Chow interview

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
dianhsuhe said:
I will ask Grandmaster Kuoha if he knows who "Jacob" is when I see him next- maybe he can shed some light on this interview.

Cheers,
James
i don'tunerstand why you need to *ask* him when you *see* him next time WHEN he is one of members and has a few posts here.?

perhaps, he will shed some light on this interview in this forum:)

Can't wait to learn more.

:)

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thunderbolt said:
i don'tunerstand why you need to *ask* him when you *see* him next time WHEN he is one of members and has a few posts here.?

perhaps, he will shed some light on this interview in this forum:)

Can't wait to learn more.

:)
Perhaps it's because dianhsuhe has not has never heard of "Jacob" like other members here on the forum, therefore the need to *ask*.
As for the next time dianhsuhe *see's* Grandmaster Kuoha, unless you know both of these mens schedules, maybe you can shed some light as to what you are inferring by *your* comment???

Otherwise we will all just have to wait on a response.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
No, I did read the entire thread. Although I think the sniping policy does apply to comments I made against the Koga Ha contigent, I do not think it's anybody's place to determine what is, and isn't, interesting to an entire forum of people.
You may be right about whether or not someone knows what's interesting. Someone "owns" this forum and has appointed people to be responsbilities as moderators. Although others, like me and you, get to post things and read other people's posts we should try to keep in mind that we're guests.

It's kind of like "letters to the editor" at a newspaper, or trying to get an article published---the editor's decide what gets printed and what doesn't.

When people talk about "freedom of the press" it means we're free to set up our own means of distributing our opinions (at our own expense) without gov't interference (in most cases). Then we can make the rules. That's the way I see it anyway.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify a few issues here. The title of this thread is about the Chow interview. The original poster posted this to have a discussion on that topic. When other topics are brought into the discussion, it takes away from the main purpose of the thread. There have been other threads that have been dedicated to Bruce Juchnik. Anyone that feels like discussing him can A) revive one of those old threads or B) start a new thread to discuss Bruce.

For the 3rd time and before this thread gets locked:

Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation on topic..

-MJS
-MT Moderator-

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
No, I did read the entire thread. Although I think the sniping policy does apply to comments I made against the Koga Ha contigent, I do not think it's anybody's place to determine what is, and isn't, interesting to an entire forum of people.
Mr. Boler, I was not making a determination but simple observations that you may not be aware of.

1) This forum may include aspects of what you wish to speak of, however this thread does not, and you need to stay on topic per the rules of the forum.

2) There are numerous threads dedicated to Bruce, and a quick search will reveal them, and people willing and interested in that line of discussion.

3) Since I began this thread topic; if you and others do not comply, than the discussion that others are respectfully having on topic will be shut down by the moderators.

Thank you for your consideration.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doc

First off ley me apologize, since I am a off thread culprit, and thank you for posting a great synopsis of the article along with the memories that it evoked from your end. Not as an excuse but if cheap shots are taken at a good martial artist, ya gotta do something. Leave it at that

Todd

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Doc

First off ley me apologize, since I am a off thread culprit, and thank you for posting a great synopsis of the article along with the memories that it evoked from your end. Not as an excuse but if cheap shots are taken at a good martial artist, ya gotta do something. Leave it at that

Todd
:asian:

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
After reading the article, I was struck by the similarity to my grandfather. He was a cranky and negative man, and some may say he had his reasons. Many times he would be dismissive and downright mean in his words. But it took a while to warm up to him and then he MIGHT say something positive. Then at the end of my visit, he would smile, give you a wink and make you promise to come see him again.

In the begining of the article the author quotes Chow as growling "yes I know Alo....and I no like him!" He then goes on to describe Chow's abrasiveness and his comments of some of his students. At the end of the interview, Chow says of Alo, "I like Alo!, He needs to come see me more. you tell him." So I'm kind of taking this article as a look at a man, who, on a certain day who may have been venting a bit, but may or may not be 100% accurate with his comments.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ender said:
After reading the article, I was struck by the similarity to my grandfather. He was a cranky and negative man, and some may say he had his reasons. Many times he would be dismissive and downright mean in his words. But it took a while to warm up to him and then he MIGHT say something positive. Then at the end of my visit, he would smile, give you a wink and make you promise to come see him again.

In the begining of the article the author quotes Chow as growling "yes I know Alo....and I no like him!" He then goes on to describe Chow's abrasiveness and his comments of some of his students. At the end of the interview, Chow says of Alo, "I like Alo!, He needs to come see me more. you tell him." So I'm kind of taking this article as a look at a man, who, on a certain day who may have been venting a bit, but may or may not be 100% accurate with his comments.
A very astute observation sir, and now that you made me think about it - sounds like my Grandad too.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thunderbolt: Grandmaster Kuoha may very well give his opinion on here about the article/interview, but I enjoy talking to him in person if I see him :)

I am impressed by the amount of interest in everything that is Professor Chow related, too bad he did not receive all the credit when he was alive-

Take care everybody,
James

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, it is true that I am not familiar with the "Jacob" mentioned in the interview (As Pacificshore mentioned) but I have only been training in Kara-Ho since 1993. I have conversed with Jacob Geotz (SP?) who trains/ed with Mr. Bill Chun jr. but as mentioned, he is a pretty young guy so he would not have been the gentleman from Professor's dojo.

I love all the history, and I am curious who this person is also ;)

Cheers!

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually while we are at it who is Ron Alo??
Is he still "listed" as a product of Chow?

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
My original Kenpo training came down Ron Alo's line, however I never had the opportunity to meet Alo himself. My understanding was that he did come from Professor's line. From what I recall, Alo has been deceased for some time now.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, I didnt know/think that (he seemed pretty young in the photos)

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
dianhsuhe said:
Thunderbolt: Grandmaster Kuoha may very well give his opinion on here about the article/interview, but I enjoy talking to him in person if I see him :)
we are looking forward to seeing his comments about this article when the time is appropriate :)

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Pacificshore said:
Perhaps it's because dianhsuhe has not has never heard of "Jacob" like other members here on the forum, therefore the need to *ask*.
As for the next time dianhsuhe *see's* Grandmaster Kuoha, unless you know both of these mens schedules, maybe you can shed some light as to what you are inferring by *your* comment???

Otherwise we will all just have to wait on a response.
have you noticed that nobody knows who jacob is UNTIL bb's article came out.? I'm also aware how busy these people are. My comment was if he only wants to hear what his grandmaster has to say about this article, he doesn't need to go to see him to know the answer because his grandmaster is a member of this forum and has posted a lot of interesting posts. I'm sure his grandmaster will have something to say about this article when the time is appropriate.

as he indicated in his late post, he enjoys seeing his grandmaster. I don't blame him. Southwest airline is a way to go.

if his grandmaster is generous enough to tell his students what he thinks about this article, i'm sure he will let us know also even though we don't study "karaho". :)

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
Is there any proof that Chow's father knew kung fu or taught it to him? Emperado said in an interview that he had no idea and that Chow developed techniques based on dreams he had of his grandfather. Article courtesy of John Bishop, here:

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/sijointerview.html
There is absolutely no proof that Professor Chow ever studied with anyone else but Mitose. None of his older or younger brothers ever picked up anything from their Father (the kung fu master), nor referred to him as a "Master". Professor Chow was a street wise and a street smart fighter and picked up information from many sources.
The truth is, at the time, Mr.Mitose was the big kahuna of Kenpo/Kempo on the islands or at least had established himself as one. Professor Chow even took his most senior student (Mr. Emperado) to Mitose for obtaining his teaching certificate. This has been verified by Sijo Emperado himself. Of course to claim to have studied with a dead father is always the best way to go. Didn't Mitose claim to have studied with his Grandfather?

Salute,

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Ron Alo was a regular back in the day with his students on the tournament circuit. Nice unassuming man, and student of WIlliam Chow teaching his own brand of "Hawaiian Kenpo." I believe he passed away quite some time ago.

Latest Discussions