Chronicals of Narnia...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa I would have to agree my wife and son's can't wait for the movie I heard the special effect are outstanding.
Terry

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cant wait for the movie as well, but I could DEFINITELY use a re-read. I think I stopped one or three books before the end.

I had an old old copy of the series (box set). I noticed at the bookstore the other day they changed the order of the books? Anyone know what the deal with that was/is?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Lisa I would have to agree my wife and son's can't wait for the movie I heard the special effect are outstanding.
Terry

I have seen the trailers in the movie theatre as well. The Lion is phenomenal looking. I am DEFINITELY going opening weekend.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
I cant wait for the movie as well, but I could DEFINITELY use a re-read. I think I stopped one or three books before the end.

I had an old old copy of the series (box set). I noticed at the bookstore the other day they changed the order of the books? Anyone know what the deal with that was/is?

Yes, one of them, written later than some others, was a prequel. The change in order is to put them together chronologically rather than by publishing date.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:

I could use a re read too, Sam! It has been 25-30 years, YIKES!

I didn't know they changed the order... weird. In what way?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I read every single one of these books in elementary school. I loved them so much. My children have now enjoyed them as well.

Can't wait for the movie! It looks fantastic!

http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/index.html

I loved them as well and can't wait for the movie to come out. They had the same effect upon previous generations as Harry Potter does now - getting young people to want to read.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I loved them as well and can't wait for the movie to come out. They had the same effect upon previous generations as Harry Potter does now - getting young people to want to read.

Very true Jonathan. My Grade school teacher used to read them to us every morning during "reading time" before classes started. We would all sit around her as she read to us. After the first book we begged for the second and then the third. I think we got through three or four books before the school year was out and then I read the rest on my own. Those books bring back some fond childhood memories for me. I am glad they are making them into movies.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My kids are excited about them. I haven't read any of them; I know the author from his The Two Cultures.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
the magicians nephew is now book 1, whereas it was like book 6 originally, and the lion, witch, wardrobe was first. I THINK. I could have that all totally wrong.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
the magicians nephew is now book 1, whereas it was like book 6 originally, and the lion, witch, wardrobe was first. I THINK. I could have that all totally wrong.

That's the one. The story in "The Magician's Nephew" takes place many years before "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", although it was writtten andpublished later.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the same question as with J.R.R. Tolkien's works, or even the Dune series...do you read them in publication order, or in the series' own chronology?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Yes, one of them, written later than some others, was a prequel. The change in order is to put them together chronologically rather than by publishing date.

I read the new collection, starting with The Magician's Nephew. It explains where the White Queen came from, the creation of Narnia, and how the wardrobe came to be made. It also explains little things, like why there's a lamp post in the middle of nowhere.

If you want all of this explanation before reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe then you'll want to read this book first. If you'd rather read the books in the order they were originally published, skip it.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read them, as well, many years ago; but, just finished a re-read of LWW a couple months ago. My oldest daughter and I discovered the British series from God knows when at the library when she was about 8 and we watched up to The Silver chair before we both sorta lost interest.

I, too, am looking forward to the film. It promises to be a faithful reconstruction.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've read the books several times each. One rainy weekend I read all 7 books LOL. I'm really looking forward to the movies. Saw the cartoon, and it was crappy... I have some of the audio books, but they don't really do it justice. I just hope they do it well and give a good representation of it.

If you want some more CS Lewis fiction, try the Space Trilogy. Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength. Quite an interesting read and entertaining.

Read about CS Lewis at Wikipedia, has a smidgen of all of his work.

MrH

edit: btw, the link includes a little info regarding the order of the books.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Except for Goblet of Fire, I've been more excited about Chronicles of Narnia than anything released this year. I even planned on taking Friday off from work to go see it with my wife.

I still want to but I had to take off Friday because my son is sick. Today, I'm still home for the same reason. I might not get to see the movie unless I go alone this weekend. Oh well, at least I get to see what I'm sure will be an awesome movie...and I'll be able to have lunch whereever I choose.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never read the series - by the time I even heard about them I felt I was too old to read them, but when I found out the premise behind how and why they were written, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

I understand it's an analogy to a history of Christianity ... what would you all say?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is correct. Aslan, the lion, is the Savior.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I never read the series - by the time I even heard about them I felt I was too old to read them, but when I found out the premise behind how and why they were written, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

I understand it's an analogy to a history of Christianity ... what would you all say?

The analogy is pretty clear... it can be read as pure fiction though. Like alot of books, you can read as much into it as you want. I hope they do stay true to the story though...

I'm contemplating reading them again myself. Its been so many years... then again, need to graduate first!

MrH

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The Two Cultures.

Hmmm, I had just read an article on C.P. Snow and had him on my mind. Anyway, the Wikipedia link is helpful. I'd like to read the first book prior to seeing the movie, but now I'll have to think whether I should start somewhere other than at The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe!

I saw the Anthony Hopkins/Debra Winger movie of his life not long ago. It doesn't really reveal much of why he'd be motivated to write children's literature.

Latest Discussions