Chuck Norris and TKD

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for completeness of information:

1984 Black Belt with WTF logo at the top, and Dr Kim, Un-yong signing as WTF President at the bottom (the cert refers to Kukkiwon too, and has KTA logo on it). You can see from Grandmaster Vohra's other certificates, they continue before and after that point as Kukkiwon:

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wasn't way back. It was after 2000, so not that long ago. As I recall from the poster, it only lasted for a short period. Sort of a trial period.

Wasn't that recent, I started in 1986, got my first dan in 1990 and mine was Kukkiwon (and have been since). The one I can find online was 1984 (shared above) and that fits with my memory of when I'd been told it happened.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't that recent, I started in 1986, got my first dan in 1990 and mine was Kukkiwon (and have been since). The one I can find online was 1984 (shared above) and that fits with my memory of when I'd been told it happened.

Yeah maybe my memory is faulty. Anyway, Michael jai White has probably trained in some independent KKW- off shoot if he isn't listed

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJW is born 1967 though. So maybe he was part of WTF certificates
Sorry, I think I may not have been clear on some point of this:

* If you look at GM Vohra's Kukkiwon 3rd Dan from the link above, that was a Kukkiwon certificate dated in 1981 (so it was Kukkiwon up until 1981, again his 1978 2nd Dan shows Kukkiwon)
* Even if MJW was in the "WTF issued range" of dates, the Kukkiwon still imported that data and would be in the Kukkiwon database.

My guess is he had a dojang-only certificate from a school that did WTF/WT/Kukkiwon style Taekwondo (if he claims a "black belt in WTF Taekwondo").

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for completeness of information:

1984 Black Belt with WTF logo at the top, and Dr Kim, Un-yong signing as WTF President at the bottom (the cert refers to Kukkiwon too, and has KTA logo on it). You can see from Grandmaster Vohra's other certificates, they continue before and after that point as Kukkiwon:

Forgot about that logo being on there. I am certain it is on my 1st - 4th Dan certificates but they are sealed in the frame behind my 5th Dan which is the newer style.
1632322378125.jpeg

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not faulty at all. There did exist TaeKwonDo schools in the 50s.
Because you found a video captioned "TKD"?

Name 3 existing before 1955 please include location and instructor.

Name 3 that existed from 1956-1959 not including the Oh Do Kwan including location and instructor.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not faulty at all. There did exist TaeKwonDo schools in the 50s.

The reason why they were virtually indistinguishable from Tang Soo Do is due to the fact that very few Korean patterns existed, and the curriculum was not updated over night. As an example, the ITF WC didn't start until 74.
Can Anyone read the Hangul on the uniform at the 1:05 mark? Doesn't appear to be TKD.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's definitely Hanja not Hangul and I don't recognise the characters (it seems to be 2 characters, so it's not the Hanja for Taekwondo). I've tried going frame by frame but the video is too compressed/old for me to get a clear look at them to look them up in a dictionary.

I thought it might be Karate (Kongsoo or Tangsoo), but doesn't seem like the final Kanji for Karate either.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's definitely Hanja not Hangul and I don't recognise the characters (it seems to be 2 characters, so it's not the Hanja for Taekwondo). I've tried going frame by frame but the video is too compressed/old for me to get a clear look at them to look them up in a dictionary.

I thought it might be Karate (Kongsoo or Tangsoo), but doesn't seem like the final Kanji for Karate either.

The final character doesn't look like Kwan's hanja either (was thinking maybe it's that), but I really can't see enough to tell what it is.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score

Shouldn't the uniforms read Tang Soo Do then? Or were they traditionally non branded?

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because you found a video captioned "TKD"?

Name 3 existing before 1955 please include location and instructor.

Name 3 that existed from 1956-1959 not including the Oh Do Kwan including location and instructor.

It doesn't matter if it existed outside of Chois branch or not. It existed in his branch, and he didn't have patterns to grade from white to black belt. Or a sport. or a federation.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's 1967 TaeKwonDo. Looks like the exact same stylized sparring as the clip Earl Weiss claims is not TKD.

Type in to Youtube

1960's Taekwondo 태권도 Demonstration ~ Colorized​

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another poster of the same 50s clip.

This video contains some early footage of Tae Kwon Do. It is circa 1956. Please notice the basic and rather crude movements that still resemble the Karate roots that played the biggest influence in the development of Tae Kwon Do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Agree. I believe the top character (which sort of looks like a cursive 'k') may be a proper name.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
In what way would Chuck have sparred differently in these open championships if he had joined a TaeKwonDo labelled school?

He spars exactly the same. It's a Korean system, period.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Btw, were there no Japanese style Karate schools taught in Korea post war? Were they all Tang Soo Do or Kong Soo Do?

It would be interesting to know when the first Shotokan school opened in South Korea.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can Anyone read the Hangul on the uniform at the 1:05 mark? Doesn't appear to be TKD.
It kind of looks like "senior student" in hanja, but I'm not sure that was a title that someone would have worn on their dobok? Seonbae Nim? I know hangul is 선배 I think hanja is 长老

Latest Discussions