Class what to do and not do

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your school you have a set od rules to foollow but like most schools there are certain rules that can never be broken. So in your school what one's are they?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your school you have a set od rules to foollow but like most schools there are certain rules that can never be broken. So in your school what one's are they?

We're pretty relaxed in my school. But it is an unbreakable rule that people speak and act respectfully to each other, and that---unless there is some physical injury involved which makes it impossible---all students will perform the movements or exercises which the instructor directs them to carry out.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, "NO playing around," especially with weapons. No one should be sparring with each other unless with the Instructor's guidence.

We always bow at the proper times and in/out of the Dojo!

Each school and teacher will have written and unwritten rules...learn them and don't break them......

Know the difference between Rules and Ruler .....this will help some...Aloha

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first started my instructor had a rule that really helped me but its very hard to enforce these days. If there was a noise or if someone walked in, we were not to turn our heads when he was speaking. It still stands for the upper belts but Its an up hill battle when you are teaching thirty Kids at a time.
Sean

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know why it really bothers me so much, but my main pet peeve rule is that belts should never be left on the ground. That is part of our promotion process. After a test, they remove their belts, fold them up neatly, and place them on the ground. That shows that they are discarding their old rank. When their current rank is left laying on the ground, it seems rather disrespectful. Just my opinion.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We aren't allowed to go barefoot.

We can train in socks or in MA shoes, but never barefoot.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in a mainly one-on-one class.....and the biggest rule that bothers my Sa Bom Nim is standing with your hands on your hips. It is a sign of arrogance in Korean culture. Other than that, it is VERY relaxed - although I seem to get a smack on the skull when I forget something or make a stupid mistake....I guess that can be called a rule - as he says "No forget or I kick you ***!" :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taking training to personally. If a partner is going hard and the one that is being resisted takes it as a personal challenge.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking training to personally. If a partner is going hard and the one that is being resisted takes it as a personal challenge.

I get that a lot and I'm not usually going in hard either. A lot of new men, sorry it is always the men, take a female blackbelt as a challenge. Other unwritten rules, more so for the children is no laughing at anyone who makes a mistake/falls over when kicking/makes a wrong move in kata etc. Talking when instructors are talking and standing with arms folded. the belts on the floor annoy me too I must admit likewise with any clothes just chucked on the floor. In and out of the Dojo bad manners annoy me very much! it costs nothing to be polite and makes life nicer for everyone but more and more bad manners are winning!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of new men, sorry it is always the men, take a female blackbelt as a challenge.

My wife ran into that problem at a school that we were training in. The guys that were new and the not-so-new, were trying to bring injury to her on a regular basis. The way to fix it is either to leave or knock a few of them out. She knocked out two and they backed off, for a time. That was our sign to leave.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
No chewing gum on the training deck. That one came with a long and detailed description of the misery and woe that would ensue.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Act like you are paying attention to the instructors crack pot political ideas, nod your head, and don't disagree with him or no one will get any training in. Sometimes that's really hard!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Act like you are paying attention to the instructors crack pot political ideas, nod your head, and don't disagree with him or no one will get any training in. Sometimes that's really hard!

Jeff---this is what you have to put up with at your school??? That is bizarre... is it worth sticking around there? Could really be a major distraction.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff---this is what you have to put up with at your school??? That is bizarre... is it worth sticking around there? Could really be a major distraction.
I've often asked myself that same question. Usually, he'll wait till after class is over, but occasionally, he start it that way.

It's something I'm debating all the time.

Jeff

Latest Discussions