Churchill Saw It Coming

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It wasn't so much that he was seen as a "has been". More of a trouble maker, given to switching parties if the one he was currently in didn't have a policy set he approved of.

You can view that either as his being a 'chancer', lacking loyalty, or as being a man welded to his own principles. I prefer the latter, more admirable, view. He switched parties several times, sitting with all three in the end; each time was on a clash of principle with those 'above' him.

I don't mind much people who switch befre the election, but the turncoats who do it after annoy me. The people who voted them in in all likelyhood would have never done so...

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind much people who switch befre the election, but the turncoats who do it after annoy me. The people who voted them in in all likelyhood would have never done so...

There is a little different tradition in the Westminster system, the voters might put just as much importance on the candidate as much as the party he belongs to and not necessarily vote along party lines.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a little different tradition in the Westminster system, the voters might put just as much importance on the candidate as much as the party he belongs to and not necessarily vote along party lines.

Thank goodness...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in the state we have the same problem. If you change parties as a politician you should be required to do it before the election, or resign until the next election if you switch during a term. A lot of pols whose party loses power try that here and it is a little annoying.

Latest Discussions