Chung Do Kwan and KKW

OP
CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DarkPhoenix, your signature has the Chung Do Kwan Oath. That is the same Oath my students and I recite after each class.

Yes, and that is the reason why I put it there, because it means a lot to me in the way it is taught and perceived by it's practitioners. We recite it before every class after bowing in. Next time I see my GM, I am going to ask him his thoughts of the KKW. And everything that I have read makes CDK out to me nothing more than a social fraternity outside of the KKW, where it has been absorbed. I count myself as fortunate that my girlfriend found this dojang. It has rekindled what I had felt when I got into TKD to begin with. Thanks again guys for all of your replies. This has been a great learning experience for me. Keep them coming.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OT, where in Columbus is your Dojang? I used to live out near Westerville.

We've used the Tuttle Rec Center in the OSU campus area for the last six years or more.. but we're in trouble with that now, because the city, due the severe budget crunch that a lot of municipalities are experiencing, has opted to close a dozen of its rec centers, and Tuttle is one of them. We're kind of a 'regional campus' of the Little Star dojang in Hilliard, where my instructor, Allan Shirley is the ex officio head instructor, but it's not clear what our fate is going to be now that we're in danger of losing our (incredibly spacious!) training venue... have to see how this whole budget thing plays out.

And yes: our TKD is quite Shotokan-ish too (though we use the TKD open-hip kicking techs)... but then, Song Moo Kwan is essentially a near-direct translation of Shoto Kan into Korean, so it's not really a surprise, eh? :)

Last edited:

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for this Miles! It's too bad the CDK website isn't available in English.

Can anyone translate Hangul?!
Been following this thread with great interest. A very interesting read, everyone!

While not perfect, IcemanSK, and while it translates only the typed text and not the text on graphics, here's the Babel Fish translation for you. :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've used the Tuttle Rec Center in the OSU campus area for the last six years or more.. but we're in trouble with that now, because the city, due the severe budget crunch that a lot of municipalities are experiencing, has opted to close a dozen of its rec centers, and Tuttle is one of them. We're kind of a 'regional campus' of the Little Star dojang in Hilliard, where my instructor, Allan Shirley is the ex officio head instructor, but it's not clear what our fate is going to be now that we're in danger of losing our (incredibly spacious!) training venue... have to see how this whole budget thing plays out.

And yes: our TKD is quite Shotokan-ish too (though we use the TKD open-hip kicking techs)... but then, Song Moo Kwan is essentially a near-direct translation of Shoto Kan into Korean, so it's not really a surprise, eh? :)

First and foremost Exile, I sure hope that your dojang is able to survive this budget-crunch adversity. The same thing is happening in the Detroit area which is also suffering from a rather difficult economy.

The thread is primarily about the Chung Do Kwan, but you may know that the founder of the Song Moo Kwan, GM Ro, Byung Jik, was a student with GM Lee, Won Kuk at the Shotokan. When both men were back in Korea after WWII, GM Ro was an instructor at the Chung Do Kwan.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First and foremost Exile, I sure hope that your dojang is able to survive this budget-crunch adversity. The same thing is happening in the Detroit area which is also suffering from a rather difficult economy.

Thanks, Miles, I much appreciate the thought! :asian:

The thread is primarily about the Chung Do Kwan, but you may know that the founder of the Song Moo Kwan, GM Ro, Byung Jik, was a student with GM Lee, Won Kuk at the Shotokan. When both men were back in Korea after WWII, GM Ro was an instructor at the Chung Do Kwan.

Yes, I knew about the connection there—there was a kind of 'old boys' network' amongst the Korean MA students back in Japan in the 1930s, and Gms. Ro and and Lee were right at the heart of it (I believe that BJR was technical director at the KKW for many years).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Exile I hope everything works out foyou and the students. Best of luck with the crunch.

Latest Discussions