Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a general rule, I'd suggest getting your rank certificates from the person who promoted you...

OP
W

Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a general rule, I'd suggest getting your rank certificates from the person who promoted you...

My Grandmaster is not the most healthy man. My association won't be around for much longer. But I completely understand what you're talking about, I just want to know for future reference.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see any (reputable) way you could get one then. No reputable association will issue you a rank certificate "just because."
If you cannot get one from your own GM, your only real choice is to establish yourself with a different association and fulfill their requirements for the rank.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Grandmaster is not the most healthy man. My association won't be around for much longer. But I completely understand what you're talking about, I just want to know for future reference.
Sounds like it may be time to look at transitioning associations... This is likely to be much easier if they can talk to/confirm your training with your current instructor and association...

You can do this in a way that makes it clear to your instructor that the only reason you're considering a change is his health, and the incipient collapse of the organization... and your wish to be able to continue your training at that point smoothly. Probably try to be a member of both as long as possible...

OP
W

Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be time to look at transitioning associations... This is likely to be much easier if they can talk to/confirm your training with your current instructor and association...

You can do this in a way that makes it clear to your instructor that the only reason you're considering a change is his health, and the incipient collapse of the organization... and your wish to be able to continue your training at that point smoothly. Probably try to be a member of both as long as possible...
That is my plan, I am going to be with my association. I just want some "insurance" so I can continue training.

OP
W

Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is there no one in your association who can take over after he departs?
There will be but she is one of the main reasons the association is falling apart. She cheats in tournaments, thinks every other martial art besides her version of Tae Kwon Do is useless, driven away three schools that were apart of the association, and I hate to say it, but she is an all around bad person.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There will be but she is one of the main reasons the association is falling apart. She cheats in tournaments, thinks every other martial art besides her version of Tae Kwon Do is useless, driven away three schools that were apart of the association, and I hate to say it, but she is an all around bad person.

Then yeah, you need to jump ship. Do you have any kind of certification from a larger body? If not, you might be able to find a TKD school in another organization that will fast-track you to a dan grading.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have heard of and seen these Chung Do Kwan certificates, but I would like to know if I could get one. I have been searching and digging trying to find how. If anyone could tell me how, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Photos for Reference:
http://gallery.grandmastervohra.net/images/GMV_20120103120604.jpg
http://www.coloradobluewave.org/5thDanBlackCDKMasterKluzCert.jpg
http://www.moks-tkd.com/photos/9dan_certificate_large.jpg
Perhaps Master Covert in Canton MI, Olympian Tae Kwon Do - Home
or Master Miles. Calling Master Miles......

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The U.S. Chung Do Kwan Association (USCDKA.com), of which GM Covert is a proud member of Chung Do Kwan. Also, Master Peter Miles is a fine member of the Chung Do Kawn. However, if you're merely looking for "insurance" and not to become the student of either of these fine masters, I doubt you will get what you want. As Dirty Dog said above, "No reputable association will issue you a rank certificate "just because."

FWIW, I'd recommend that you stay with your current association. If it closes at some point, then go search out a new master. It will take a shift in mindset to learn a different way. I've been there and done that a few times over the years. It is the honorable way to move forward.

I wish you well.

Last edited:

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
The US Chung do Kwan is a cute enough organization, but they are still only a private organization just like all the other thousands out there. They would hold very little weight without the Kukkiwon. Master Brenda Sell is a fantastic woman and great martial artist but the same could not be said for the rest of those schools not directly affiliated with her family. If I were you, I would say forget about the Chungdokwan, (which is just a private frat club for taekwondo and nothing more) and any other Dan. Train in kukkiwon style taekwondo and test under the kukkiwon. Once you have a certified kukkiwon dan, you're internationally certified as a black belt and are the most reputable in the taekwondo world. And once you become a master, you can start attempting to be able to test your lesser students and black belts for kukkiwon dans as well.
I hope nobody gets offended by my words about the uscdka. But in all honesty, they are a business more than a martial arts association.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not offended, but I disagree. I think it's important to keep our roots alive, and while kwan rank are seen in Korea as nothing more than friendship rank and Kukkiwon is the only official one, internationally keeping our kwans functioning is very important. I'm a proud supporter of both Kukkiwon and my kwan (Changmookwan) and there is no conflict there, so there's no need to forsake my kwan.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not offended, but I disagree. I think it's important to keep our roots alive, and while kwan rank are seen in Korea as nothing more than friendship rank and Kukkiwon is the only official one, internationally keeping our kwans functioning is very important. I'm a proud supporter of both Kukkiwon and my kwan (Changmookwan) and there is no conflict there, so there's no need to forsake my kwan.

Yeah, by no means forsake your Kwan. I would never forsake my organization just for a kukkiwon. However if you're not affeliated directly with the Chung Do Kwan, and are looking for credibility, I wouldn't Perdue the Chung do Kwan, I would Perdue the Kukkiwon.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is my plan, I am going to be with my association. I just want some "insurance" so I can continue training.

Was wondering, have you tried/looked into Welcome to TaekwonWoo | TaekwonWoo for TKD training and ranking in-conjunction with your existing association? Just in case...

I mean, I'm not a TKD guy, but Master Woo is registered with the kukkiwon, so you could get their ranks (provided you meet their training and grading requirements)...

OP
W

Wilde

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A major issue that seems to be plaguing this thread is that some are thinking I just want rank "just cause". I simply want to have an good association, federation, or whatever that I can join that will let me continue my training and earn my rank.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
A major issue that seems to be plaguing this thread is that some are thinking I just want rank "just cause". I simply want to have an good association, federation, or whatever that I can join that will let me continue my training and earn my rank.

The kukkiwon is the way to go. If you can't find a kukkiwon certified master to certify you directly as a kukkiwon black belt, then I would find any association that provides kukkiwon Dans with their certification, and just join their association. The largest kukkiwon certified association is the WTF, and the largest private association is the USCDKA, US Chung Do Kwan association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
...find any association that provides kukkiwon Dans with their certification, and just join their association. The largest kukkiwon certified association is the WTF...

The WTF isn't "Kukkiwon certified". The WTF is an entirely separate entity that only governs the Sport Taekwondo side. Also your ordering implies to joint them, individual members can't join the WTF, only national associations can (and only one per country).

This is entirely different to the Kukkiwon itself - they accepts anyone with a Dan certificate as a "member" regardless of which association you are a member of or how many associations from your country request Dan certificates. You can also apply to join their "Kukkiwon Membership System" when you reach 4th Dan, which allows you to promote others up to one rank below yourself (except 8th/9th which must be done in Korea).

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
The WTF isn't "Kukkiwon certified". The WTF is an entirely separate entity that only governs the Sport Taekwondo side. Also your ordering implies to joint them, individual members can't join the WTF, only national associations can (and only one per country).

This is entirely different to the Kukkiwon itself - they accepts anyone with a Dan certificate as a "member" regardless of which association you are a member of or how many associations from your country request Dan certificates. You can also apply to join their "Kukkiwon Membership System" when you reach 4th Dan, which allows you to promote others up to one rank below yourself (except 8th/9th which must be done in Korea).

I said the WTF was an association/Federation. That's a correct statement. There is no WTF affiliate that is not Kukkiwon certified or certifiable. I suggested anyone go to a school or association that is a part of the WTF, because they will have the opportunity to receive a kukkiwon Dan. Just like with the Kukkiwon, not anybody can join them, they have to find a school that is affiliated with the Kukkiwon to get certified. I don't exactly know what you're trying to refute?

If an association practices WTF Taekwondo, they also promote through the Kukkiwon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions