Chinese Weapon Forms

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Recently a guy in my class was doing some awesome weapon forms he had learnt while he was in China, with swords, staff and double sticks. He has to pay £800 for 4 months to go through some very tough training and get beaten with a stick for the privelege if he didn't perform his stances correctly.

Well anyway I don't have the time or money to go to China to learn all this fantastic stuff. I love my present style of kung fu and it does offer a lot but I would love to learn more dynamic weapon forms. At present we do nunchukus, sword, staff and we are branching into 3 sectional staff and rope dart.

If anyone has any useful sites i could learn weapons forms from, with coherent diagrams i would be very grateful!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can't really recommend that approach. You really need to have a qualified instructor to teach this stuff. I just can't encourage you to try and find a website, or videos, or books to try to learn from . These things can be an AIDE, but CANNOT replace a good instructor. Keep up your training with your instructor, and maybe you guys can forge a relationship with another instructor somewhere, where both groups can learn from each other.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know where you're coming from. I learned an awesome intermediate Tien Shan Pai spear form yesterday. I have to agree with Flying Crane, learing from a video just doesn't do it justice. Keep on the lookout for seminars by a reputable instructor and do what I often forget to do after, write it down!

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
Recently a guy in my class was doing some awesome weapon forms he had learnt while he was in China, with swords, staff and double sticks. He has to pay £800 for 4 months to go through some very tough training and get beaten with a stick for the privelege if he didn't perform his stances correctly.

Well anyway I don't have the time or money to go to China to learn all this fantastic stuff. I love my present style of kung fu and it does offer a lot but I would love to learn more dynamic weapon forms. At present we do nunchukus, sword, staff and we are branching into 3 sectional staff and rope dart.

If anyone has any useful sites i could learn weapons forms from, with coherent diagrams i would be very grateful!
i'd happily beat up ur friend for 500 bucks.. not pounds
who he?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A video is a good aid if you already have skill in a certain area & you're adding on or exploring different pieces, but to pick it up from scratch... just gotta say not a good idea. Books are even worse.

Find a good, reputable teacher & learn the only way in my opinion... from a teacher.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
A video is a good aid if you already have skill in a certain area & you're adding on or exploring different pieces, but to pick it up from scratch... just gotta say not a good idea. Books are even worse.

Find a good, reputable teacher & learn the only way in my opinion... from a teacher.

I agree.

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
i'd happily beat up ur friend for 500 bucks.. not pounds
who he?

Almost 2:1 exchange rate on the British Pound to US Dollar. I'll take the Pound note...

500 BP is 882 USD ...

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Almost 2:1 exchange rate on the British Pound to US Dollar. I'll take the Pound note...

500 BP is 882 USD ...
man.. realizing how frustated i am at work i'd beat him for free
or even give him money! in pounds too

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Thankyou for your responses! I know its not ideal to learn this way but there all the kung fu schools taht teach such forms are too far away. Maybe i coudl get taht guy in my class to teach me a little of what he has learnt, hell he coudl teach the whole class too! I don't think its such a bad thing learning some new skills from books if you have studied a Martial Art for many years. My instructro encourages us to leanr new things where we can but he means from other instructors. There are already some people in our class doing JKD and someone else doing Taekwondo!