closing the gap

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In most sparring classes you will find whoever moves first (rushing) the opponent will score first. Most guys have a flavorite move/feint/fake to get the other person to move in a certain way....then rush'em.

Practice in front of a mirror, see if you can rush that person before he can move! If you do....that means you are fast enough? Each person will develop his own style to do this.....find what works for you most of the time! Set up feints than just move(rush-in) forward.

Start by bouncing on you ball of the foot and leap forward till you can get faster and faster at this.....speed does not come only a few times of training....practice and practice rushing....one day you will find yourself being call lighting! I'm still learning...................Aloha

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Start by bouncing on you ball of the foot and leap forward till you can get faster and faster at this.....speed does not come only a few times of training....practice and practice rushing....one day you will find yourself being call lighting! I'm still learning...................Aloha

different rules let you get away with different things, I would definately not reccomend this in a full contact environment or one where sweeps and takedowns are allowed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Action with effect keeps an opponent in check" EP
Any timming mechanism such as pain, suprise, confusion will help; however, learning to fight at any range is probably the most usefull idea I can think of. Kickers will try to push people away and inside fighters will try to close the gap dangerously by shuffling when a long range weapon would have been faster and safer. Just practice with as many different people as you can and find out for yourself.
Sean

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spit or throw something (a drink, a cigarrette, dirt, loose change, etc.) into their face, when they flinch, hit 'em. :D

I like the "high-low" or "low-high" approach, either trow a jab to make them cover up so you can use a low-line kick, or if you're within kicking range hit them low and move in as they react to the kick.

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
A valuable and seldom defeated method I have in sparring is a simple jump. Both knees high, hop straight into their face.. Do whatever hand technique you please before you fully land.

It always confounds 'em.
I agree with this. I heard that you lead with your hands and follow up with your feet to get a speedy attack.

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Spit or throw something (a drink, a cigarrette, dirt, loose change, etc.) into their face, when they flinch, hit 'em. :D
In real life this would work, do what ever it takes to survive but what if you are in a tournament? You do what it takes to win in a tournament but if you do things like that you will be disqualified.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
In real life this would work, do what ever it takes to survive but what if you are in a tournament? You do what it takes to win in a tournament but if you do things like that you will be disqualified.
The original question was "how to close the gap in a fight." When I hear the word "fight" I think of a real-life encounter or self-defense situation, not a competition. Others on this thread have posted excellent suggestions that will work in either case.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:

The original poster left a very vague question. The topic can be taken many ways. As for the tournament style fighting, you do what it takes to win within the rules that are set. Anything outside of those rules and you'll find yourself disqualified!

Mike

Latest Discussions