Chugo vs. Chugi

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been taught by a non-Korean instructor (student of a Korean one though) that chago (I write it like that) means that you perform chagi in combination with another following technique (for example, you punch or strike with the elbow immediately after the kick, while your foot gets back to the floor). I imagine it can be some kind of variation of the word according to the way it is used. This was asked here some time ago and I believe someone with Korean language knowledge confirmed the combination idea (but I think no-one mentioned my linguistics conjecture).

As for "makko" instead of "makki" I don't remember anyone mentioning it but I believe it's about same idea.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The o ending is a little like the English gerund, and is used when a kick or block is followed by another. It's a bit like saying 'turning kick' as 'dollyo chagi', or 'chago' if it is followed by another.

Gnarlie

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
The o ending is a little like the English gerund, and is used when a kick or block is followed by another. It's a bit like saying 'turning kick' as 'dollyo chagi', or 'chago' if it is followed by another.

Gnarlie

This is basically correct. I am not sure how deep you want to get into Korean but a little more detail is below.

A verb plus 'gi' is the nominalization of the word. So 'dollyo chagi' means roundhouse kicking.

A verb plus 'go' represents the conjunction 'and,' which implies something is to follow. For example, Ap chago dollyo chagi. Front kick and roundhouse kicking.

Latest Discussions