What do you think about using weapons?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy learning weapons forms but was wondering how they really affect our skills. My instructor was saying that they help in improving out hand strikes and coordination so I guess I'm inclined to believe him! We are also training with Rice Flails(Nunchukus) as well as swords! When you see all these weapons being used with such grace it looks wonderful!
I was just interested to know what people who practice Kung Fu think of using weapons and how they have helped!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tony said:
I enjoy learning weapons forms but was wondering how they really affect our skills. My instructor was saying that they help in improving out hand strikes and coordination so I guess I'm inclined to believe him! We are also training with Rice Flails(Nunchukus) as well as swords! When you see all these weapons being used with such grace it looks wonderful!
I was just interested to know what people who practice Kung Fu think of using weapons and how they have helped!
One good thread that had some discussion that relates to this a bit was http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12730

I'm on my way out the door for work, I'll post more later.

7sm

S

ShaolinWolf

I believe that Weapons are good, not as much for knowing how to fight with it, as much to learn how to use control. I admit I love working with weapons. But most of the time, you personally don't have a weapon in hand when in open fights. Large portion of the time the other guy does, so disarms are great for practice, unless of course you are going up against a gun at 10 ft away...then it's fend for yourself and hope the other guy can't shoot worth beings or you are fast enough to dodge the bullet and then get to the guy before he can shoot you...heh...

But Training with weapons is great just incase you need to fight against someone with a weapon and you turn and...LO AND BEHOLD...a weapon, not an MA weapon, is on the ground and then you can fight back...unless the other guy still has a gun...lol, then I think your out of luck...unless you somehow have this osmotic power to channel the guy's thoguhts and his own vision and aim into your mind and be like Jet Li...lol...which is totally nuts...heh

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think weapons do have their place. It's knowing when/how/where/why to use them is IMO the key.
Learning how to helps definitely with grace and control. It also has practical purposes when one is able to adapt what-ever is at hand and use it effectively.
Outside the dojo, if I'm in a physical confrontation and can see that it would be helpful to have a weapon then I will do so. Mainly to put an end to the conflict as quickly as possible. Thus if I see a broken piece of glass, bottle or even a length of tubafour then I'm gonna use it. Otherwise I will use my training and turn my hands and feet into the weapons they were trained to be.

S

ShaolinWolf

Right, but only if I don't have the upperhand in the fight...if the person is way too strong for me, I'd definitely go for a weapon...cheap, but hey, are we gonna throw our life away just for the sake of pride...? I'm not gonna die like that...So yeah, that's another thing...a weapon, unless I have the situation under control...

I

InvisibleFist

Personally I study the chinese martial arts because I love the way the movements look, I love the way they make me feel, and I really like waving weapons around. I'm funny that way. WHO CARES IF ITS PRACTICAL?

The ability to defend my self is a nice side benefit of my hobby, but self defence is a lousy reason to give up two evenings a week for the rest of your life. If you are really concerned about your personal safety, I recommend carrying pepper spray.

Meantime, I'm going to contemplate the grandeur of Southern Tiger Tail Broadsword.

M

Matt Bernius

As others have posted, it all gets down to how and what you study. I have begun training classical Chinese weapons as parts of forms. It's my belief that this does in many cases positively impact open hand techniques (there are a lot of openhand techniques buried in forms).

From a more modern application, I've suplimented my CMA training with Kali work. And frankly, I think if you are interested in modern weapon theory you need to spend some time working within the Filipino/Indo/Malay systems (possibly systema also... I really don't know enough about it yet). The understanding of bladed weapons and weapon theory you get from those arts is just off the scale. Even my limited exposure has made me rethink any assumptions I had about the tactical application and defense of weapons.

- Matt

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think weapon training is extremely beneficial and I enjoy training in both ancient and modern weaponry. I would rarely use a weapon for Self Defense, but most likely because I dont carry one. I also think training against a weapon is extremely important, empty hand as well as weaponed.

7sm

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I think weapon training is extremely beneficial and I enjoy training in both ancient and modern weaponry. I would rarely use a weapon for Self Defense, but most likely because I dont carry one. I also think training against a weapon is extremely important, empty hand as well as weaponed.

7sm

I totally agree 7*, I don't carry any weapons either and it would be certainly useful to learn how to defend against a wepon, such as a knife or even a baseball bat! I think though if you can be trained to use everyday objects as weapons that could help aswell! I remember seeing Jet Li using his belt as an effective weapong. He was using it as if it were a rope dart and I also saw Jackie chan use a Horse shoe and rope in Shanghai noon!
We are starting to use Rice Flails (Nunchukus) in our system and there will be a course soon which I will be going on which is being run by my instructor!
Hopefully he will also be doing a course on the Rope Dart!
Oh and I have perfected my Stick form and you can't imagine how it feels to have got it right, I'm really enjoying it now as I having a bad time trying to get to the end with it, but wow it feels so great now!!

Latest Discussions