U.K. Sword Ban

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are murders by sword common in the U.K.?
Not really. I can think of two in recent years, but knife crimes care more common chiefly amongst young gang members, mainly in London. Itā€™s due to availability of weapons in the U.K. Thankfully, guns are not easily available over here (thereā€™s supposedly only 6 pistols in circulation amongst the criminal underground) otherwise Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be the weapon of choice amongst criminals, as they are in the USA.
Who is behind the ban and why?
Our failing government. They need something to boost their plummeting popularity as the idea is naturally popular amongst the public, especially the families of those killed by bladed weapons.
IMO a sword ban is crazy.
Iā€™m partly in agreement with you. I think they should not be available for purchase, online, by muggles who just want something cool to hang on their wall or make silly chopping videos for TikTok. But fully registered, licensed sale to those learning martial arts or antique collectors should be permissible. Iā€™d even go as far as suggesting a mental health record would exclude a person from keeping a sword, but thatā€™s more difficult to implement. In other words, it should be very difficult to purchase and keep a sword.
Will they come for chefs next?
Only if they start carrying them around in public without legitimate reasons.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has just bought a sword from a famous Japanese dealer and is a little worried about it being seized and destroyed on arriving on these shores. She felt that being upfront and honest was the best policy, but I wonder if that might come back to bite her!

The sword dealer is currently applying for a permit from the Japanese Agency of Cultural Affairs, to export the sword. The purchaser asked the dealer on strategies to facilitate the swords smooth delivery to her address and the dealer said they had little experience in this (!) but suggested she contacted U.K. Customs on her intent to import a Japanese, antique sword. HMRC said theyā€™d calculate the import tax and bill her when it arrived in the U.K., but suggested she should contact the Home Office about her intent and for ā€˜adviceā€™ on itā€™s import. She has done this and awaits a response.

I think the uncertainty in all this, especially on the dealerā€™s side, is quite disconcerting, but thatā€™s the state of play. Iā€™ll keep you informed as to whether her honesty was the best course of action!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are murders by sword common in the U.K.? Who is behind the ban and why? The only one I can recall here in the US was a karate feud that got out of hand in the 1970's. It was a great story, but 50 years is too long ago to remember the details. It was an interesting time. IMO a sword ban is crazy. Will they come for chefs next?
Murders by sword may be rare, but Iā€™d like to know more about how often people are stabbed in the rear with screwdrivers. Thatā€™s something Iā€™ve never heard before. Maybe Brita canā€™t be trusted with simple tools of any kind. šŸ˜‚

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in military academy two officer cadets got into a fight with their sabers. One stabbed the other in the buttock severing the gluteal artery. Both survived the rest of the year as buck privates doing all the menial chores that could be stacked on them with no access to the PX or liberty.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a ITN news report of gangs of Sikhs fighting each other with swords at the Golden Temple in Amritsar (I think). It was over something fairly trivial, and nobody was badly hurt, but it was rather fascinating seeing swords actually used in anger! As you can see it was rather half-hearted and sloppy!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a ITN news report of gangs of Sikhs fighting each other with swords at the Golden Temple in Amritsar (I think). It was over something fairly trivial, and nobody was badly hurt, but it was rather fascinating seeing swords actually used in anger! As you can see it was rather half-hearted and sloppy!

I remember watching that with my good friends Bupinder Singh and Harginder Dhaliwal. It was a sad day. We drank a lot of beer over it.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember watching that with my good friends Bupinder Singh and Harginder Dhaliwal. It was a sad day. We drank a lot of beer over it.
Just a bunch of hot heads. I have a friend called Bupinder Singh! šŸ˜…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a bunch of hot heads. I have a friend called Bupinder Singh! šŸ˜…
When I was 20 I was hired by a veterinarian named Karambir Bhullar. He was extraordinarily kind to me. Only one other employee was not a Sikh. He was the most wonderful boss I ever had. I learned an incredible amount from him and he treated me better than some of his own family. Dr Bhullar would ā€œsitā€œfor surgery while his primary servant ā€œ the colonelā€ would hold his tea on a saucer while standing to the left. Both the business accountant and Primary business manager would hold and gesture to charts and and argue on the opposite side of the operating table from Dr Bhullar and ā€œthe colonelā€ and a receptionist holding a phone to his ear. Dr Sahi or Dr Randhawa shuttleing the surgical patients in and out as we operated. Occasionally complaining about the temperature of the tea, Dr Bhullar could accomplish a canine ovariohysterectomy in under 4 minutes cut to close, whilst simultaneously having a phone call and refereeing a fight between accountant and manager. I have delightful memories of working safely within the eye of his tornadoe. I still believe he only hired me because my hair was past my belt line, I had facial hair, I wore a silver bracelet, I had a comb in my pocket, a knife on my belt, and the look of someone with good taste in underwear.:)

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was 19 I was hired by a veterinarian named Karambir Bhullar. He was extraordinarily kind to me. Only one other employee was not a Sikh. He was the most wonderful boss I ever had. I learned an incredible amount from him and he treated me better than some of his own family. Dr Bhullar would ā€œsitā€œfor surgery while his primary servant ā€œ the colonelā€ would hold his tea on a saucer while standing to the left. Both the business accountant and Primary business manager would hold and gesture to charts and and argue on the opposite side of the operating table from Dr Bhullar and ā€œthe colonelā€ and a receptionist holding a phone to his ear. Dr Sahi or Dr Randhawa shuttleing the surgical patients in and out as we operated. Occasionally complaining about the temperature of the tea, Dr Bhullar could accomplish a canine ovariohysterectomy in under 4 minutes cut to close, whilst simultaneously having a phone call and refereeing a fight between accountant and manager. I have delightful memories of working safely within the eye of his tornadoe. I still believe he only hired me because my hair was past my belt line, I had facial hair, I wore a silver bracelet, I had a comb in my pocket, a knife on my belt, and the look of someone with good taste in underwear.:)

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was 20 I was hired by a veterinarian named Karambir Bhullar. He was extraordinarily kind to me. Only one other employee was not a Sikh. He was the most wonderful boss I ever had. I learned an incredible amount from him and he treated me better than some of his own family. Dr Bhullar would ā€œsitā€œfor surgery while his primary servant ā€œ the colonelā€ would hold his tea on a saucer while standing to the left. Both the business accountant and Primary business manager would hold and gesture to charts and and argue on the opposite side of the operating table from Dr Bhullar and ā€œthe colonelā€ and a receptionist holding a phone to his ear. Dr Sahi or Dr Randhawa shuttleing the surgical patients in and out as we operated. Occasionally complaining about the temperature of the tea, Dr Bhullar could accomplish a canine ovariohysterectomy in under 4 minutes cut to close, whilst simultaneously having a phone call and refereeing a fight between accountant and manager. I have delightful memories of working safely within the eye of his tornadoe. I still believe he only hired me because my hair was past my belt line, I had facial hair, I wore a silver bracelet, I had a comb in my pocket, a knife on my belt, and the look of someone with good taste in underwear.:)
Iā€™ve always found a certainā€¦dignity and honour amongst my parentā€™s Sikh friends. I seems to be a definitive trait, if thatā€™s possible.

Latest Discussions