chinese weapon thought?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer your question I was thinking the aspect what's how much risk are you willing to take if the weapon is used against you was my concern not that people will actually throw away their weapon I currently have a black belt in Karate it seems in every class they want you to practice the kata before doing the self defense moves
So just to clarify then, that's true for your classes. Not true for every style of karate, or even every school in your style. plenty of places look at kata as nothing more than a warm up or cooldown exercise

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All I can say for sure is they must think its important as I need know the whole thing on one side to get my black belt.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can say for sure is they must think its important as I need know the whole thing on one side to get my black belt.
I'm not arguing that. I love kata. And I certainly find them useful. But it's not necessary to learn a weapon, and it's not enough on it's own to be able to use a weapon.

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WHEN I asked what the kata is for they said it helps you better understand the basic of how thing work usually to get promoted you need to know the kata as well as the self defense move of the month

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WHEN I asked what the kata is for they said it helps you better understand the basic of how thing work usually to get promoted you need to know the kata as well as the self defense move of the month
Again, not arguing any of that. It absolutely can help, IMO, and a lot of places require knowing kata to promote. But you can still learn how to fight with a weapon without kata, if there isnt one available to you. You cant learn how to fight with a weapon without a partner to spar against. Imagine if in your karate class you only did kata, and never practiced self defense moves or any sort of contact with other people. Do you think you would be learning effective self defense?

Latest Discussions