Chi sau and Hubud Lubud....

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's supposed to be.

Dat saam sing is fundamental. There are soooo many Ip Man movies where he showcases this skill of smashing arms, right? The wooden dummy was designed for it ...

Thanks for mentioning it. I hope WC students notice.
To use forearm (not fist) to hit the back of your opponent's head and knock him out is a good MA skill. Not too many people train this skill today. I have not seen it's used in UFC yet.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, my GM and his teacher (1950’s) simply used boxing as open hands and used the concepts of sinawali and hubud opportunistically when the opening revealed itself. The same with breaks and locks. We learn a lot of stuff, but softening up the opponent first is key. With the knife we train NOT to duel or chase. Stopping the weapon abruptly, creating as much damage as possible, THEN break, lock, throw, etc. What is the difference between gunting and the boxing split entry? Just movement in a series of other movements.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, my GM and his teacher (1950’s) simply used boxing as open hands and used the concepts of sinawali and hubud opportunistically when the opening revealed itself. The same with breaks and locks. We learn a lot of stuff, but softening up the opponent first is key. With the knife we train NOT to duel or chase. Stopping the weapon abruptly, creating as much damage as possible, THEN break, lock, throw, etc. What is the difference between gunting and the boxing split entry? Just movement in a series of other movements.
I thought gunting was mainly limb destructions? Like when your opponent jabs at you you throw a hook to his bicep, or using your elbows to destroy his fist etc.

Latest Discussions