Chuck Norris and TKD

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just saw an interesting bit of information and looking for verification. The movie Missing In Action was being promo'ed when the announcer stated that Mr. Norris was the first westerner ever to be graded as an 8th Dan in TKD. I was under the assumption that he was a TSD practicioner not TKD. Anybody have any information on the subject?

J

Jrush

This is from http://www.chucknorris.com/html/biog.html
In 1997, Chuck achieved another milestone in his life by being the first man ever in the Western Hemisphere to be awarded an 8th degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system. This was a first in 4,500 years of tradition.
I belive that SaBum Nim is friends with Chuck Norris, at least all the pictures of the two that I have seen lead me to belive this. I will ask him more about it on Monday when I next have class.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
How do you get an honorary 8th Dan? Either you are 8th Dan or you are not.
well i guess if you got enuff money you can be and do just about anything

A

Andy Cap

C'mon you are truly naiive nough to think that people don't get "Honorary" rank - are you? At least Chuck Norris is an accomplished martial artist. Heck, George Bush was given an honorary black belt. In the end rank means squat, other than dictating who's the boss.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
Heck, George Bush was given an honorary black belt.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! I've never heard that! LOL! What syle does the President hold rank in? Does he have any actual training?

A

Andy Cap

Tae Kwon Do, I do not remember what organization or anything. I just remember the ceremony I saw on TV. I don't know that he has any training.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that Chuck Norris received a Kukkiwon dan certificate-I believe 6th dan.

As far as 8th dan-the first Non-Korean to receive this rank from Kukkiwon is GM Edward Sell of Florida in 1991. He received his 9th dan from Kukkiwon in 2001.

Miles

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles, out of curiosity, are you affiliated with Edward Sell's organization at all? I participated in a tournament years ago in Inkster organized by, I believe, a Sell-affiliated instructor and was just curious.
BTW, I was told to attend by my Instructor GM Tae Zee Park. Had a good time, but went right after work. I worked 3rd shift at the time. You can imagine how I felt toward the end.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Norris, Has and 8th from I.T.F. and Kukkiwon. he also has other dan ranks certified with Kukkiwon. A acuaintance of mine that is with Mr. Norris's organization. Say's, the kukkiwon has given him certification like clockwork for many year's.

Mithios

OP
B

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"A acuaintance of mine that is with Mr. Norris's organization. Say's, the kukkiwon has given him certification like clockwork for many year's".

No reflection on Mr. Norris intended here, but to me that stinks. How can the Kukkiwon justify awarding ranking to a non TKD practicioner? I can imagine that TKD practicioners that can't afford or find someone to sign off on their application for promotion would be kind of ticked off big time.

J

JanneM

Brad Dunne said:
"A acuaintance of mine that is with Mr. Norris's organization. Say's, the kukkiwon has given him certification like clockwork for many year's".

No reflection on Mr. Norris intended here, but to me that stinks. How can the Kukkiwon justify awarding ranking to a non TKD practicioner? I can imagine that TKD practicioners that can't afford or find someone to sign off on their application for promotion would be kind of ticked off big time.
Please visit Kukkiwon homepage and find out who else has been avared with honorary dan grades by Kukkiwon.
Its all politics baby. :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Miles, out of curiosity, are you affiliated with Edward Sell's organization at all?
No, though I have friends who are current and former students of GM Sell.

Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mithios said:
Mr. Norris, Has and 8th from I.T.F. and Kukkiwon. he also has other dan ranks certified with Kukkiwon. A acuaintance of mine that is with Mr. Norris's organization. Say's, the kukkiwon has given him certification like clockwork for many year's.

Mithios
Mithios, do you know if he promotes any of his students through the Kukkiwon? BTW, it should not be surprising that anyone of Mr. Norris' stature was issued dan rank through either ITF or Kukkiwon.

There could have been politics involved, but politics is not necessarily a bad thing. It could be as simple as other TKD folks of his era were getting promoted and he had time-in-grade. Sure looks good publicity-wise for all involved to ensure he gets a certificate.

Miles

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
Just saw an interesting bit of information and looking for verification. The movie Missing In Action was being promo'ed when the announcer stated that Mr. Norris was the first westerner ever to be graded as an 8th Dan in TKD. I was under the assumption that he was a TSD practicioner not TKD. Anybody have any information on the subject?
look up Edward B Sell, I think he claims to be the first, but that may be qualified as the first to be recognized by Koreans.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But it would be one thing if he spent his martial arts career practicing and promoting Kukkiwon/WTF Tae Kwon Do and was a leading voice of its techniques and philosophy.

It's quite another if the Kukkiwon awarded him (or any other celebrity) a Kukkiwon certificate for being "Chuck Norris".
I think the Kukkiwon should have a rule: If you are actively certified through another TKD organization (ITF, ATA etc.) you cannot obtain Kukkiwon certification. You must pick one. ITF or Kukkiwon-what's it gonna be?

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Michigan,

We do all know that is not the case...I can hold Kukkiwon certification based on an ITF Dan Certificate (up to third dan), and I dont know a single Tae-Geuk hyung!

Most are fairly reciprical in that since. Also, Chuck Norris holds ranks from both the Kukkiwon and the ITF, however has promoted himself as a lifeling TSD practitioner and not he creator of his own art.

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nevertheless, it bugs me when an Instructor holds Kukkiwon certification and does nothing to promote Kukkiwon technique. And yes, they are numerous. I stand by my belief though. I think the Kukkiwon should refuse to certify you if you are active in another TKD organization.
What, if anything, has Chuck Norris ever done to promote the Kukkiwon?

Latest Discussions