Chuck Norris and TKD

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jackie Chan has stated that he does Hapkido. I'm quite certain that Wesley Snipes holds a dan rank in KKW. Michael Jai White is dan ranked in both ITF and KKW according to himself in an interview with Michael Schiavello.
I am pretty sure Snipes is belted in Shotokan and Hapkido. May have dabbled in other styles.
Chan is definitely CMA in primary but is also belted in Hapkido.
White claims to have belts in around 7 styles. How deep the education is seems speculative.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
They don't do this in Karate/TSD kata, called bending ready stance. So there are some differences

I don't need Chuck's jeans

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't find him in the Kukkiwon database (using his first and last name or full name)

Can you find Michael Jai White?

the KKW database isn't complete. It might be ITF. Snipes does hold at least a 2 degree in some TKD branch. My guess was KKW based on who he was standing next to.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm quite certain ........................ Michael Jai White is dan ranked in both ITF and KKW according to himself in an interview with Michael Schiavello.
Link to interview please. Tried to find it and video did not play.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you find Michael Jai White?

the KKW database isn't complete. It might be ITF. Snipes does hold at least a 2 degree in some TKD branch. My guess was KKW based on who he was standing next to.

I can't find Michael Jai White either (using his publicly available DOB and name).

The KKW database is complete - Kukkiwon doesn't issue a certificate unless you're in the database (the certificates are generated from the database).

Just to be clear though, if someone claims a "WTF black belt" then that may well be from an independent school that just does the same style (without actually being certified by Kukkiwon). Lots of people confuse the two organisations and use the terms for the style not the organisation.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's only being argued because "The Loop" loves to make rash generalizations based on limited observations and jump to erroneous conclusions.

Which generalization am I guilty of?
I can't find Michael Jai White either (using his publicly available DOB and name).

The KKW database is complete - Kukkiwon doesn't issue a certificate unless you're in the database (the certificates are generated from the database).

Just to be clear though, if someone claims a "WTF black belt" then that may well be from an independent school that just does the same style (without actually being certified by Kukkiwon). Lots of people confuse the two organisations and use the terms for the style not the organisation.

There was a period of time when you could get WTF certificates. It was several years ago but I remember someone posting such an example.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

There was a period of time when you could get WTF certificates. It was several years ago but I remember someone posting such an example.

WTF did issue "honorary dan certificates", but they aren't for actual Taekwondo but for global contributions to peace and some such stuff.

They also issued WTF branded proper Dan certificates for about a year back in the 70s or early 80s when WTF was hosted in the Kukkiwon building and the organisational responsibilities were a bit more blurred. However all of that data was imported to the Kukkiwon database when they launched it (source: phone call to Kukkiwon a few years ago when someone else was talking about WTF dan certificates)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
ITF sparring limits you to 2 punches in a row - because you saw that at your school - wrong, a video of an open "TSD Championship" with some ITF competitors shows similarities between "ITF Sparring" and "TSD Sparring" . General Choi awarded Chuck Norris n 8th Dan (Which was a "Special Promotion" recognizing his contribution to MA, so this was evidence Chuck Norris studied TKD as opposed to TSD decades earlier in Korea. TSD and TKD in the 1950's would have been virtually indistinguishable. - are a couple of recent ones. The last one is more of a faulty premise since there were few if any "TKD schools in the 950's since the name was adopted circa 1955 and as you state the TKD Pioneers were often TSD Black Belts so there was no "Magic Switch ' That instantly changed their TSD Habits to different TK-D habits and in fact some never hanged.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is incorrect. The exception would be certain honorary certificates WT has given out over the years.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is incorrect. The exception would be certain honorary certificates WT has given out over the years.
It is not correct. It was done for a couple of years. Someone posted his WTF certificate on this site many years ago.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not correct. It was done for a couple of years. Someone posted his WTF certificate on this site many years ago.
WAY back; when WT(F) and KKW were jockeying for political positions this was true. But largely irrelevant and certainly irrelevant to this conversation.
Again, what is the point you are trying to make?

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
TSD and TKD in the 1950's would have been virtually indistinguishable. - are a couple of recent ones. The last one is more of a faulty premise since there were few if any "TKD schools in the 950's since the name was adopted circa 1955 and as you state the TKD Pioneers were often TSD Black Belts so there was no "Magic Switch ' That instantly changed their TSD Habits to different TK-D habits and in fact some never hanged.

Not faulty at all. There did exist TaeKwonDo schools in the 50s.

The reason why they were virtually indistinguishable from Tang Soo Do is due to the fact that very few Korean patterns existed, and the curriculum was not updated over night. As an example, the ITF WC didn't start until 74.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
WAY back; when WT(F) and KKW were jockeying for political positions this was true. But largely irrelevant and certainly irrelevant to this conversation.
Again, what is the point you are trying to make?

It wasn't way back. It was after 2000, so not that long ago. As I recall from the poster, it only lasted for a short period. Sort of a trial period.

Latest Discussions