, you'll learn why they're still there and maybe gain an appreciation for why they are taught at the level they are. There are fighting applications to the sets as well as the forms. Maybe you haven't seen those either.

Dark Lord

OP
M

MisterMike

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
When you understand the system, and why Mr. Parker added the sets from whoever created them, you'll learn why they're still there and maybe gain an appreciation for why they are taught at the level they are. There are fighting applications to the sets as well as the forms. Maybe you haven't seen those either.

Dark Lord

Possibly. I guess it depends on which version of the system you teach then.

Ed Parker's, or Ed Parker's and whoever's.

OP
R

Rainman

Dark Kenpo Lord said:

Dark Lord

O' really? Name a fighting application for coordination set one- getting cracked in the side of the head because your hands are down only counts for the other guy... At purple belt you should NEVER be teaching anyone to keep their hands below their head for that length of time for a fighting application. Or are you talking about taking a part of it out? Ding thank you for playing, that is a concept known as the equation formula. Not the tek but a composite of all that is known by the practitioner... And for this application to work there must be trial and error done on the mat to coincide with relative positioning. Why bother when there is already a freestyle and/or SD tek designed to fit the scenario.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rainman said:
O' really? Name a fighting application for coordination set one- getting cracked in the side of the head because your hands are down only counts for the other guy... At purple belt you should NEVER be teaching anyone to keep their hands below their head for that length of time for a fighting application. Or are you talking about taking a part of it out? Ding thank you for playing, that is a concept known as the equation formula. Not the tek but a composite of all that is known by the practitioner... And for this application to work there must be trial and error done on the mat to coincide with relative positioning. Why bother when there is already a freestyle and/or SD tek designed to fit the scenario.
You know, you live up to the name you've given yourself here more and more every post. The movie Rainman was about an autistic man and his brother's need to help him. His ability to calculate numbers was his only redeeming quality. Seems you don't have any. Maybe that Las Vegas heat has worn the cranial cavity to a vacuous state?

Dark Lord

OP
R

Rainman

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
You know, you live up to the name you've given yourself here more and more every post. The movie Rainman was about an autistic man and his brother's need to help him. His ability to calculate numbers was his only redeeming quality. Seems you don't have any. Maybe that Las Vegas heat has worn the cranial cavity to a vacuous state?

Dark Lord

I figured that would be the best you could do... You have nothing else. But here is one of your quotes "Rainman is the only one that hit the nail on the head" Talking about pullback/elbows being transitional. So is that your best shot? Nothing about Kenpo but an insult behind a sheilded identity? Hey some can take the heat and some can't- You just proved you can't.

O and fyi I came from seattle so at the time I found this forum it was raining. Sorry I couldn't think of anything so- so- hmmm stupid as Dark Kempo lad.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rainman said:
leave it to the beav to talk to some smack then blame everyone else for doing so... sheesh dude try following your own advice.
OK Chad. I'd hate to not follow my own advice. But please tell me, what does it mean to "talk to some smack"?
Here's how I feel man.
Someone asks something, answer it. Don't condem them for feeling/thinking something other than what you believe. If he has a differing view...talk it out. Maybe he has a good point or maybe you could share your good point and both can grow. This cutting down crap cheapens any effort to share or ask others what they think. People didn't try to have a dialogue with him about these sets and what they do or don't do (until later, like Mr. Mike's insightful reply).
But hey...Chad.... "the beav"....
Nice. :rolleyes:
Thanks for making my point about the kind of rude/mean 7th grade banter that cheapens and corrodes these forums...like the post just previous to this one.

Your Bro.
John

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

I think that this guy "Dark Kenpo Lord" is really caught up in his own hype. No body can talk to this guy about anything. I wonder how he fends in the real world. Dose'nt he have the brains enough to think that mabey some people ask the questions just so other people can learn from them. A person like "Dark Kenpo Lord" only intimidates lower ranking or begining practitioners from asking anything.

I hope that he is secure with himself enough to accept this not as an attack but only constructive critisism. I hope that we have a chance to meet some day to train. LOL

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:

Dark Lord

Mr. Parker approved many different training protocols and allowed his seniors independence of thought. I believe that he understood that there was more than one way to teach Kenpo. We learn a system that does not include some of the sets. It's my understanding that Mr. Wedlake reviewed this with Mr. Parker not long before his death and recieved Mr. Parker's blessings. Regardless, both Mr. Planas and Mr. Wedlake teach a version of the system which should take the rest of my life to try to master. I respect your right to learn what you feel is important but chafe at the implication that Mr. Parker felt there was one "correct way" and that you have the inside line on theis way.

If there are great fighting applications not available elsewhere please share this insight with the rest of us.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Latest Discussions