class structure

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in the way different studios structure their classes, such as how long do you spend on techniques,forms,drills,etc. All input would be appreciated.

Kevin Kilroe

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
kevin kilroe said:
I am interested in the way different studios structure their classes, such as how long do you spend on techniques,forms,drills,etc. All input would be appreciated.

Kevin Kilroe
I'd like to make it sound like the structure of the classes is all scientific and based on well thought out reasons...
but to be honest, for me...
it's 40% "what do they need in the way of material or performance quality"
50% Intuition/feel
10% my mood that day.
Just being honest, doubt it was helpful.
Your Brother
John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kevin kilroe said:

Kevin Kilroe

When I was teaching at my old school, we would have 2 days, 1 for the lower ranks and one for the advanced ranks. Each of those days would be devoted to SD and kata. Pretty much anything that was going to be required for their next belt. The other days would be an open class format, meaning that there was really no set thing to do. There was days we'd do bag work, locks, a review of the SD and kata, etc. They were pretty much a fun day, but it was still a learning day.

Mike

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me, every class is different, but they tend to follow a similar format.

30% basics and warm up. I want everyone sweaty and ready for a drink break at that time. A light stretch and a few calisthenic and strength exercises, but 90% karate to warm up. I don't torture my students, but I want them to appreciate the water break when it comes.

20% drills. Partner drills, line drills, pad drills, awareness drills, whatever. This is the time when we put all those basics we practiced earlier into practice.

30% new material. Everybody gets something new tonight. Nows the time when the pace slows down a little as people are required to think and learn. New techniques, sets, forms, something. In an all ranks class I split em up and spin the plates, in a rank specific class, we do it as a group.

20% techniques on the body and spontaneous training. Tech lines to work the new material they learned tonight. Tiger in the cage drills, spontaneous defenses, stuff like that. I like to end the class with alot of body work, because I'm greedy and selfish and that's my favorite stuff to do.

Then I bow em out and bask in the glory of hearty applause.

-Rob

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My school goes on 2 different two week cycles. In weeks 1 & 2 in a 50 min class you get about a 10 min warm up/stretch, bout 20 minutes to review kata and get new kata, 10-15 to review techniques and work on body and 5-10 min on drills, like basics and rolls and exercises (like the do 5 side kicks each leg then do 15 push-ups then do 5 front kicks each side and then 15 squat-jumps etc till class is over).

In weeks 3 & 4 in a 50 min class, we do about a 5 min warm-up/stretch, 10-15 on sparring, either working a new drill or combination or just free sparring, 10 min kata (maybe working it different like partnering up and having one person attack the other like with short 1 or one persson doing little tiger and another doing little crane), 15-20 review of old techniques and learning new technique, and finish with around 5 minutes of drills.

Obviously every instuctor and class is different, so some might end up with a few extra minutes on kata when it seems like people need it and a little less on techniques or drill, but this is the current structure we try to use.

At my first school though I don't remember exactly % of time or whatever we spent on everything, on Mon/Tues you would get review kata & new techniques, wed/Thurs review techniques & new kata (with Fri/sat as make up days, plus friday's class was called fun friday so we would do things like play a modified dodge ball with pads or have an obstacle course, adults and kids).
Every class started with basics, like working punches from horse stance, followed by streching, maybe 5 or 6 different stretches, after kata and techniques, we had drills of various sorts like Partner drills, awareness drills, rolls etc and usually finished with some physical workout like circuit training or soemthing.

C

c2kenpo

For a childrens class I believe that you follow a pretty good lesson plan much like any teacher does. Kids are all learning the same lesson and it keeps it simple to communicate to them, besides if they are having fun they will get the lesson.
For adults that is a bit different you can go in with wanting to teach this principle or concept and the goupr just isn't getting it so you reframe everything and try again, however you may find that you move to something different that the calss can work off of.

Not much help just what goes on round here.

Dave Gunzburg

W

white eagle

Our clases are like this

First we meditate for a min or so then we stretch out the bod
move on to basic brills from a hoss stance
then we move into groups of like ranks anywhere from 2-4 people to work on SD techs or forms
all the while the instructor and or the master is giving people new material or reviewing what they already have and then we bow out of class
all of which take an hour or so
after class we are permitted to stay and continue to work on material or spar until the next class begins about a half hour

Latest Discussions