Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm watching it tonight (if my date lets me
icon12.gif
) I'll tell you all what I think of it.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw the movie yesterday. It was excellent. I wouldn't put it up there with Lord of the Rings but it's great on its own merit.

Some of the CGI animals didn't come off quite as well as they could have. Using live animals would have looked better but I'm sure there would be some issues with throwing wolves, cheetahs, polar bears, and such together and expecting them to play nicely.

The battle scene was really good. I don't have any real criticisms of the actors' performances.

The theater was absolutely packed even though this was the biggest theater in town and there were 6 showings a day. Lots of kids but nothing so bad a child couldn't watch it. It's not a very humorous movie though; it takes itself quite seriously.

I'd certainly recommend anyone who enjoys fantasy films to go see it.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw it... was very good. Took my wife, who never read the books, and she enjoyed it. Very true to the books. Was great, since I had not read the books in a good 15+ years. Now inspired to go reread the whole series :) Might see if I can get wife to read them too. I wonder if they will move on the the next books? I sure hope so!

Wife was really impressed with the Witch. Loved her in Constantine.

MrH

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I wonder if they will move on the the next books? I sure hope so!

Wife was really impressed with the Witch. Loved her in Constantine.

Check the box office gross for this film. ... Oh, yeah; There'll be sequels!

Tilda Swinton's portrayal of The White Witch was very different than I expected it to be. It took me a while to warm up to her (no pun intended) but, by the end, I'd decided I liked the way she did the character. At first I didn't think she was as intimidating or sinister as she should be but I eventually felt that her persona fitted her regal view of herself.

And, yes, she was really good in Constantine. Her androgenous look really fit her character.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Check the box office gross for this film. ... Oh, yeah; There'll be sequels!

Tilda Swinton's portrayal of The White Witch was very different than I expected it to be. It took me a while to warm up to her (no pun intended) but, by the end, I'd decided I liked the way she did the character. At first I didn't think she was as intimidating or sinister as she should be but I eventually felt that her persona fitted her regal view of herself.

And, yes, she was really good in Constantine. Her androgenous look really fit her character.

I hope they do all 7 sequels!

I thought she did a pretty darn good portrayal of the witch... even some of the subtle features of how she interacted with Eduard were present.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I thought she did a pretty darn good portrayal of the witch... even some of the subtle features of how she interacted with Eduard were present.

Yeah, I think I had certain expectations going in and it skewed my reaction while I was watching it. I've since revised my opinion.

Besides, it was obvious by the end that she was no prissy diva. The gal could definitely throw down!

People shouldn't make assumptions. I guess I've read too many comics where the villian is the megalomaniacal "Mwu-Haa-Haa!" sort.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just came back from finally seeing the movie.

I was amazed. It was awesome. It was my childhood. :)

The movie was so true to the book. I loved every moment. I want to see the rest of them turn into movies.

Can't wait for the next one. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a great movie to watch. It made me forget the rest of the world for a while. I think that's what a film like this should do.

Lisa said:
It was my childhood.

You found a wardrobe that spirited you off to a distant magical realm and then you became the queen?!?? COOL!

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a great movie to watch. It made me forget the rest of the world for a while. I think that's what a film like this should do.

You found a wardrobe that spirited you off to a distant magical realm and then you became the queen?!?? COOL!

When I was a child, I spent many a time looking in my Baba's old wardrobe when we would visit her, hoping to find a land behind the clothing. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Y'know, my wife told me the same thing about going to her grandmother's house. It was also a direct result of reading Narnia as a child. That's great.

I had never read any of the books until this year (when I heard about the movie). I've only read The Magician's Nephew and The LW&W so far but I'm enjoying them a lot.

My days as a child (well, and adult) were spent reading comic books. I guess it's more a male thing for the most part. But still, they opened my imagination and inspired me to create stories for others.

They've also been the biggest influence on my morality, as weird as that sounds. They taught me the value of doing the right thing and refusing to surrender to either external or internal forces even before I started martial arts.

Sometimes I still encounter a situation and think to myself, "How would Steve Rogers handle that?". (If you don't know who Steve is, that's okay.)

For those who doubt that martial arts is more than a hobby, I encourage anyone to take a hard look at those things in their life that propel them toward Goodness. Whether that's The Art, Narnia, or even a comic book I say it's worth appreciating.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say I don't see it as being quite as good to the Harry Potter movies. The comparison is inevitable though not necessarily warranted.

I think that the main difference here is that, like Lisa, so many ppl remember these books from their childhood. That makes this film much more powerful in its own way.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could be construed as SPOILERS, but I don't think they give much away:

Noting that Father Christmas gave the youngest daughter a knife for one of her two presents, I commented to my family that "Everyone likes getting a knife for Christmas!" in the hopes that they'll take up the hint.

At the end, as she ran around with her bottle tending to the fallen, I thought of the fact that she also had a knife with her and I was reminded of St. Alia of the Knife in Dune.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw this movie last night. I enjoyed it. Keep in mind that it's been ~25 years since I read the books, so I can't comment on how true they were to the original storyline...
BTW, according to IMDB:
IMDB said:
Walden has optioned the entire seven-part "Chronicles of Narnia" fantasy book series for film development.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I just saw this movie last night. I enjoyed it. Keep in mind that it's been ~25 years since I read the books, so I can't comment on how true they were to the original storyline...

I enjoyed the movie as well, brings you back a few years!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw it over the weekend & enjoyed very much. Although I haven't read the books since I was a kid (at least 25 yrs ago), the movie seemed to be faithful to what I remember. If Walden does have the rights & plans to make films out of the rest, I hope they'll be as good as this one. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read all 7 books at least once a year all through middle school and high school, and have reread them several times since... one of the perils of having an English professor for a father! Especially since one of his specialities is Tolkien - and I started reading that in middle school too, after hearing my father and older sister talking about Smaug.

I have to say that the movie of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe was very well done - much better than the BBC version (which wasn't bad - but not nearly this good). I enjoyed it quite a bit. That said, however, I still think the book was better - but then, it's really hard to make a movie that is BETTER than a classic novel, and I'm not sure I've seen one. I've seen a few cases where the book was written from the screenplay, and I thought the movie was better - but when the book came first, well... I don't know. Although the movie was really good!

Latest Discussions