Chinese proverb

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know. I think failing is a thing we all do, and rebranding failure as something can be counterproductive. Better to embrace failure as a integral part of learning.

While some folks will groan when I say this, I think this idea is central to why some styles succeed and others struggle at maintaining standards. As the dog in @drop bear 's video said, sucking at something is the first step to being kind of good at something (or something like that).
I hear you. I just don't think rebranding works all that well, though. I actually believe it's counterproductive.

Resilient people don't deceive themselves. They accept adversity as part of the process and keep chugging along.

Resilient teams don't punish their peeps for taking risks and failing.

Totally. I mean, there's a little more to it, but if you're taking risks, being creative, and understanding that if you're really pushing boundaries, you will fail more than you succeed, you are doing it right.
I almost always laugh at myself when I get something wrong during training. Laughing helps hit the reset button on breathing and on mental state. I don’t mean that one can’t fail, just how you deal with it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don’t think of it as failure, I see it as an opportunity to learn or teach. It doesn’t have to have any negative connotations.
I have a similar perspective. I don't don't look at failure or losing in a negative light. It's a normal characteristic of learning. I tend to use failure and losing in nonlearning environments where there is a heavy penalty for failure or for losing in the context of martial arts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know. I think failing is a thing we all do, and rebranding failure as something can be counterproductive. Better to embrace failure as a integral part of learning.

While some folks will groan when I say this, I think this idea is central to why some styles succeed and others struggle at maintaining standards. As the dog in @drop bear 's video said, sucking at something is the first step to being kind of good at something (or something like that).
Yep. How can one learn without failing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hear you. I just don't think rebranding works all that well, though. I actually believe it's counterproductive.

Resilient people don't deceive themselves. They accept adversity as part of the process and keep chugging along.

Resilient teams don't punish their peeps for taking risks and failing.

Totally. I mean, there's a little more to it, but if you're taking risks, being creative, and understanding that if you're really pushing boundaries, you will fail more than you succeed, you are doing it right.
I don't like rebranding failure. I think that's how people get into a mess in the first place. Someone rebranding and making failure to be something it isn't. People should watch babies teach themselves how to walk. They really go at it and they have no concept of failure. We as parents don't treat their failure as something negative. Some point in life people became afraid of it and that fear became self-destructive

Last edited:

Latest Discussions