close quarters combat

H

Hanzo04

has anybody heard of close quarters combat? if so what is it about? i heard this term used inthe new metal gear solid game. it supposed to be a new military fighting system.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
CQC is a description of combat at a particular range. It's not really anything new, just a term that's becoming more popular in common usage. Military training includes CQC training, but I've never heard it used as the name of a specific system.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
has anybody heard of close quarters combat? if so what is it about? i heard this term used inthe new metal gear solid game. it supposed to be a new military fighting system.

I wouldn't really say it is a new military system rather it is a term to describe martial systems that are geared more to self defense, LEO, or military type training than the more "tradtional martial art" systems we have today.

One instructor who has created a system like this is W. Hock Hochheim. Check out his website at

www.hockscqc.com

I've known and trained under Hock for 10 years now, I would be glad to answer any more questions you might have on his system however the website is a much better source of info.

Mark

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:

CQC...Close Quarters Combat...

Close Quarters: immediate contact or close range (marriam webster dictionary)

So, it is a broad term for combat at close range. Every martial art for the most part covers CQC.

Paul

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
CQB = slightly different story. If you get a guy claiming to teach this in his store-front studio, keep your money and walk away. Pretty much need a good "combat town" to work on this...it's the door-to-door stuff some of our boys are donig in places like Fallujah. You really can't learn it in a carpeted studio in karate pants.

D.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CQC is just a range of combat, as is medium and long range where various weapons come into play.............

OP
H

Hanzo04

Hey thanks for the replys. i am thinking of learining Hocks system. he sounds very convincing. I've always wanted to learn a military martial system. problem is I might want to be in the movies (somehow someway). where else do u get to learn how to use guns and knives and then learn to counter their attacks and dis-arm them. it is very interesting to me. keep the replys comin. thanx.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although I have no personal experience in this system, Hocks system seems like a good one from what I have heard. I am sure it will hieghten your awareness a bit. Have fun!

Paul :ultracool

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me CQC is anything from the size of a phone booth to a small bedroom. But that is H2H CQC of course.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Although I have no personal experience in this system, Hocks system seems like a good one from what I have heard. I am sure it will hieghten your awareness a bit. Have fun!

Paul :ultracool
My department sent me to Hocks class and it was excellent..He did a lot of training for the military and his stories are awsome...

Dan

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in the military CQC was explained to me as being that space in which hand to hand combat is needed. As far as I know there was never a system developed from it but then again I am not afraid to admit I may be wrong.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
CQC...Close Quarters Combat...

Close Quarters: immediate contact or close range (marriam webster dictionary)

So, it is a broad term for combat at close range. Every martial art for the most part covers CQC.

Paul
CQC, generally speaking, is a category used to discuss and teach tactical/technical elements at the individual/small unit contact level.

As it is used currently people are dealing with training that prepare a person to engage 'targets' in that are within 21 feet (close enough to employ firearms, non ballistic weapons or empty hand techniques in some combination against you).

I would disagree that every martial art covers this topic though. It is not a common school that teaches students how to deal with a firearm toting bad guy in a room full of furniture and appliances or sitting in a car/bus/airplane setting.

I would say that martial arts (empty hand and non ballistic weapons training) is a VERY useful tool to have in your CQC tool box of skills. The trick is how you combine that set of skills with other skills to become tactically proficient at that range.

As an example of how CQC differs from other military science/tactical categories, a higher level military leader would have to have training (Planning at the Campaign/Theater of Operation/ 'War' level) in how to plan out where, when, why and how such CQC contacts should happen.

OP
A

archmagician

FYI, you get just enough "hand-to-hand" training in the military to get your *** kicked in a bar.

When I was in, I *might* have had maybe 10 hand-to-hand training sessions, my ENTIRE time in the military!!! The army really doesnt care much about CQC or as I have heard it called CQD, because if it did, it would have its soldiers train more in it. Frankly, if you can't employ your weapon in a combat zone...YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!!!! :)

I am *not* saying that these systems aren't effective, I am just saying that your average soldier doesnt know squat about the martial arts, even soldiers in elite units.

To learn the martial arts, you must practice them consistently and often. The military just doesnt make soldiers do it enough. I heard that the ROK forces (South Korean Military units) train in TKD everyday. NOW THAT would be effective training. All the US Army does is regular PT (Physical Training) with no martial arts stuff except on a whim. I really wish that would change since even though I dont see them employing martial arts techniques in a combat zone, it is a fantastic tool for building self confidence and esprit-de-corps.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
CQC, generally speaking, is a category used to discuss and teach tactical/technical elements at the individual/small unit contact level.

As it is used currently people are dealing with training that prepare a person to engage 'targets' in that are within 21 feet (close enough to employ firearms, non ballistic weapons or empty hand techniques in some combination against you).

I would disagree that every martial art covers this topic though. It is not a common school that teaches students how to deal with a firearm toting bad guy in a room full of furniture and appliances or sitting in a car/bus/airplane setting.

I would say that martial arts (empty hand and non ballistic weapons training) is a VERY useful tool to have in your CQC tool box of skills. The trick is how you combine that set of skills with other skills to become tactically proficient at that range.

As an example of how CQC differs from other military science/tactical categories, a higher level military leader would have to have training (Planning at the Campaign/Theater of Operation/ 'War' level) in how to plan out where, when, why and how such CQC contacts should happen.

If your saying that not every martial art covers CQC in a complete manner, then I see your point and I would agree with you....

Paul Janulis :supcool:

OP
C

clapping_tiger

archmagician said:
FYI, you get just enough "hand-to-hand" training in the military to get your *** kicked in a bar.

When I was in, I *might* have had maybe 10 hand-to-hand training sessions, my ENTIRE time in the military!!! The army really doesnt care much about CQC or as I have heard it called CQD, because if it did, it would have its soldiers train more in it. Frankly, if you can't employ your weapon in a combat zone...YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!!!! :)

I am *not* saying that these systems aren't effective, I am just saying that your average soldier doesnt know squat about the martial arts, even soldiers in elite units.

To learn the martial arts, you must practice them consistently and often. The military just doesnt make soldiers do it enough. I heard that the ROK forces (South Korean Military units) train in TKD everyday. NOW THAT would be effective training. All the US Army does is regular PT (Physical Training) with no martial arts stuff except on a whim. I really wish that would change since even though I dont see them employing martial arts techniques in a combat zone, it is a fantastic tool for building self confidence and esprit-de-corps.
I have heard that the millitary does not focus on CQC, and in a weird way it makes sense. When it comes to war, if you have high power automatic weapons and such, a punch or kick kind of seems like a waste of time to train. I can see how they would want to focus their time on marksmenship, weapons systems, and such. You must find these "War Hero" movies kind of funny when they not only are a killing machine with a firearm, but a well rounded world class martial arts expert. A multi-million dollar millitary living weapon.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
archmagician said:

CQC should be taught as a way to apply hand to hand, firearms, movement, communication....every assett to deal with a near/small unit/individual threat.

In the military/tactical world, CQC is more than just hand to hand training.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
clapping_tiger said:
I have heard that the millitary does not focus on CQC, and in a weird way it makes sense. When it comes to war, if you have high power automatic weapons and such, a punch or kick kind of seems like a waste of time to train. I can see how they would want to focus their time on marksmenship, weapons systems, and such. You must find these "War Hero" movies kind of funny when they not only are a killing machine with a firearm, but a well rounded world class martial arts expert. A multi-million dollar millitary living weapon.
bayonet training, technically is CQC training. So is the empty hand stuff most troops get. Room entries, pugil stick or using your firearm as a striking tool is CQC training. It is covered, but not to a level of precision or perfection that a SWAT team in a civilian police department might focus on it or a counter terrorist team might focus on it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
CQC should be taught as a way to apply hand to hand, firearms, movement, communication....every assett to deal with a near/small unit/individual threat.

In the military/tactical world, CQC is more than just hand to hand training.

Thinking about it more, I agree with that too. I guess I was a little simplistic when I first answered...

:asian:

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
The only hand to hand combat I ever learned in the army was in basic training and that class was about 2 hours. They taught us 3 simple moves that would never work in a real combat situation. The bayonet training was pretty effective though.

I know there are some SF groups that train in hand to hand regularly. The 10th group train in Kenpo/Knife 4 hours a week.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A good source for military-style H2H can be found here. They're currently under construction (or reconstruction , I guess) but in the past they've had solid material. I assume they will again, once they're back up and running.
Hope this helps.

Latest Discussions