chinese vcds

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are the chinese vcds (video compact disks) okay? I'm training solo and just looking for some cool forms to play around with. I know they are in chinese, which I can't speak, so I'll miss a lot, probably. Does the quality vary pretty widely? Anybody else bought them, and if so what is your experience? thanks

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really depends. What VCD's are you talking about? What is on them? Who did them? All these things will make a huge difference. If you can get a bit more specific, we might be able to shed some light on them for you.

7sm

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've generally had a good experience with vcds. I don't speak Chinese either, but they allow you to get a look at arts/forms which are generally unavailable or rare in the USA. For the most part, the video is good, and the audio is acceptable (although I did run into one exception- the audio was terrible. Even though I wasn't counting on understanding it, the noise on it is terribly distracting.). There tend to be no bells and whistles with the vcds, and I have always felt that you should learn from a person rather than a TV, but I suppose an experienced and motivated learner could pick something up from them. Vcds are also rather inexpensive compared to videos. Check plumpub.com or eBay for examples. I got one vcd on eBay recently for the beginning bid of $.01 (s&h came to $10.35).
Again, they're neat for seeing what a style is like, but not the best way to learn. IMHO, of course.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
I've generally had a good experience with vcds. I don't speak Chinese either, but they allow you to get a look at arts/forms which are generally unavailable or rare in the USA.
I'm not trying to say your wrong, but I find it hard to believe that there are many "forms" or styles unavailable in the USA. What kind of forms are you refering to?

7sm

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I'm not trying to say your wrong, but I find it hard to believe that there are many "forms" or styles unavailable in the USA. What kind of forms are you refering to?

7sm
Ba Shan Fan, Hua Flower Fist, Lian Shan Fist, Mandarin Duck Fist, Mok Gar, Sun Bin Fist, Xiao Style, Yan Qing Chuan, Yue Shi Quan, 3 Star Cannon Strike, Ba Fa Fist, Damo Jian, to name a few.

BTW, I said that these forms are unavailable or rare in the USA. After all, some towns do well to have any martial arts schools at all, much less one which teaches Night Traveler Sect or Wudang Sword. Those of us in the hinterlands get our info where we can. :)

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest checking out the following site: http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/index.html, and checking out the VCDs and DVDs that Jarek has to offer. If you have never visited this site...it is a good one. Jarek is the owner of the site, and he lives in China. So, he posts first hand information in a article format describing some rare systems practiced in China, and some not so rare systems. He will answer just about any quesion that you pose to him.

Vince

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Go to Plum Publications website. They have many chinese vcd's. Not as many as China From Inside but alot, and Mancuso gives you a paragraph describing each one. He also has a list of vcd's that have applications of the forms demonstrated. That is, in my opinion, very cool.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Ba Shan Fan, Hua Flower Fist, Lian Shan Fist, Mandarin Duck Fist, Mok Gar, Sun Bin Fist, Xiao Style, Yan Qing Chuan, Yue Shi Quan, 3 Star Cannon Strike, Ba Fa Fist, Damo Jian, to name a few.

BTW, I said that these forms are unavailable or rare in the USA. After all, some towns do well to have any martial arts schools at all, much less one which teaches Night Traveler Sect or Wudang Sword. Those of us in the hinterlands get our info where we can. :)
Mok Ga is available in the states. Try looking up Steve Martin in San Diego.

Damo Gim is also available in the states if you know where to look.

Either somebody here on or on another board practices Yue Family fist. Said it's real reminiscient of Xingyi.

Those others are pretty obscure.

Latest Discussions