Christianity I can relate to.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.jesusreligion.com/p1LC.html

Has anyone ever read this persons take on the Bible? If I heard someone preaching this type of Christianity I might have ended up a Christian. It seems everyone interprets the Bible in different ways. The main problem with Christianity is it seems most preachers are trying to scare you into it.
I have really enjoyed reading this persons writtings. If you are a Christian I highly recomend it, and I would love your opinions on this.
[/INDENT]

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The man's writings are lengthy and it's late (2:15 am) and I've only took the time to skim through each of his topics/questions. I'll take the time to read more throughly before I post again.
Hopefully this thread won't turn into a fight and turn into one of those threads that'll point out what's WRONG with what he is saying then the next person jumps up and says that person is wrong and on and on and on.

With so many churches out there teaching/preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ it's a wonder that anyone can find the right one suited to their needs/wants/beliefs. There are so many "truths" out there. Believe me I've looked into a great many,including non-christian faiths/doctrines.
In my personal search I've found that each faith (not church because there are many churches to each faith) has their own truth. Many of those truths surprisingly (and not so surprisingly) support the others.

I am a christian by faith and beliefs but am a member of no church at this time. Hell, I haven't even been baptised. But the God I believe in I would say manifested Himself in many different ways to many different people. As I believe there is only ONE God, He is the same God of the Muslims, Buddhists, Shinto, Taoism, and so on, with the exception of the faith of Satanism of which they are enemies. But even with that faith I've found some truth there as well. :asian: Yet one God, many messengers.
Yet God, in His wisdom knew that if He established ONE world wide religion it would cause even greater chaos than the many faiths have already have. It doesn't seem logical but looking at it, it does make sense. Culturally we're different, and yes culturally many civilizations (laws, societies, etc.) are based on the (dominate) general religious beliefs of that area.
But the base truths that each of them have are the same. Be good to one another. Help one another obtain the higher plane.
Sadly however; it is MAN (the species) who twists and distorts the basic truth(s) to their own ends. "God told me this and therefore all of you must do this", "These people are not of our faith and therefore must die!", "You must give ME your wealth and riches (instead of directly to the poor on your own)... and bla bla bla. This distorts the real truths out there. Ironically they can be found very near... in your own heart. All you have to do is learn how to listen.
I found God on my own, I continually am searching and worshipping him best as I may, until I find a church that I can be comfortable in and learn more about my God.

I'll read more of jesusreligion.com when I've more time. I can only state my views on it but I promise it will be from the heart.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't want to start a new thread on this, but did you see the article in Yesterday's New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/us/30pastor.html?_r=2&ei=5094&en=fc81bfdd0ee7feb1&hp=&ex=1154232000&partner=homepage&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

It does require a sign-in.

The article discusses a Reverend Boyd in St. Paul, Minnesota. The reverend doesn't understand how his faith has become so mixed up with American politics, and culture wars.

When the church wins the culture wars, it inevitably loses. When it conquers the world, it becomes the world. When you put your trust in the sword, you lose the cross.”

He said he first became alarmed while visiting another megachurch’s worship service on a Fourth of July years ago. The service finished with the chorus singing “God Bless America” and a video of fighter jets flying over a hill silhouetted with crosses.
“I thought to myself, ‘What just happened? Fighter jets mixed up with the cross?’ ” he said in an interview.

I have often felt, on this board, message board attacked for both my athiesm, and my left-leaning politics. My prior experiences with the Churches and Faiths does not leave me ignorant of the teaching in the Bible, and I have wondered about the things this preacher mentions in this article. From my experience, he seems to have a better understanding than what is common among Christians.

It may be worthwhile to pick up Mr. Boyds new book.

“The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church,”

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Having studied for the ministry and licensed/ordained years ago what I read at that site is some good stuff.

The believers are the church of God. Not the buildings. Like everything that man is involved in you will find greed and a need for power. Men that swear they are the true prophet and God has spoken to them. He may have. I'm sure he has spoken to me but it was nothing like the movie "Moses". God speaks to your spirit, your inner self. We have all heard His voice. Call it what you want.

One true story.........My wife was going out with some friends. I asked her to stay ome. I just had a feeling. That night one of the girls she would have been with was killed by a drunk driver. (just a feeling?) My wife could have been standing next to her.

Call it what you like, I say that is the voice of my God watching out for us.

Latest Discussions