close quarters combat

OP
N

Northstorm

CQC (Close quarters combat) comes from the battlefields of WWII. Fairbairn created a no frills fighting system using the combat knife and empty hands. He later taught combat in Shanghi (if I remember correctly). He had contemporaries that he worked with who also taught their versions of this battlefield tested system. Rex Applegate is probably the most famous.

The systems today that are combat oriented, calling themselves CQC, are likely a continuation of these founding giants. They wear combat boots (or sometimes steel toe'd boots), and don't focus much on "martial arts", prefering hardcore training in reality based survival techniques.

While it is true that martial arts use the term "close quarters" to describe in-fighting, that is not what is meant by those systems calling themselves CQC.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CQB is a range of combat..you can fight with firearms at CQB ranges...the techniques are different from medium range and long range engagements.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Northstorm said:
Fairbairn created a no frills fighting system using the combat knife and empty hands. He later taught combat in Shanghi

See the current issue of Classical Fighting Arts for a story on the early 1900s Chinese police forces that includes a picture of W.E. Fairbairn in Shanghai in 1908.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The game(MGS3) and Konami website made it sound like a new fighting system that's unique and effective for battle.

I personally just saw a bunch of joint-locks and pressure points that I've seen before and alot of flash for the game's sake. But, some of the weapons disarms were pretty I suppose.

OP
S

Shane Smith

I have personally trained with Sgt. Matt Larsen who has developed the hand to hand curriculum for the United States Army. It is based on the historical western martial arts as well as brazilian jujitsu. It is very effective stuff, but suffers the same weakness as jujitsu in my opinion when we get to the groundfighting...it's a bit dangerous to roll on the ground at pressed-flesh range with a guy with a knife or bayonet(or a ballpoint pen for that matter). That said, Larsen took great pains to explain and demonstrate the need, and the methods, to control the weapon. All in all, I've met the man and trained under him.He knows what he's doing and he and the Ranger he brought with him put on a tremendously valuable class for ARMA. I respect Matt highly.

Latest Discussions