Christian Kenpo Schools

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Must have been Scotty! Beam me up!

Are you finished mocking my religion? I have to admit that I am incredibly disapointed in you. I thought this was a community of tolerance, not bigotry.

Now, back to the subject. I had an old article that debated the location of the cave of the resurrection. It pointed to India, Jerusalem, and a small spot in Japan. It turns out, it is in Jerusalem, according to this article here: http://www.mustardseed.net/html/pjrugrdd.html and a few other articles I found just now.
I was wrong in the other post I did, but I don't mock other people.

AoG

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
At sign your name when you leave a red chicklet. If you were disappointed by that little remark, you would be frothing at my remarks I made on the Jesus Camp thread a few moths back. Besides, the remark wasn't making fun of Christianity, it was making fun of the notion that the tomb of Jesus was in Japan. Don't take things so seriously. Especially thing said on a message board.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Mike Slosek
-MT Super Moderator-

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Death is not the essence of anything.
Sean

according to the hagakure, book of five rings and bubishi (for a start), a warrior lives with the thought of death at all times. this is not a morbid thing, but simply a reminder to live absolutely in the moment, always fulfill your responsibilities and to treat people with respect every time you interact with them. (for example, if you storm out of a tiff with your spouse, the thought that you may die before coming home will turn your butt around to go apologize toot sweet).

one could say that death is the essence of the warrior spirit. for many hear, that means death is the essence of everything.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
according to the hagakure, book of five rings and bubishi (for a start), a warrior lives with the thought of death at all times. this is not a morbid thing, but simply a reminder to live absolutely in the moment, always fulfill your responsibilities and to treat people with respect every time you interact with them. (for example, if you storm out of a tiff with your spouse, the thought that you may die before coming home will turn your butt around to go apologize toot sweet).

one could say that death is the essence of the warrior spirit. for many hear, that means death is the essence of everything.
To establish control over your natural fear of death would be the purpose of the Bushido code; you imagine the day of your death, and say things like, "This is a good day to die" to establish further domination of that fear. By mastering that fear and praying for that day, you become a more effective tool to your warlord, master, wife, or self. The idea is not to simply extinguish yourself, but to be as effective as possible. The best way to establish dominance and control is to use effective tools. Life wins!:angel:
Sean

P.S. If you die when leaving home in a tiff, your wife and children now have less control over their destiny.

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a christian Kenpo teacher, I am curious. Is your Kenpo school a Christ centered school? Where is it located? Mine is in Puyallup,Washington.

"Whoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father, which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father, which is in heaven."
Matthew 10:32,33

Good for you Kenpsy7!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that's certainly a way to look at it, ya hippie. :angel:

god i'm glad a sense of humor is seeping back into this thread.
When ever I teach chess, I explain that the knights are your Samurai and every time one backs down from a fight, it must now go home and kill itself because none of the other peices will ever have anything to do with it.:)
Sean

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find it interesting that anyone could be so bold as to say what "THE" purpose of Kenpo is or is not. The same thing goes for the purpose of a gun, knife, club or a rock.

In themselves these weapons have no singular purpose - unto themselves.

It is you and I who give weapons (natural or man-made) their purpose.

To say the purpose of Kenpo, or a gun, is not to kill but to control, is like a catcher telling a pitcher that a baseball's purpose is not to be thrown, but to be caught.

If someone were to attempt me harm, I would defend myself as best I can.

If someone were to attempt my family harm, I would possibly hunt them down with the intent of killing them (maybe) with my 44 magnum, that I have used (to date) exclusively on tin cans and paper targets, then I would (likely) chop their head off with my machete, and mount it on a stake - the same machete that (to date) I have used only to trim bushes.

But surely if the guns purpose is only to control my opponent, and not kill him, it will not fire when I aim for the heart, nor will my machete be capable of cutting off a human head, as its purpose is only to cut vegetation.

One day, a potential student walked into my school and said she wanted to learn karate, but not the offensive kind. She only wanted to learn how to defend herself, so she had no need for offensive tactics.

I told her I could do this, but first I wanted her to go to a local gun shop and ask to purchase a defensive hand gun, as she didn't want to rob, or murder anyone, so all she needed was a gun that would work during defensive and not offensive situations.

She looked at me like I was crazy. Then I said, honestly; all I can do is teach you Kenpo and if you only use it to defend yourself, that's okay, but if you change your mind, go home and beat up your husband, well . . .

As for addressing the original question, yes, I am a Christian, and no I don't have a Christ centered school, nor do I think I'm smart enough to figure out how to manage the conflicting questions involved in turning the other cheek, just to have my opponent hit me on the other cheek . . . unless maybe I was to claim I did it in order to fulfill the requirements of category completion . . . :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it interesting that anyone could be so bold as to say what "THE" purpose of Kenpo is or is not. The same thing goes for the purpose of a gun, knife, club or a rock.

In themselves these weapons have no singular purpose - unto themselves.

It is you and I who give weapons (natural or man-made) their purpose.

To say the purpose of Kenpo, or a gun, is not to kill but to control, is like a catcher telling a pitcher that a baseball's purpose is not to be thrown, but to be caught.

If someone were to attempt me harm, I would defend myself as best I can.

If someone were to attempt my family harm, I would possibly hunt them down with the intent of killing them (maybe) with my 44 magnum, that I have used (to date) exclusively on tin cans and paper targets, then I would (likely) chop their head off with my machete, and mount it on a stake - the same machete that (to date) I have used only to trim bushes.

But surely if the guns purpose is only to control my opponent, and not kill him, it will not fire when I aim for the heart, nor will my machete be capable of cutting off a human head, as its purpose is only to cut vegetation.

One day, a potential student walked into my school and said she wanted to learn karate, but not the offensive kind. She only wanted to learn how to defend herself, so she had no need for offensive tactics.

I told her I could do this, but first I wanted her to go to a local gun shop and ask to purchase a defensive hand gun, as she didn't want to rob, or murder anyone, so all she needed was a gun that would work during defensive and not offensive situations.

She looked at me like I was crazy. Then I said, honestly; all I can do is teach you Kenpo and if you only use it to defend yourself, that's okay, but if you change your mind, go home and beat up your husband, well . . .

As for addressing the original question, yes, I am a Christian, and no I don't have a Christ centered school, nor do I think I'm smart enough to figure out how to manage the conflicting questions involved in turning the other cheek, just to have my opponent hit me on the other cheek . . . unless maybe I was to claim I did it in order to fulfill the requirements of category completion . . . :)
The best defense is a good offense; I always say. I really have no problem with you thinking the art is about death. God knows I've driven to Kenpo Blasting Danzig's "Bringer Of Death" more than a few times; however, going on the offensive is primarily defensive in nature. We can argue all day but the bottom line is that Kenpo is a defensive art. If you teach timing concepts, they too are defensive or why use them.
Sean

OP
K

Kenpsy7

White Belt
Reaction score
Please allow me to explain from a biblical viewpoint how I as a christian Kenpo teacher deal with the turn the other cheek issue. First, there is no biblical example of any christian fighting back when being persecuted soley for their christian faith. We have the Lord Jesus Christ as our primary example. He was falsely accused, illeagally tried and convicted (at night which was against Jewish law). He was then beaten (with a cat of 9 tail whip, and human fists and palms), his beard was ripped out (scourged), a crown of thorns was forcibly thrust through his head, he was stripped naked in public,spat upon and mocked, and finally nailed naked to a rugged cross through his hands and feet, yet he never once resisted (verbally or physically). The apostle John was boiled in oil (but he was not killed), Paul was stoned beaten and eventually martyered (Killed) as were the other apostles. Stephen did not fight back when persecuted soley for his faith, but rather, willingly gave his life for the testimony of Jesus Christ. However, if I were to be driving home and witness a woman being assaulted by a group of men, I would be olligated to intercede on the womans behalf. If it is within my power to defend some weaker person and did not do it, then I would be as guilty as the person or persons that were commiting the crime itself by not stopping it when I may have, and allowing it to continue. If someone breaks into my home and attempts to harm my family, then I have the God given responsibility to defend those that God has placed in my care. If I were a police officer and I was called to defend myself or another person then it would be my responsibility to act in such a manner. If I were a soldier and my government legitimately sent me to war, then according to the bible I would go to war and fight. Ecclesiastes states the "there is a time for war and a time for peace". The only time that there is no clear biblical example of a christian defending themselves or others is in a clear case of christian persecution, in which we have the biblical example of laying down our life for the testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ. He Gave his life for the salvation of others, and did not resist even though it was certainly within his power to do so. I could cite many, many other examples but I hope that the few I have given will suffice. I hope this helps to clear up this seeming contradiction, which truly is no contradiction at all.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like Carol I practice an art that has strong Muslim roots. It's taught by a devout Christian. My guru is always willing to share his faith with those who are interested, but he keeps it out of class. About the closest he ever comes is "Silat is to fight evil, not do evil" and a refusal to do any of the animist or spirit possession stuff that is traditional among some aliran. He's had Protestants, Mormons, pagans, Jews, Muslims, atheists, Catholics, Buddhists and one closeted Satanist come through the doors and has treated them all fairly, not trying to use his authority as a teacher to prostelytize. A "Christ-centered" school is no different I suppose.

I'm also involved with a Muslim aliran connected with a Sufi Tariqa (although several members of the steering committee aren't Muslims. One is an atheist.) Prayer, spiritual exercises and Sufi training methods are an explicit and integral part of the system. But everyone who steps through the door knows this. People who aren't members of the Tariqa are welcome, and teachers are explicitly forbidden to use their authority to convert people. As the Quran says "There is no compulsion in religion." It's still a tricky thing that requires a lot of maturity and honesty to pull off.

That's one of the real dangers. Your students aren't just people in the same room. By becoming your students they are ceding you a certain amount of power over them. They have agreed to take a lot of what you tell them on faith and submit to your authority. That's why "purer than Caesar's wife" is the only standard which can apply when it comes to sexuality, prostelytization, personal aggrandizement, politics or other important personal matters. If you use your position of power to change their religion, bolster your own ego at the expense of theirs, get access to their money, have sexual relations with them or any of a number of other things you have violated important boundaries. Your fitness as a teacher is in question at best. The relationship is not one between equals even if all are equal before Christ. It's a relationship involving a substantial power differential that is easy to abuse.